We just switched from vBulletin to Xenforo

Cool. Looks nice. Image upload works very well.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to the new site!

Not sure if I like the new look or not. As with everything else, I will get used to it or move on.

i like the 'Whats new' link, make it really easy to see all the recent posts across sections. Maybe there was something similar on the old site but i never found it.

Looks good, A dark theme would be nice. Also, what are the plans for the mobile app? The current one no longer works and it's been delisted from the Google Play Store for sometime. Connecting through Tapatalk doesn't work either.

I'm looking into a dark theme and Tapatalk now. The Xenforo app itself is a web app, there is no Google or App Store version. Install instructions can be found in the side menu on the mobile site.

Dark mode is setup. At the bottom left of the screen, you can select it.

I like the look of it. Will we eventually see member profile stats in the avatar area as before, such as post counts, join dates, providers and devices used, etc.? I find that kind of thing pretty useful when encountering a poster I'm not familiar with. Helps to size things up.

How to jump to the first unread post in a thread on the new forum?

Also, how to distinguish which threads in a forum have unread posts.

Thanks!

I like the look of it. Will we eventually see member profile stats in the avatar area as before, such as post counts, join dates, providers and devices used, etc.? I find that kind of thing pretty useful when encountering a poster I'm not familiar with. Helps to size things up.
I've set it up to show what it will allow us to select. For the rest you'll have to visit their profile and then the About tab.

How to jump to the first unread post in a thread on the new forum?

Also, how to distinguish which threads in a forum have unread posts.

Thanks!
Clicking the thread title should take you to the first unread post.

They will be bolded in the default style. The dark style doesn't look like it shows that. I'll look into it.

Clicking the thread title should take you to the first unread post.

They will be bolded in the default style. The dark style doesn't look like it shows that. I'll look into it.
Clicking on the thread title seems to just take me to the first post in the thread.

@Boz1: This may be different than what frail mentioned, but assuming you're inside the desired forum, in the far right column, clicking (pressing) on the date above the name shown there (which should be the last, newest poster) takes you to that newest post.

Additional: Oh my, my first visit was on a Chromebook and I didn't see the user profile stuff under the screen name on the far left. But now on a tablet (Fire HD 10) and I'm seeing a lot more there, plus the general look of the mobile website is really good, and I don't feel (at least on a larger tablet) that I need to switch between mobile or full site as before (if that's even still a thing). I'll have to check it on my phone here shortly and see if I can read it on the smaller display!

Also I modified the URL for the site name shortcut (bookmark) to just howardforums.com (on one device so far; had been using howardforums.com/forum.php forever to go direct to the main forum list). It goes where it needs to with just that string.

Last edited:
Clicking on the thread title seems to just take me to the first post in the thread.
Strange. In Firefox on my Mac it works as it should, in Safari on my iPhone it does not.

I’ve been researching this and it seems to be a pretty widespread complaint. At best it seems to work erratically.

Mobile browser (Chrome) on my Moto G Power 2020 shows a nice font size. Won't have to mess around with extra selections, between devices with different display sizes. Slick. And so far threads are in ascending order (i.e. oldest first), as they should be (is that how it would be described? Ha-ha!).

More: Easy editing of existing posts on the mobile site on a phone-sized device, which didn't exist before. Things appear to scale quite nicely , too.

There are some forums (using who knows what platform) that can order things selectively either way, but I assume that is not intended to be part of the feature set here.

Hey, where's that ever-so-friendly lag from Cloudflare? Things just won't seem the same! This is quite a bit zippier, I'd say. 😉

Will there still be Stickies with some sort of denoted difference to distinguish them at the top of the sub-forums, like shading or the word "sticky"? I see the threads but there's no special treatment to them as before.

Last edited:
I'm looking into a dark theme and Tapatalk now. The Xenforo app itself is a web app, there is no Google or App Store version. Install instructions can be found in the side menu on the mobile site.
Thanks to the dark mode. Looks very nice. But I can't seem to find the instructions for the web app in the side menu 🤔1000008894.png

Back