"Windows Defender"

Packerjim

How much do you pay for "Windows Defender" from Microsoft for your computer? It looks like it is free on the Microsoft website. A company is charging me $499.99 for a year service. I keep informing them NO , and they don`t stop. I told the do not charge me and I won`t pay . Have you had this issue? And is it just a rip off or is there some way this charge could be real?

It's a scam. Microsoft Defender is free and is included with Windows 10

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

TadMorose is absolutely correct. Keep in mind that Howard Forums is a cellular-based forum and not the best site to post computer questions. No harm done and put that company's offer into your trash bin. Do not attempt to reply to them or they will likely add you to their active list for new SPAM messages in the future.

TadMorose is absolutely correct. Keep in mind that Howard Forums is a cellular-based forum and not the best site to post computer questions. No harm done and put that company's offer into your trash bin. Do not attempt to reply to them or they will likely add you to their active list for new SPAM messages in the future.

I have not found anyone who has paid for this online . My reason for posting is I am trying to keep people from hacking my bank account.

I am glad you brought up the subject to help prevent others from falling victim to this scam. You clearly need to look out for your own interests and there is nothing wrong with that. Any chance you gave them any credit card or bank account information yet?

I am glad you brought up the subject to help prevent others from falling victim to this scam. You clearly need to look out for your own interests and there is nothing wrong with that. Any chance you gave them any credit card or bank account information yet?

Yea, I think they are the ones that did a previous hacking.

...Any chance you gave them any credit card or bank account information yet?
I'll ask this in a slightly different way.

Did you give them any current credit card or current bank account information yet? If so you need to change acct #s & passwords. If you are not locked out of your accts by the scammers already.

I'll ask this in a slightly different way.

Did you give them any current credit card or current bank account information yet? If so you need to change acct #s & passwords. If you are not locked out of your accts by the scammers already.

I`ve been changing credit cards and passwords several times. Hopefully they will not be getting in .

You might give your bank a heads up, just in case they try to sneak a charge in. Give them the name of the scammer and the amount to ensure they know and document your old and new accounts. I worked in a credit/debit card processing call center and have assisted customers with similar transactions. Easier to try to prevent these things ahead of time if your give your bank/credit card company the information ASAP. They should still be open to assist you if you call right away. Best wishes.

You might give your bank a heads up, just in case they try to sneak a charge in. Give them the name of the scammer and the amount to ensure they know and document your old and new accounts. I worked in a credit/debit card processing call center and have assisted customers with similar transactions. Easier to try to prevent these things ahead of time if your give your bank/credit card company the information ASAP. They should still be open to assist you if you call right away. Best wishes.

Thanks guys !

Even if it wasn't an obvious scam, $500 a year for a second-rate antivirus solution is way too much. The likes of Bitdefender and Kaspersky, two of the highest rated and acclaimed antivirus solutions for PC, are only between $20-99 a year depending on which package you purchase and if you get them on sale. This would have been my first red flag.

For the average user, Windows Defender is more than adequate protection and is free. Power users looking for additional tools/features can subscribe to more advanced products and nothing wrong with that. I have found that while Norton and McAfee, for example, are good products, they can be invasive and hog system resources.

Even if it wasn't an obvious scam, $500 a year for a second-rate antivirus solution is way too much. The likes of Bitdefender and Kaspersky, two of the highest rated and acclaimed antivirus solutions for PC, are only between $20-99 a year depending on which package you purchase and if you get them on sale. This would have been my first red flag.
For BitDefender there are a few BitDefender Authorized Retailers on eBay. ADMITTEDLY it is HARD to tell which ones are which. But I've gotten outstanding deals on BDTS on eBay. Currently riding a 5 users/ 5 years BDTS License for $55. And YES I did verify with BD I have a valid Retail License.

Back