moto g stylus 5G (2023)

RodimusConvoy

Carrier(s)
Cricket
Device(s)
moto g stylus 5G 2021
Any info on this phone? All of the reviews seem to be for the unlocked version, with folks "guessing" that the Cricket version will be crippled. I mean they're probably right but why are Cricket-branded phones so secretive...having a hard time finding online manuals (pdfs) for it, as well.

Regardless I'm trying to figure out if this has expandable storage or not. Even the folks at the local Cricket store don't know.

I can't imagine there will be any "crippling" other than

perhaps not VZW compatible, and

the usual network / SIM lock.

Any info on this phone? All of the reviews seem to be for the unlocked version, with folks "guessing" that the Cricket version will be crippled. I mean they're probably right but why are Cricket-branded phones so secretive...having a hard time finding online manuals (pdfs) for it, as well.

Regardless I'm trying to figure out if this has expandable storage or not. Even the folks at the local Cricket store don't know.

The Moto G Stylus 5G 2023 is an ok phone with the Snapdragon 6 Gen 1 Platform. Moto did a lot of Cost cutting on the 2023 line, swapping most qualcomm processors for Mediatek, and like 98% of Moto's all 2023 models do not support eSim. It is also up to C-Band(N77) only as Motorola disabled mmWave on the phone.

With that said if you can live with that then its fine, though personally a cheap Samsung might be Better.

The Moto G Stylus 5G 2023 is an ok phone with the Snapdragon 6 Gen 1 Platform. Moto did a lot of Cost cutting on the 2023 line, swapping most qualcomm processors for Mediatek, and like 98% of Moto's all 2023 models do not support eSim. It is also up to C-Band(N77) only as Motorola disabled mmWave on the phone.

With that said if you can live with that then its fine, though personally a cheap Samsung might be Better.

Well when forced to switch from my non-5G Note 10 Lite to a 5G phone...I was given the choice of the Moto Ace (64GB???) or the Moto G Stylus 5G 2021. It was no-brainer. And...I still have that very phone.

I went into the Cricket on a lark and saw these upgrade prices for people who haven't bought a phone in 365 days. Kinda shocking since I was convinced Cricket doesn't care about older customers, only new ones.

So I can get the recent version (Moto G Stylus 5G 2023) for $60 + 25 activation fee + tax. They said it would change my payment date so try to make sure I do it around the day I want to pay my bill from now on.

Not sure how true that is, but ok.

But I figure, I know its not a great phone, but if its even marginally better than its predecessor then its a great in-between-phone. My sole sticking point is expandable memory.

Though now that you mention it, I might make another trip to see can I upgrade to a Samsung instead. I'll miss the stylus, but, I also miss having a Samsung as my daily driver.

The Cricket version will most likely lock you in much worse than other-branded version.

The ideal would be AT&T branded but network-unlocked.

Next best, factory-unlocked.

A VZW-specific model that has been unlocked (Tracfone is a cheap source) might be great too.

The 5G aspect does not make much difference yet on the ATT network.

So here's an interesting wrinkle. I went back to inquire about the phone but the store manager was there this time. He confirmed no my payment date wouldn't change, BUT the phone I was looking at, the *tag* was for the 4G version, but the display phone was the 5G version. The 4G version is $60 with upgrade, the 5G version is actually $130 with upgrade.

So I asked, and never got an answer, just laughter(???), why are you still selling 4G phones as I could have kept my 4G Note 10 Lite? I've seen Walmart still selling 4G Cricket phones, but that's Walmart I don't expect them to stay current.

There are reasons to declare models obsolete other than that, no provider is actually requiring 5G.

As I said, 5G might be "worth" paying more for in some circumstances, with ATT's status I say no but that's your call.

How much are you paying monthly? There are likely cheaper providers you can move your phone number to and keep using that phone, you spent a pretty penny, just on principle I would move on.

Maybe after moving, using that phone, see if Cricket will accept it with you applying as a new customer. Just for Science maybe?

Do you really need AT&T towers?

Finally, having the freedom to switch providers whenever you like, can save a lot more than what you spend on your phone per year.

I have the $60 unlimited plan. I do a lot of gig work so I'd rather not have anything less than that at the moment. And I do use the hotspot pretty often, so I'm stuck so to speak.

I can show you the texts I got saying "your current phone will no longer work when we shut down our 3G network on 2/22/22". So my only guess is they want to control which 4G (as in no 5G capability whatsoever) phones will still work or not, and that's a small list that includes their very own Cricket-branded phones.

In theory going to a corporate store they MAY be able to confirm that, even if indirectly (after all that's essentially incriminating themselves to dirty/grey area practices), but...eh. Now that I know the actual price I might save up for that instead.

I have the $60 unlimited plan. I do a lot of gig work so I'd rather not have anything less than that at the moment. And I do use the hotspot pretty often, so I'm stuck so to speak.

I can show you the texts I got saying "your current phone will no longer work when we shut down our 3G network on 2/22/22". So my only guess is they want to control which 4G (as in no 5G capability whatsoever) phones will still work or not, and that's a small list that includes their very own Cricket-branded phones.

In theory going to a corporate store they MAY be able to confirm that, even if indirectly (after all that's essentially incriminating themselves to dirty/grey area practices), but...eh. Now that I know the actual price I might save up for that instead.
I suppose, certainly an easier way out

but personally, **no way** I would ever accept "feeling stuck" especially at $60/mo

Yes chopping and changing providers frequently can be a pain, but financially it pays off

well worth paying more for unlocked to get that freedom.

But, you do you

I suppose, certainly an easier way out

but personally, **no way** I would ever accept "feeling stuck" especially at $60/mo

Yes chopping and changing providers frequently can be a pain, but financially it pays off

well worth paying more for unlocked to get that freedom.

But, you do you

Hated for "stuck" to sound negative, cause its not, I just meant with unlimited everything PLUS 15GB hotspot, I'd have to find another MVNO that can do better than that. And the service itself has been good to great. I really have no complaints there.

There's also the Mexico roaming thing, but I have no idea when I'm going back for a visit (knock on wood its before the year ends) so really the only sticking point is to find something the same/better than 15GB hotspot *and* won't permanently throttle me the rest of my billing cycle after I reach a certain threshold on unlimited data (H2O wireless).

Service itself, Cricket seems to be king, or at least duke behind AT&T Prepaid lol Their phone practice though is what's shady and probably not worth it.

Hows the Verizon/T-Mob service where your at.
Might want to look at US Mobile.

ba0a69f80baeb213fa64c01d80ace1c4.jpg

US Mobile QCI 7
Cricket QCI 8

I'm not "married" to Cricket by any means, it just works for me and when it stops working I'll leave them. This was really about getting a certain phone for cheap (its just the rug was pulled out from under me on the price), but has everyone moved on from Cricket? Just curious.

But anyway, to be clear: I'm tired of this 2021 Stylus, and even if I go to another network, I don't want it to be with the same phone I'm tired of. On the other hand, stop being cheap with the next phone and sky's the limit (talking to myself here lol)

Hows the Verizon/T-Mob service where your at.

I have some relatives that swear by Verizon. T-Mobile...well I hear they're better post Sprint absorption, I just had several bad experiences with them beforehand.

Might want to look at US Mobile.

ba0a69f80baeb213fa64c01d80ace1c4.jpg

US Mobile QCI 7
Cricket QCI 8

That is tempting. Do you have it and if so how do you like it?

I'm not "married" to Cricket by any means, it just works for me and when it stops working I'll leave them. This was really about getting a certain phone for cheap (its just the rug was pulled out from under me on the price), but has everyone moved on from Cricket? Just curious.

But anyway, to be clear: I'm tired of this 2021 Stylus, and even if I go to another network, I don't want it to be with the same phone I'm tired of. On the other hand, stop being cheap with the next phone and sky's the limit (talking to myself here lol)

I have some relatives that swear by Verizon. T-Mobile...well I hear they're better post Sprint absorption, I just had several bad experiences with them beforehand.

That is tempting. Do you have it and if so how do you like it?

I’m on Verizon prepaid, doing the 100 day free trial on US Mobile, with an extra Tracfone number i didn’t need.
By Far, US Mobile beats Verizon prepaid.
When my credit is used up on Verizon, i’l be porting out.

Other than being locked to Cricket for 6 months, I don’t know what else could be crippled on the Moto phone. If you get the 5G phone, it most likely won’t work on Verizon since it won’t have their “high” speed 5G bands. Since Cricket uses AT&T, the phone should be fully compatible if you switch to an AT&T plan after the phone is unlocked.

There used to be a couple of YouTube phone reviewers who actually worked for Cricket and review the Cricket versions of the phones. One would even film them in the back room of her store. Lol. They weren’t comprehensive reviews, more like an unboxing and initial impressions.

It seems the phone had pretty good reviews. It’s not flagship level but good nonetheless.

I'm very happy with mine. I've used these ever since the g5's came out, after I got tired of laughing so much for the top end stuff. Sure they're not the same as the$1000 phones, but when your can get them for virtually free and at the present, cricket is still a good value, all IMO.

I will buy one when the free with port-in deal reappears. However, I read in one of the customer reviews for this phone on the Cricket Wirless website that 5G cannot be disabled. In some instances, disabling 5G can make the phone work better and significant reduce power consumption. I don't know if this is something that Cricket does now or it is the Moto phone. I wonder if one can disable 5G on the Cicket Samsung A14, A54, or 5G iPhones ?

Well when forced to switch from my non-5G Note 10 Lite to a 5G phone...I was given the choice of the Moto Ace (64GB???) or the Moto G Stylus 5G 2021. It was no-brainer. And...I still have that very phone.

I went into the Cricket on a lark and saw these upgrade prices for people who haven't bought a phone in 365 days. Kinda shocking since I was convinced Cricket doesn't care about older customers, only new ones.

So I can get the recent version (Moto G Stylus 5G 2023) for $60 + 25 activation fee + tax. They said it would change my payment date so try to make sure I do it around the day I want to pay my bill from now on.

Not sure how true that is, but ok.

But I figure, I know its not a great phone, but if its even marginally better than its predecessor then its a great in-between-phone. My sole sticking point is expandable memory.

Though now that you mention it, I might make another trip to see can I upgrade to a Samsung instead. I'll miss the stylus, but, I also miss having a Samsung as my daily driver.
Nokia phones still have a slot for expandable storage/dual sim. You can do one or the other, or do nothing.

Sent from my Nokia C2 Tennen using Tapatalk

And you can buy Nokia phones from Amazon and probably from their website completely unlocked. Just check the carriers list of compatible phones.

I'm still using Cricket, they don't throttle my data and I have an unlimited data account. For the most part I'm very happy with them.

Sent from my Nokia C2 Tennen using Tapatalk

I will buy one when the free with port-in deal reappears. However, I read in one of the customer reviews for this phone on the Cricket Wirless website that 5G cannot be disabled. In some instances, disabling 5G can make the phone work better and significant reduce power consumption. I don't know if this is something that Cricket does now or it is the Moto phone. I wonder if one can disable 5G on the Cicket Samsung A14, A54, or 5G iPhones ?

if the network selection options are blocked in the settings menus you likely can still do '*#*#4636#*#*' and select 'Phone information' and select network preferences from there.

Got this for $0 + $40 only 1 month required for unlock after 6 months from Metro. It does have MicroSD capability. I'm hoping & pretty confident it'll work on Visible by Verizon with an already activated SIM.

Back