Two Phone Numbers on an iPhone 16 Pro Max

buckoo

On my old iPhone 12 ProMax, I had an internal "electronic" sim and an actual "sim" socket where I place the sim from T-Mobile. I had been told that the phone could run two different "sim" numbers.

Can an iPhone 15 Pro Max which has no sim socket run two different sims? Planning on dropping my landline and get a cheap "sim" or activation to keep my old land line number. That way I can maintain my old phone number which I've given out for 30+ years as well as using my current cellular line. I've been told that it would have to be from a carrier other than T-Mobile to work.

Any thoughts,
Thanks

Yes it can. It can run two eSIMs simultaneously. It can also store a number more of them that you can easily switch between when you need to. You just need to make sure that the iPhone is unlocked.

..................You just need to make sure that the iPhone is unlocked.

I believe the OP may be also asking if both esim's (different numbers) can be on T-Mobile.
Which I'm thinking they can, and in that case the phone wouldn't need to be unlocked, correct ?

I believe the OP may be also asking if both esim's (different numbers) can be on T-Mobile.
Which I'm thinking they can, and in that case the phone wouldn't need to be unlocked, correct ?

In that case it would be no problem as long as it's on T-Mobile.

OP, if you're interested, you could also use Google Voice, which is free after the initial $20 port-in fee. I've had my old home phone # on GV since 2012.

If you want a more traditional plan, low-usage traditional cell plans start at $2.50/mo.

I am surprised T-Mobile doesn't promote Digits. It's a GREAT feature to allow you to have a T-Mo line on any device. I have it on my agency provided FirstNet phone and can leave my personal phone in my office, on my truck, and still make/get calls, texts from my T-Mo lines. Works on any carrier and is FREE. One can also pay $10 and get an additional Digits line(s). Great way to separate personal/business/stalker calls.

I am surprised T-Mobile doesn't promote Digits. It's a GREAT feature to allow you to have a T-Mo line on any device. I have it on my agency provided FirstNet phone and can leave my personal phone in my office, on my truck, and still make/get calls, texts from my T-Mo lines. Works on any carrier and is FREE. One can also pay $10 and get an additional Digits line(s). Great way to separate personal/business/stalker calls.
I was definitely intrigued when Digits was first introduced in May, 2017, because I had just gone all in on Google Voice over data only in March, 2017, at the time using both AT&T and T-Mobile data only SIMs in my cell phone, in addition to WiFI, and I sort of wondered if Digits could be an alternative. But since Google Voice over data only has worked so well as my only phone # since then, especially being able to use my GV # internationally, I never pursued digits.

I have dual SIM on my third "backup" phone: AT&T/FN on one physical SIM, and VZW on an E-SIM on my Google Pixel 8 Pro. Digits means I can get my calls/texts when in areas where T-Mo doesn't serve on deployments. I don't know why they don't promote it, to my knowledge AT&T and VZW don't offer anything like this, especially for zero dollars a month.

I have used GV before, but correct me is Google not trying to sunset legacy GV by taking away features to force you onto Google Workspace or Google Meets? Does GV support VoLTE? I have a friend who is a long time GV fan, but his calls always sound like garbage (could be his phone/carrier). Digits is full "HD" sounding VoLTE on every device, carrier agnostic, using data. People don't know you're not on your "real" phone and they all ring simultaneously if you're logged in. You should see the looks I get when I do carry both or all three phones and they all ring at the same time!

I have dual SIM on my third "backup" phone: AT&T/FN on one physical SIM, and VZW on an E-SIM on my Google Pixel 8 Pro. Digits means I can get my calls/texts when in areas where T-Mo doesn't serve on deployments. I don't know why they don't promote it, to my knowledge AT&T and VZW don't offer anything like this, especially for zero dollars a month.

I have used GV before, but correct me is Google not trying to sunset legacy GV by taking away features to force you onto Google Workspace or Google Meets? Does GV support VoLTE? I have a friend who is a long time GV fan, but his calls always sound like garbage (could be his phone/carrier). Digits is full "HD" sounding VoLTE on every device, carrier agnostic, using data. People don't know you're not on your "real" phone and they all ring simultaneously if you're logged in. You should see the looks I get when I do carry both or all three phones and they all ring at the same time!
Google isn't ending the mostly free consumer GV, at least not anytime soon, but it is true that they've taken away some previously included features. I use GV over data only, and voice quality is subjectively fine for me, but I don't know how the voice quality compares to Digits. Another deterrent to Digits for me is the cost of the primary plan. I've never paid more than $10/mo since I got my 1st cell phone in 1999, and significantly less for many of those years, and I hopefully never will. But Digits is definitely a unique feature that I'd be using it I were to have a full T-Mobile plan.

VoLTE only applies to cellular carriers. GV is a VoIP solution. Both are IP when used on a cellular phone, but VoLTE gets priority over data solutions.

Back