T-Mobile 5G Speed Test Results

Where possible, TMobile should be deploying all of their services on their infrastructure, especially if they are replacing older.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using HoFo mobile app

That is what seems to be happening and why there is n41 along rural stretches, some with 0 permanent population. I was just in Arizona and came across many places with 0 or near zero population where T-Mobile had fast n41 and the competition aging LTE only equipment on sites. We can argue whether n41 is truly required for some of these areas, but it's nice to see them put all of their assets to use when they climb a tower to modernize it, even in very rural areas.

That is what seems to be happening and why there is n41 along rural stretches, some with 0 permanent population. I was just in Arizona and came across many places with 0 or near zero population where T-Mobile had fast n41 and the competition aging LTE only equipment on sites. We can argue whether n41 is truly required for some of these areas, but it's nice to see them put all of their assets to use when they climb a tower to modernize it, even in very rural areas.

While I can't say that this is for 'all' sites, most sites in my area are built with the top configuration (600/700 MHz tall panel + square 1900/2100/2500 MHz) assumed
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.421...tiqJGQm5DiHAj-_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.407...FdIfLbI6d0X4iZUw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Some sites that were built ~ 2022 may still have the 3rd panel

Melbourne Beach Florida
IMG_0360.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Cocoa Beach Florida
IMG_0423.jpg

Top 5g NSA - n41 180MHz + n71 15x15 + B2 15x15 + B66 20x20
Bottom: n41 180MHz + n25 20x20 + n71 15x15

Note: better upload on Moto Edge 2022 +170Mbps, lower downloads Screenshot_20240310_092813_Speedtest.jpg

Just got back home to Georgia and the extra spectrum from auction 108 has been added. Speeds more than doubled on this site. Can’t wait to check the site serving my house as at was already giving about 1.2 down
image000001.jpgimage000000.jpg

In theory, with a site that's low use, you can get better than my results. Same n25 and n71 spectrum, but you habe an extra 10MHz of n41 that i don't

Does anybody here happen to know how long it might take to get all of these enabled around the system?

In theory, this is effectively a remote configuration change, basically allowing extra spectrum to be used.

In theory, this is effectively a remote configuration change, basically allowing extra spectrum to be used.

So, if I understand that correctly, it would be somebody, probably many people, working a keyboard(s) and enabling one site at a time with whatever keystrokes are necessary?

So, if I understand that correctly, it would be somebody, probably many people, working a keyboard(s) and enabling one site at a time with whatever keystrokes are necessary?

More than likely one 'team' performing a code update to configuration file (files) by MTA/BTA where each area gets its spectrum change. Eg. LA County was 100+40 before, and Ventura county was 100 before.
Now these are both 100+80, but may not be the exact same 100+80 for n41. Similarly, others have 100+90.
One would assume that there is a team responsible for updating this these fields in a configuration file.
Another team would approve (mgmt), and QA validate configuration doesn't crater the sites (think of AT&T a month ago, or Rogers in Canada a couple years back).
Terraform implements the change, and 'rebuilds' the configuration file and sites are updated ..massively.
One would expect that if possible for something like this, they'd use a canary style deployment (i.e. test out on BFE, validate, then continue with rest), as all sites in an area/region 'should' be the same for this kind of deployment where n41 exists.
Kind of like deploying Kubernetes

...One would assume that there is a team responsible for updating this these fields in a configuration file.
Another team would approve (mgmt), and QA validate configuration doesn't crater the sites (think of AT&T a month ago, or Rogers in Canada a couple years back).
Terraform implements the change, and 'rebuilds' the configuration file and sites are updated
Kind of like deploying Kubernetes...

I get the feeling that although some "...could see better performance in a matter of days..." that it may take longer for some others.

Some may never notice the difference. Eg. The tower near me (and many others) gave 180MHz on n41, but the tower is backhaul limited, so it will not pass ~750Mbps. Most American Tower/Crown Castle sites are good for more.

Back