new FreedomPOP (GSMA) free plan SIM spotted at target

Ad Above Message List
Avoiding roaming charges while using your US cell number overseas is another great use case for WiFi Calling.

My FreedomPop accounts are suspended (again). They make it almost impossible to renew. It looks like one account (the Target one) is demanding I use an app for renewal. The other one, where I finally found "subscribe" (not currently sure how) wants me to enter my credit card number again.

At any rate, in the off-chance I still want to jump through the hoops to keep these accounts, does anyone know how to get directly to "renew" (or whatever they're now calling it)? They don't make it easy to find. (In one account, the "Make Payment" choice is greyed out — I think that's the one where they want me to use an app.)

EDIT: Got the Walmart one to renew (on a flip phone). Apparently they "lose" your credit card information every month now. The Target account is on an old iPhone, so I guess that's why they're demanding I download the app for that one — or maybe the Target one is just different. I see there's another thread about this issue.

Last edited:
> FreedomPop does not support free WiFi calling from phones

No provider does. Many include UTT in their plans these days though, some as cheaply as $5/mo.
actually free WiFi calling was promoted as a feature on these GSMA Freedompop plans and I can confirm that when i tested on a wifi enabled phone it was in fact free. this was sort of a big deal when the plan launched since it was previously unheard of and has been unheard of since. see image below snipped out from the Walmart product listing

1713624041206.png

At least we are on the same page now. The folks over at Android Police can explain the pros and cons better than we can. If anyone is really interested here's the link for the scoop:
Update: both make free WiFi calls (that's what's important). You are correct (WiFi Calling has some cool features. By default it is turned off and should be until needed).

Last edited:
My FreedomPop accounts are suspended (again). They make it almost impossible to renew. It looks like one account (the Target one) is demanding I use an app for renewal. The other one, where I finally found "subscribe" (not currently sure how) wants me to enter my credit card number again.

At any rate, in the off-chance I still want to jump through the hoops to keep these accounts, does anyone know how to get directly to "renew" (or whatever they're now calling it)? They don't make it easy to find. (In one account, the "Make Payment" choice is greyed out — I think that's the one where they want me to use an app.)

EDIT: Got the Walmart one to renew (on a flip phone). Apparently they "lose" your credit card information every month now. The Target account is on an old iPhone, so I guess that's why they're demanding I download the app for that one — or maybe the Target one is just different. I see there's another thread about this issue.
i have 2 accounts (GSMA/Walmart) where I need to enter credit card info. the card i had been using on those lines is no longer being accepted. i get message 'the card has been used on a different freedompop account' i am actually walking away from those lines. i do have another one that does continue to have the card info saved, i had used a different card for that one.

i believe its specific cards that are being kicked out of the system and not others

OK so each FP account needs its own card, do not mix & match.

If virtual cards are still being accepted that's the way to go, just set a low limit.

CashApp or other disposable prepaid / fintech would be next best, with a low balance.

Finally a real-bank Debit card on an account dedicated to such needs not used for daily needs.

Personally I would avoid using a non-virtual CC that would actually give them a big amount, yes you could get it charged back but too much hassle and may eventually cause you to get flagged if you do it too much.

actually free WiFi calling was promoted as a feature on these GSMA Freedompop plans and I can confirm that when i tested on a wifi enabled phone it was in fact free
Wow that would be great if it worked.

Likely cost them, one factor behind why they are trying to get accounts closed as fast as possible now that the gov subsidies are scaled back

Even when you are calling using gVoice on your phone, your FP minutes are not touched.

VoIP is what gVoice is using, not using any cell provider tech, works the same from a tablet or computer, same with Skype or TextNow etc. You must use the VoIP app, not available from the native phone dialer.
These statements are not fully accurate. The Google Voice app on the phones has a setting under Calls that is for "Making and receiving calls"

That gives the person two choices including "Use carrier only" which as it states, "Google Voice calls will use your phone's carrier minutes instead of Wi-Fi or mobile data. Carrier rates apply. "

This is likely the setting that FreedompopUser had set originally when they saw their FP minutes being deducted.

The other setting choice is Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data, can still use carrier minutes if Wi-Fi or mobile data is not available.

In addition, the native phone dialer can be used on Android phones to make Google Voice calls. Again in the Google Voice settings, under "Calls started from this device's phone app", it gives the user the choice to call from the cellular number or the GV number.

In addition, the native phone dialer can be used on Android phones to make Google Voice calls. Again in the Google Voice settings, under "Calls started from this device's phone app", it gives the user the choice to call from the cellular number or the GV number.

I thought the same thing but even if I set GV as you say above, my minutes are deducted using native dialer, so I'm sticking with GV for wifi calls since can't get "WiFi Calling working on my Pixel 3 Verizon phone.

Last edited:
WiFi calling on ATT and its MVNO's very rarely works on non-ATT branded phones. iPhone are the most common ones for it to work.

@FreedompopUser: Perhaps it wasn't explained completely, but using the native dialer is always going to use your carrier's cellular voice function and charges. The choice GV gives you in this context is to either leave it alone (putting the call out normally and showing your carrier phone number to recipients), or to make it a "GV call," where the GV app quickly figures out an alias phone number for the recipient you've dialed/entered (using a small amount of data), then uses that alias number through the native dialer to direct the call. The result being the call goes over the phone voice network, through Google's servers, then back over the phone network to the recipient, presenting your GV number to them. It's a "GV call," but not a VoIP call as it would be through the GV app using data/Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
i have 2 accounts (GSMA/Walmart) where I need to enter credit card info. the card i had been using on those lines is no longer being accepted. i get message 'the card has been used on a different freedompop account' i am actually walking away from those lines. i do have another one that does continue to have the card info saved, i had used a different card for that one.

i believe its specific cards that are being kicked out of the system and not others
I installed the app for the iPhone and renewed. If they require one for the Flip Phone (on Walmart) next month I'll probably just let it go. I never use these phones anyhow, I just like that they're "alive."

People keep saying "Walmart" as if that defines which FP plan they have, but Walmart has sold BOTH the FP T-Mo 300/1000/100 AND the FP AT&T 100/100/100 plans! Just an observation...

@FreedompopUser: ....The result being the call goes over the phone voice network, through Google's servers, then back over the phone network to the recipient, presenting your GV number to them. It's a "GV call," but not a VoIP call as it would be through the GV app using data/Wi-Fi.

Forgot to turn off data and ran through 70mb in about a second -doh:mad:. So turned off data usage for almost every single bleeping app except google voice and native phone dialer. Also set monthly data limit on my phone to 90mb so should not be possible to ever go over 100mb limit ever again unless I choose to. As they say "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

So then, using WiFi and the FP phone app I added extra 100mb data for $2. Noticed while paying up there was a check box to save CC info. Did not check but wishing I had just to see if it remembers at renewal time. Last week when I had to add minutes, I did check that box so today my CC number was remembered by FP system, but it did not remember the 3 digit security code.

With these two changes data limits should be protected. Now wondering if there is a some app, some setting, someway to positively prevent nearly brain dead me from going over on my 100 call minutes?

Last edited:
People keep saying "Walmart" as if that defines which FP plan they have, but Walmart has sold BOTH the FP T-Mo 300/1000/100 AND the FP AT&T 100/100/100 plans! Just an observation...
I guess Walmart does have (or did have) both now. I lost interest in FreedomPop before Walmart actually got any of the AT&T SIMs in, so I don't think of them as FreddomPop AT&T provider. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

OK so each FP account needs its own card, do not mix & match.

If virtual cards are still being accepted that's the way to go, just set a low limit.

Data-point: I have an FP "GSMA" 100/100/100 and an FP "GSMT" 300/1000/100. Both are still on the same account/same email address, and I can toggle between lines within that single account.

Both, thus far, can be paid for using separate CapitalOne virtual Visa cards.

(Sidebar: I'd created a separate, additional FP account to move one of the lines to when there was that "keep lines individually on separate accounts" flap, but my "dual number/separate carrier on single account" situation has thus far never had a problem, so I've changed nothing yet.)

Just noticed on my first renewal date all minutes, texts, and data zero'd out, fortunately I was still able to use wifi on my phone. I could only renew from the app using wifi (could not renew from my computer). My card was remembered. Three digit security code on back of card did have to be entered. Only took a couple minutes to renew. Saving $10 per month for 2 minutes of work is essentially a $300 per hour labor rate, albeit only for two minutes; regardless, extremely worth it for me. Just another task to add to my Pixel 3 calendar.

Last edited:
I only use services that continue on without my having to remember to do anything on a specific day.

Usually a 1-3mo window for renewing is plenty, like my many TF lines, some have well over a year of service prepaid.

I do not consider Tello a "data rolls over" service for that reason, MobileX has a much better model.

Yes I realise this is a personal pet peeve, and am grateful that I am privileged to not actually "need" to save $20/mo

If you need to replace a SIM on the FP GSMA plan, you can use a standard RedPocket GSMA SIM and do it yourself in the Freedom Pop online account. I had an RP GSMA SIM in my drawer. So I just edited the SIM number and it was accepted. They do send you a PIN to the email address in your FP account and after that is confirmed the SIM is swapped.

I clicked the purchase FP SIM link first and it showed Out of Stock. So this is a good backup method.

Reactions: brg
Back