Unlocked phone suggestions

The phone has not been shipped yet. When I do receive it, I will do a sim swap with my moto g7 play on att.

Pixel 6a unlocked new would still be in your price range I think. I sourced one through TracFone (typical 60 day unlock policy) but unlike other TracFone it doesn't have a custom ROM with all the TracFone bloat.

The only downside is app updates till July 2025 and security updates till July 2027. Which can be short but I dont know as I dont keep phones that long ;)

My $0.02...

Would the OP consider the Samsung Galaxy A15 5G (which currently retails at $199.99 USD)?
See "https://www.samsung.com/us/smartphones/galaxy-a15-5g/"

According to "www.PhoneScoop.com", presumably the factory unlocked version supports many of the major North American 5G & 4G LTE bands (cross-checked with "www.PrepaidCompare.net"):
  • 5G: n2, n5, n41, n66, n71, n77-A, n77-C
  • 4G LTE: b2, b4, b5, b12, b13, b30, b66, b71
It only aspires to entry-level smartphone specification, with a basic microprocessor paired with a basic OLED display. It also supports expandable microSD storage and still features a 3.5mm headphone jack!

FWIW, Samsung has pledged 4 generations of OS support & 5 years of security updates (which is segment-leading). However if the OP would consider stretching their budget upwards, the Samsung Galaxy A25 5G "https://www.samsung.com/us/smartphones/galaxy-a25-5g/" is worth considering instead IMHO.

#TeamMicroSDCard #TeamHeadphoneJack

Last edited:
So I looked at these Samsung phones A15 and A25 on Ebay. Could someone explain what an International Version is?

So I looked at these Samsung phones A15 and A25 on Ebay. Could someone explain what an International Version is?
Caution advised...

Generally "GSMArena.com" is a good source for models' radio support. After expanding the "Network" row, this comparison page lists the supported bands for both phones:
"https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12638&idPhone2=12555"
Specific models aren't identified, but it's likely that the listings apply to the 'International Version'.

Unfortunately not all of the North American AT&T or T-Mobile or Verizon bands are included (per the PrepaidPhoneCompare.net profile "https://www.prepaidcompare.net/profiles/at-t-prepaid.html"). Probably the best way to verify which radio bands are supported by the "International Version" is to reach out to Samsung directly...

YMMV

PS: Accidentally listed b29 as available in post #24 but it actually isn't, according to "PhoneScoop.com". This is actually impactful for AT&T coverage. Apologies for any inconvience!

Unless one has a NEED for an international model (e.g. frequent overseas trips), buying one to use in the US with providers that have a whitelist (AT&T, Verizon, and their MVNOs) is a poor idea.

Unless one has a NEED for an international model (e.g. frequent overseas trips), buying one to use in the US with providers that have a whitelist (AT&T, Verizon, and their MVNOs) is a poor idea.
No overseas trips. So it's best to avoid international versions, correct?

No overseas trips. So it's best to avoid international versions, correct?
I would avoid them. Besides the issue of whether or not they have the needed bands for US providers, I'm sure you've read posts in this forum from people who bought international versions of Samsung phones and couldn't activate them with TF/Verizon because the IMEIs weren't on their whitelist. AT&T has their whitelist by model numbers, the international models probably aren't on that list.

Basically most international versions limit you while in the US to providers on the TMO network.

Exceptions exist but it can get complicated.

Would be using on ATT. Tmo and Verizon do not work well, if at all, in our area.
ADDENDUM: This should help narrow the field... It's a list of "tested and approved devices" with specific model numbers (a.k.a. the "Whitelist"). Here's a PDF sourced from ATT:
"https://www.att.com/scmsassets/support/wireless/devices-working-on-att-network.pdf"

Note that ATT itself disclaims that the "Whitelist" is strictly for guidance, and that it does not guarantee full capabilities for all models listed. My recollection is that in the past, ATT would gatekeep features such as HD voice, WiFi Calling, and Visual Voicemail for BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) unlocked phones. Basically if the device did not have the "DeathStar" logo, they did not want to activate it!

Also, a reminder that there's also a "Blacklist" that also comes into play. This is for handsets which previously activated but have been reported stolen or were not fully paid off from carrier financing plans. Whenever looking at the secondary market, it's critical to check the device's IMEI beforehand. Here's a screening page from ATT BYOD:
"https://www.att.com/buy/byod/identify?devicetype=phone"

Hope this helps...

OK finally the key factoid is revealed.

So, if you want to use it on AT&T and increase the odds of all those features working,

and don't want to pay $700+ for a recent/new flagship iPhone or Pixel

then you need to avoid factory unlocked models, you want the AT&T-specific variant.

1 buy an eBay unit guaranteed to have already been unlocked so you can use it on any ATT-network provider, or

2 find an ATT-network provider that is subsidizing a model you want and comply with their terms on staying with their $X plan for Y time period waiting (six months for the AT&T mothership?) to get the phone unlocked

after which you can then use it on any ATT-network provider.

Consumer Cellular used to unlock on request as soon as your device was paid off, dunno if that is still the case.

Cricket might be cheaper, but lots of people complain how long it takes.

I received the phone today. I just pulled the sim card from my moto G7 play and popped it in the moto edge. It worked instantly. It does not have a micro sd slot. As for being unlocked I have not got that far yet.
Just playing with all the features and setting it up the way I use it.

Says only one left

I doubt a new instance will be offered again that cheap unlocked for a long time

I received the phone today. I just pulled the sim card from my moto G7 play and popped it in the moto edge. It worked instantly. As for being unlocked I have not got that far yet.
Which provider was your Moto G7 Play using?

The G7 play was on tracfone ATT.
When I went to device unlock in the apps, it asked for the imei number. I put it in and first it said it was not an att phone.
It also said that if it was paid for in full I had to wait 60 days before unlocking.
That is not an issue for me as I am able to use it on Tracfone att, which is why I bought anyhow.

The G7 play was on tracfone ATT.
When I went to device unlock in the apps, it asked for the imei number. I put it in and first it said it was not an att phone.
It also said that if it was paid for in full I had to wait 60 days before unlocking.
That is not an issue for me as I am able to use it on Tracfone att, which is why I bought anyhow.
"When I went to device unlock in the apps", which app is that? If the Moto Edge you bought from Amazon is sold as "Factory Unlocked", then it's not locked to any provider and will accept any SIM. You don't need to unlock it through TF. In fact, TF wouldn't have any way to unlock it.

The "only one left" notice no longer showing

The 2023 model is being discounted to lowest price ever, but still $200 extra compared to the 2022

"When I went to device unlock in the apps", which app is that? If the Moto Edge you bought from Amazon is sold as "Factory Unlocked", then it's not locked to any provider and will accept any SIM. You don't need to unlock it through TF. In fact, TF wouldn't have any way to unlock it.
When I pull up the app tray from the bottom, there is a "device unlock" app, also an ATT smart wifi app.

The device unlock app was also on my G7 play phone.

Back