USCellular USCC's being shopped around

Haas_Dave

Carrier(s)
T-Mobile (formerly Sprint), Project Genesis (Dish & AT&T), Mobi (Verizon)
Device(s)
OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S22, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi)
https://www.rcrwireless.com/20230804/carriers/tds-explores-sale-of-us-cellular

Sounds like their continued struggles being late to build out LTE and 5G is getting to them really quickly. Maybe should have looked at dropping CDMA sooner than ‘eventually.’

I hope none of the Big 3 try to buy them. Maybe Dish Wireless, but they still have growing pains and lack of immediate funding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I saw that, I’m willing to bet Verizon or AT&T is going to get them. I can’t see the feds allowing T-Mobile to bid on them after the blockbuster merger with Sprint, but hey, I could be wrong.

Yeah, I saw that, I’m willing to bet Verizon or AT&T is going to get them. I can’t see the feds allowing T-Mobile to bid on them after the blockbuster merger with Sprint, but hey, I could be wrong.
I highly doubt either of them are going to be able to buy them up with the way the FCC is turning out to be this administration. Dish could be favorable had they not have a debt problem right now

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

I highly doubt either of them are going to be able to buy them up with the way the FCC is turning out to be this administration. Dish could be favorable had they not have a debt problem right now

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

True and Dish would be a perfect fit.

Honestly, not sure AT&T needs them. In Southern Oregon AT&T and USCC seem to Co-Locate already and in most areas USCC has service, AT&T also has service too so again they would not gain much. I mean in General AT&T needs more towers/Small cells in Southern Oregon to fill in the Coverage Gaps they have now.

T-Mobile on the other hand would benefit as they do use USCC as a roaming partner in Southern Oregon and it would actually add Native coverage where they don't have it now. Right now in the areas T-Mobile does roam on USCC in Southern Oregon it is currently capped at 240kbps down/up.

Dish would be cool but I don't know if they have actually rolled out any coverage in Oregon yet.

Then again, compared to the other carriers USCC plans kinda suck as is and there is a rule about 50% of USCC data usage being "Home Network usage" vs Roaming usage.

US Cellular has no system here in the northwest quarter of Oklahoma, they rely on roaming to provide service, but they own a large amount of valuable spectrum here that they have never used, so a sale to a carrier who would actually USE that spectrum would be a good thing no matter how it plays out.

as much as I dislike Charlie, I think if the gov't was serious about having a legit 4th carrier, that dish is the only company that would make sense. They need the customers and spectrum

as much as I dislike Charlie, I think if the gov't was serious about having a legit 4th carrier, that dish is the only company that would make sense. They need the customers and spectrum
Has Boost kept their expansion promises to the FCC?

Has Boost kept their expansion promises to the FCC?

So far, yep. In fact, Dish at one point recently posted a list of markets that have full service (voice and data) for customers on a native network. You can look on Amazon's Boost Infinite store page for that list.

They still have some work to do before the next deadline, but they seem to be making an effort to be a fourth national carrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest rumor is tmobile, or verizon, or it being split up between the two. I'm curious, which company would be a better "fit" or synergy, in terms of spectrum that us cellular has?

“The WSJ reports that a T-Mobile/US Cellular “deal could be reached as soon as later this month.” Verizon reaching its own deal with US Cellular could result in “separate transactions that would give both buyers access to valuable airwaves,” the report said.”

Verizon's back in it? The first rumor from a couple days ago was that both were interested in the assets. Then later that day it sounded like Verizon was out and it was only T-Mobile left in talks.

I can't imagine that T-Mobile will be allowed to fully acquire all of the USCC spectrum assets. If USCC does sell as a whole, it will probably be to Comcast, Charter, or some joint venture of cable companies. I could see them banding together to make use of that backend NR infrastructure, sell off the customers who aren't in their cable footprint, and use the JV to operate a cable industry-friendly MNO.

Personally, I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that AT&T isn't in talks for any of the 850 MHz spectrum assets. There are several markets where USCC and Verizon are the incumbent CLR license holders. Likewise, I'm sure Verizon is very interested in getting that spectrum wherever they can. (Verizon would surely like to have USCC's assets in WV, for example.) USCC also has PCS, AWS, and C-band assets that would've eventually been rolled up into AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile in any other market without a fourth legacy competitor. And between T-Mobile and AT&T, AT&T is in far more desperate need of mid-band.

Verizon's back in it? The first rumor from a couple days ago was that both were interested in the assets. Then later that day it sounded like Verizon was out and it was only T-Mobile left in talks.

I can't imagine that T-Mobile will be allowed to fully acquire all of the USCC spectrum assets. If USCC does sell as a whole, it will probably be to Comcast, Charter, or some joint venture of cable companies. I could see them banding together to make use of that backend NR infrastructure, sell off the customers who aren't in their cable footprint, and use the JV to operate a cable industry-friendly MNO.

Personally, I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that AT&T isn't in talks for any of the 850 MHz spectrum assets. There are several markets where USCC and Verizon are the incumbent CLR license holders. Likewise, I'm sure Verizon is very interested in getting that spectrum wherever they can. (Verizon would surely like to have USCC's assets in WV, for example.) USCC also has PCS, AWS, and C-band assets that would've eventually been rolled up into AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile in any other market without a fourth legacy competitor. And between T-Mobile and AT&T, AT&T is in far more desperate need of mid-band.
Agreed! I find it kind of odd that AT&T is not interested at all, or they’re being very quiet about it. Honestly, I don’t think T-Mobile should get any of it as they have gotten a lot over the last few years with sprint. Plus, they just acquired mint mobile. But that would be for the DOJ to decide .

Last edited:
Back