Metro flex

Objective commentary on developments is more useful that posting straight PR / promotional advertising.

Getting a crappy phone "free" is an immediate ick IMO, people really should get their (higher quality) devices from ANY source other than their service provider.

Bundling an evil empire deal even more so.

Plans costing over $15-20mo these days better offer something very compelling, like lots of hotspotting, or 100's of GBs of high-speed on-device data when I might need it without my having to think about it.

If my dollars are paying for B&M stores then when I visit I should not get pressured / deceived and end up getting worse value than I can get online advised by HoFo members...

Plans costing over $15-20mo these days better offer something very compelling, like lots of hotspotting, or 100's of GBs of high-speed on-device data when I might need it without my having to think about it.
You have to look at it through the lens of the customers they're targeting... These are the Metro/Cricket/Boost crowd that are already paying $50+ a month because they go into the stores to sign up. The single largest complaint about Metro recently, beyond the usual "stores are scammers," has been that upgrade pricing was ended for all but the cheapest phones. Now the phone price is built into the package. This will be extremely successful for Metro and now that they're tacking on a $50 charge to downgrade your plan if you get a phone with this deal, it will end a lot of the people signing up and then killing dealer commission by walking out of the store and downgrading immediately shenanigans, which could result in less scummy dealer actions going forward.

Paul,

I agree in retrospect, I should of added some context into the post, instead I hurridly posted something I thought might turn into an interesting conversation, anyways heres my context on it.

T-Mobile made so many additional changes along with this that its actually worse for customers than before. Unlocking has gone from 180 days to 365, customers are stuck on more expensive plans for the cheap upgrade offers and worst of all there is a new $ 50 fee to move to a cheaper plan anytime in the first 6 months after activating.

Overall it sucks !!!!

the best offering by far from Metro is there $ 25 Unlimited that requires a BYOD device

the best offering by far from Metro is there $ 25 Unlimited that requires a BYOD device
Let's see if they keep this plan. It's being suggested the $40 unlimited plan is going away so it doesn't bode well for the future of Metro pricing.

i am starting to see this trend of more than in the past attempting to segment prepaid into cheap plans for BYOD or full retail purchase and significantly higher priced plans with free devices and with safe guards to protect the revenue beyond the first month.

looking back retention plans even if very popular with customers are actually not kept around long by carriers, they are simply more interested in gaining customer off other carriers or adding incremental lines than keeping existing customers happy.

Boost had plans a different times where the price decreased with time, these were very highly liked by customers but quickly killed soon after launch each time they were announced.

the deciding factor will likely be does T-Mobile see these plans attracting more customers from the competitors(Boost, Cricket, Total by Verizon)

another major challenge to this new offering is the trade-in requirement. vast majority of 'upgrades' and also switcher from other carriers at retail prepaid stores involve replacing a lost, stolen or broken handset. there is usually nothing to trade in. when customer do have a decent and working handset they more likely than not already have plans for it either to keep as a back up or give to another family member who is need of device. Metro has been trying for years to make trade-in's part of the switch or upgrade process and so far has had very little traction with it.

I have been made aware of the crazy restrictions these plans have and just... wow... It's very easy to screw yourself out of your "free" upgrade. These are contracts, no doubt about it.

I have been made aware of the crazy restrictions these plans have and just... wow... It's very easy to screw yourself out of your "free" upgrade. These are contracts, no doubt about it.
Yeah, the more I read about this the more "yada yadas" I see with it. The $25 plan is a great deal, I just wish T-Mobile wasn't so bad for me in my area.

Yeah, the more I read about this the more "yada yadas" I see with it. The $25 plan is a great deal, I just wish T-Mobile wasn't so bad for me in my area.
It's incredible that they expect people to pay $75 a month to get a "free" iPhone 11 and then they have to make 3 years of perfect on time payments to get their next "free" upgrade... A single suspension resets the clock. Like what? It's bad enough you're going to stick customers with LTE only devices when T-Mobile is about to go down to only having a skeleton LTE network but to stick them with it for 3 years with all these restrictions? How out of touch can you be with your customer base!?

Typically predatory behaviour, taking advantage of desperately low income and low-information "I just want an iPhone" customers, in order to maximize corporate profit.

Way over half of USians could not afford to spend $1k without borrowing, even for a true emergency.

Half have less than $500 in a savings account, a third less than $100

So the aftermath is that the $30 5GB and $40 unlimited plans on the website are now heritage plans that you have to sign up with customer service to get. The $40 unlimited plan is replaced with a $45 ($40 with autopay) 10GB plan. The $30 ($25 with autopay) unlimited plan is still available for BYOD customers signing up in store or online (but stores will likely continue to act like the $30/$25 plan doesn't exist) but continues to be buried on the website such that it is easy to miss.

For most customers, this means the cheapest Metro plan is now $45, up from $30, and the most expensive is now $75, up from $65. There are no phone deals available if you don't get the new Flex plans either, which means the floor on those has been raised to $55 ($50 with autopay), up from $40 for the cheaper ones.

There are no phone deals available if you don't get the new Flex plans either, which means the floor on those has been raised to $55 ($50 with autopay), up from $40 for the cheaper ones.
From May last year to April this year, I bought 8 phones from Metro (5 Androids, 3 iPhones), I kept 3 to use and will sell the rest. With the new 1-yr wait to unlock and the higher plan costs, no more Metro phones for me.

From May last year to April this year, I bought 8 phones from Metro (5 Androids, 3 iPhones), I kept 3 to use and will sell the rest. With the new 1-yr wait to unlock and the higher plan costs, no more Metro phones for me.
Well that's a net positive for them because all those phones were losses.

To the extent a provider closes all their loopholes, aren't allowing edge case / smart users to be loss leaders

they won't be of much interest to members here

this is an example of exactly what they trying to achieve, but they will also lose a lot of profitable customers as well.

very few care about the unlocking so thats not such a big deal but all the boxes needing to be checked for a discounted upgrade will start to cost them. it is entirely possibly though that within a few weeks much is reversed and a new 'discount upgrade for everyone' promo deal gets launched

this is an example of exactly what they trying to achieve, but they will also lose a lot of profitable customers as well.
I don't blame them for tightening the terms and raising the prices. The previous deals were just too good, unless they were using them to increase the number of customers/lines to temporarily skew their book numbers. Tracfone offered very generous rewards points for new lines/accounts right after they were bought by Verizon in November 2021, then significantly reduced the number of points in 2023.

There are hundreds of pages of posts on Slickdeals from people abusing the old promos to get phones to flip so I'm not surprised they went this route.

for years it appeared Metro was used as tool by T-Mobile to pump up net activation numbers to close out slower than expected quarters.

with Mint they now have a much lower cost and possible more effective tool for achieving the same

Back