Verizon-locked iphone on Visible...

monkeyboy

ToTW Winner
HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
Sprint PCS
Device(s)
HTC MyTouch 3G
How do you put a Verizon-locked iphone on Visible when Visible's IMEI checker immediately rejects the phone when it sees that it is not unlocked?

(I have an iphone 13 sim-locked to Verizon. It works fine on PagePlus.)

I was thinking I might be able to first activate another unlocked iphone on Visible with an eSim, then transfer that eSim to the locked iphone 13. Would that work?

Visible's instructions for eSim transfer talks about using their Visible app to do the eSim transfer, but can't iphone's swap eSims directly?

That plan with pSIM won't work. I tried & got kicked off the network after 10 days. It was BS it worked perfectly for 10 days.

That plan with pSIM won't work. I tried & got kicked off the network after 10 days. It was BS it worked perfectly for 10 days.
not sure which plan using pSIMs you are refering to.... I was thinking of using an eSim on an unlocked iphone, then transferring the eSim directly to the locked iphone... still no?

then how are people putting Visible on their Verizon-locked phones? apparently people in the forum have done it...

Just telling my experience with a VZW approved phone.

i would be concerned about any Verizon locked iPhone that is more than 60 days old

Verizon automatically unlocks devices 60 after purchase/activation unless they been identified as lost/stolen or some sort of 'fraud' in the purchase process. Devices still locked to Verizon after 60 days in most cases will also blocked from use on the network and possibly blacklisted across multiple networks. They may work for a short period of time if a SIM card is swapped in, but typically within a short time they will stop working.

> i would be concerned about any Verizon locked iPhone that is more than 60 days old

hmm.. now you got me worried as what you say makes sense... how to protect against this (within a swappa or ebay return period...)

can I ask Verizon if the phone has been blacklisted/fraudulent? It seems to work fine with a VZW or PPC sim, but haven't tried for 10+days...

Just telling my experience with a VZW approved phone.
ok... (thanks) so does this phone now work with any Sim? a VZW Sim? or is it all locked up and bricked?

> i would be concerned about any Verizon locked iPhone that is more than 60 days old

hmm.. now you got me worried as what you say makes sense... how to protect against this (within a swappa or ebay return period...)

can I ask Verizon if the phone has been blacklisted/fraudulent? It seems to work fine with a VZW or PPC sim, but haven't tried for 10+days...
you can ask Verizon, not sure if they will reply

as far protecting on an online purchase I would simply avoid any locked to Verizon phone unless buying it brand new

experienced sellers know the unlock policies and know they will be able to sell for a much higher price if they wait until the 60 day unlock on a clean handset, in other words second hand locked to Verizon devices with clean histories are extremely rare. i would simply stay away from them.

Never forget that a phone can be potentially "blacklisted" the same day, a few weeks later, a few months later so it is impossible to get a definitive answer to that. CS can only verify the current status.

There are many stories of this happening to some users on this site and I did see it happen as a former CS rep for At&t myself.

ok... (thanks) so does this phone now work with any Sim? a VZW Sim? or is it all locked up and bricked?
Haven't tried yet. But is an unlocked Metro phone & passes both TM & VZW IMEI checkers. It fails AT&T. Idk about AT&T MVNOs. Visible is VERY restrictive.

Setting aside the locked-or-not issue, eSIMs and iPhones

failing the Visible checker does not mean a phone won't work.

You just activate the pSIM in a phone that does pass, then swap it over

I've done this over the years with 15+ lines, seems to work with any phone that works on the VZW network.

I also agree to avoid secondhand VZW phones from commercial sellers, but personal ones that got unlocked organically should be fine.

Best is VZW-specifically compatible, factory unlocked, higher end Samsung from them or Best-Buy, Pixels are good...

just something related to all this:

all the carriers are doing 2 things related to locking/unlocking

1. they are making the official/authorized unlocking easier

2. they are cracking down on unauthorized unlocked handsets

What it all boils down to is it's best to avoid second-hand phones that are still locked to carriers unless you have a really good understanding of the risks, etc. and the phone is MUCH CHEAPER than an unlocked one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting aside the locked-or-not issue, eSIMs and iPhones

failing the Visible checker does not mean a phone won't work.

You just activate the pSIM in a phone that does pass, then swap it over

I've done this over the years with 15+ lines, seems to work with any phone that works on the VZW network.

I also agree to avoid secondhand VZW phones from commercial sellers, but personal ones that got unlocked organically should be fine.

Best is VZW-specifically compatible, factory unlocked, higher end Samsung from them or Best-Buy, Pixels are good...
Didn't work in my latest case. Or I should say worked for 10 days then got kicked off. It's Fd up of them.

Last edited:
It passes VZW IMEI checker. Visible fails even though it worked perfectly for 10 days.

Well, that's a real bummer... It appears that Total is probably the same. Has no one had recent success using Visible with a Verizon-locked phone? In the past (>1yr), many claimed success...

So I suppose the question is: What is the best prepaid MVNO plan for a Verizon-locked phone?

Pageplus used to be considered good, but now it is no longer competitive and knocking on death's door...

Visible fails even though it worked perfectly for 10 days.
That is not the odd part, the check sweeps can be very infrequent.

What would be odd is if it works fine for months on the VZW network otherwise

What is the best prepaid MVNO plan for a Verizon-locked phone?
Not a question of best, for actually locked ones

I thought the answer is, none will work.

Depending on the history of the phone may stop working even direct with VZW

That is not the odd part, the check sweeps can be very infrequent.

What would be odd is if it works fine for months on the VZW network otherwise
It will work "forever" on VZW proper. It passes the VZW IMEI checker.

Then it's either something special about that specific phone

or VZW is tightening up on how Visible works in that regard.

We have a dozen+ lines going whose SIMs were all activated with the same phone I got for free off Visible in the early days

Will be a shame if they get forced to move to a different provider

Back