Keep Losing Internet Connection

Try this suggestion with customer service, ask them to update the IRDB stored in your phone (if they still use that phrase). This is a roaming data base that tells the phone which towers to connect to. Sometimes, the phone can attempt to connect to remote towers when there are closer towers that would provide a better connection. I did this type of trouble shooting as a CS rep for At&t/Cingular for many years.

That's an interesting idea. I know that when I had Verizon for almost 20 years, once a month I would do a *228 on the phone to manually update the PRL (personal roaming list).

That's an interesting idea. I know that when I had Verizon for almost 20 years, once a month I would do a *228 on the phone to manually update the PRL (personal roaming list).

I remember when I first switched to Verizon after leaving At&t doing the same thing. I recall that when 4G rolled out, they asked their customers to stop using the *228 option and I am not certain if At&t stopped using the IRDB update method.

I remember when I first switched to Verizon after leaving At&t doing the same thing. I recall that when 4G rolled out, they asked their customers to stop using the *228 option and I am not certain if At&t stopped using the IRDB update method.
I have a friend from the Samsung Forums and he has the same S22 Ultra model that I have and is also on ATT Prepaid. This week he's on vacation driving a lot and said he is having the same issue as described on this thread: where the phone wants to stay connected to a weak 5G signal and not go to a much strong 4G LTE signal. He had to go into the *#*#4636#*#* menu and select Network Type to one without NR listed, so it will only connected to LTE (keeping 5G/5G+ n bands off).

He would like to know why this is happing. Is it and ATT network issue.....is it because he is on a "prepaid" plan and not "post paid"....would the S23 Ultra or S24 Ultra have the same issue.

I suspect that you and your friend travel in an area with weak or non-existent 5G coverage. If that is the case, the type of phone in use will have little to no improvement in coverage. I think that post-paid does get preference on the existing network over prepaid.

These issues sound like software in the phones and not hardware itself but newer devices are more current on their updates. I had the same issue on an Ipad mini 4 where airplane mode would fix disconnections on AT&T Prepaid. The device could have been upgraded via software to fix the issue but they want you spending more to upgrade as they will only issue updates to the latest hardware. It will be a constant cycle as technology progresses with wireless technology. If the older device isn’t being updated then you have to upgrade to a newer model with a stable modem chip that is getting updated. My device did get updates during when I had it but is now completely outdated.

Last edited:
Back