International Travel Concerns

gjkiii

Carrier(s)
T-Mobile
Device(s)
Note 9
So I will be doing some traveling in different countries. According to the T-Mobile site I am covered internationally in over 200 countries. The countries I will be in are on that list. Should I be concerned that it not as simple as that and I am going to get a major roaming overage. I have read horror stories from Tmobile customers and I am trying not to end up with an insane bill. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you very much,

Details of plan? How can an answer be given with just the carrier??? Chances are there will be roaming charges but the plan and fine print are key to the answer.

Read the fine print of international roaming and see how it will apply to you regarding call costs and data allotment. I have a Magenta plan from 2020 and I typically just get day passes for data (my trips tend to be short) which also covers any calling I might do and I've never had a surprise on my bill.

Thanks for the info. I have the One Plan and the rep told me that I am covered minus the phone calls (25 cents per min). The rep also said that I would get 5 gigs of hi speed data and then get throttled after that but there would be no overages in those countries listed.

Does your ONE plan have a Promo code attached, or is it just the ONE feature? Basic ONE plans have the free High Speed 5Gb data in only 11 countries. You didn't mention which countries you intend to visit. If you don't get the full 200+ roaming coverage, you will only have slower, free unlimited data of 256kbps for the 200+ list. Where will you be going?

Does your ONE plan have a Promo code attached, or is it just the ONE feature? Basic ONE plans have the free High Speed 5Gb data in only 11 countries. You didn't mention which countries you intend to visit. If you don't get the full 200+ roaming coverage, you will only have slower, free unlimited data of 256kbps for the 200+ list. Where will you be going?
Still trying to figure that out. Probably UK, Germany and Switzerland for starters. My one plan has a promo for a free line attached to it. I talked to a rep and the rep said I was covered in the 200 countries but reps have been wrong before so I thought I would ask in this forum. I don't care about the throttling. I just want to make sure that I don't get a 10,000 bill for. example. (I have been seeing articles on that lately)

My advice is to leave the phone in airplane mode while traveling internationally and waiting to use local Wi-Fi when available for all internet and Wi-Fi calling. I have been to Italy twice using that method and had no international roaming charges for both trips.

I have the One plan and used it (quite slow) in Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Croatia and Malta with no charges. NOTE: calls will cost you.
If you are worried, use the "temporary unlock" feature, and pick up a prepaid Sim overseas.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using HoFo mobile app

I believe it's 13 countries: Canada and Mexico, plus 11 European countries.

Only after the local media ran the story did T-Mobile credit the full amount, the eluded to the "customers need to check their plan". Customer claims he did that prior to departing and was advised he was covered. Never trust what someone tells you, always go by what is on your account and print it out in WRITING. Customer claims he has traveled internationally and never got a shaft-a-roo bill like this.
This entire industry operates with little to no adult supervision so the onus is fully on the customer to get everything in writing, even then, when the carriers want to play games, it's going to be a battle so come prepared.

Only after the local media ran the story did T-Mobile credit the full amount, the eluded to the "customers need to check their plan". Customer claims he did that prior to departing and was advised he was covered. Never trust what someone tells you, always go by what is on your account and print it out in WRITING. Customer claims he has traveled internationally and never got a shaft-a-roo bill like this.
This entire industry operates with little to no adult supervision so the onus is fully on the customer to get everything in writing, even then, when the carriers want to play games, it's going to be a battle so come prepared.
From my experience of international travel with At&t, Verizon, and T-Mobile, every time that I traveled outside the US, when my phone connected to the foreign network for the first time, I received a warning on my phone about potential roaming charges and to contact my carrier. In my opinion, customers should be accountable for ignoring those warnings.

T-Mo seems pretty clear on data amounts, speeds, and calling costs in the welcome text when you register on a foreign network. It seems difficult to not understand what you're in for. Looking back through those texts I see they've changed a bit over the years:

2022:

Welcome to Canada! Don't worry. Call, text, and browse on your T-Mobile plan at no extra charge. Visit t-mo.co/sgmwb to read info about the data experience for your plan.

Welcome to Czechia! Your T-Mobile plan gives you unlimited data at up to 2G speeds and texts at no extra cost! Calls at 25 cents/min. Visit t-mo.co/intl-roam1 to learn more and view additional calling/data options. Enjoy your stay!

2023:

T-Mobile: Welcome to Canada! Your plan includes coverage that gives you 5GB/mo. of high-speed data On Us, plus unlimited calls and texts to and from the US, Mexico, and Canada at no extra cost. Enjoy your stay!

T-Mobile: Welcome to Portugal! Your plan includes coverage that gives you unlimited data On Us now at faster speeds up to 256Kbps, plus unlimited texts at no extra cost! Calls are $0.25/min. Visit t-mo.co/intl-roam1 to learn more and view additional calling/data options. Enjoy your stay!

Still trying to figure that out. Probably UK, Germany and Switzerland for starters. My one plan has a promo for a free line attached to it. I talked to a rep and the rep said I was covered in the 200 countries but reps have been wrong before so I thought I would ask in this forum. I don't care about the throttling. I just want to make sure that I don't get a 10,000 bill for. example. (I have been seeing articles on that lately)
Well, you are covered for low speed roaming in over 200 countries, and with the right add on code, high speed 5Gb also. If you are not entitled to high speed in the 200+, the roaming speed will be at either 128 or 256kbps. Adequate for texting, email, & basic mapping. Switzerland is not included in the basic 11 Euro group however. Virtually all of Europe gets one or the other speed on a ONE plan according to the T-Mobile website. I've roamed in Switzerland on my ONE plan without any charges or problems.

The person who got the big bill recently seemed to be quite cavalier about his plans (Lack Of) included features in my opinion.

From my experience of international travel with At&t, Verizon, and T-Mobile, every time that I traveled outside the US, when my phone connected to the foreign network for the first time, I received a warning on my phone about potential roaming charges and to contact my carrier. In my opinion, customers should be accountable for ignoring those warnings.
Customer claims he was assured by T-Mobile he had roaming included. So, who do you believe as a consumer, your carrier's customer care who you presumably used due diligence and contact BEFORE leaving or a text message you ASSUME he got stating roaming was NOT included? We don't know for a fact what plan the customer/victim was on. We do know T-Mobile quickly wrote off the entire balance once publicly documented.

Why did no fraud prevention stop the balance from accruing? Someone orders a $1200 iPhone, they get a call/text/email asking for some type of verification but a single line CONSUMER who's allegedly been a longtime customer and never had a balance that high starts racking up charges into the tens of thousands and no system flags it? Sounds rigged to me.

At some point we need to stop blaming the victim and holding these corporations accountable. Be transparent, be honest.

Customer claims he was assured by T-Mobile he had roaming included. So, who do you believe as a consumer, your carrier's customer care who you presumably used due diligence and contact BEFORE leaving or a text message you ASSUME he got stating roaming was NOT included? We don't know for a fact what plan the customer/victim was on. We do know T-Mobile quickly wrote off the entire balance once publicly documented.

Why did no fraud prevention stop the balance from accruing? Someone orders a $1200 iPhone, they get a call/text/email asking for some type of verification but a single line CONSUMER who's allegedly been a longtime customer and never had a balance that high starts racking up charges into the tens of thousands and no system flags it? Sounds rigged to me.

At some point we need to stop blaming the victim and holding these corporations accountable. Be transparent, be honest.

I understand that the CS rep may have not clearly explained this, but I know for a fact that the roaming notices show on the phone (at no cost) and warn the consumer when first connecting to a foreign network and encouraging the user to contact their carrier if there are any questions.

The carriers are profiting from this but that is how companies make profits. Don't try to tell me that users are not warned about this on their devices. As a former CS rep for At&t and a mobile user who has traveled internationally on more than one occasion over the past few years, I know what I am referring to. I am not giving anyone a free pass on their responsibility; I am pointing out the reality as I see it from both sides, as a consumer and a former representative of a cellular carrier.

To paraphrase an old expression, they are giving you enough rope to hang yourself. A typical user will become equally enraged if their phone/device doesn't work internationally, despite the fact their carrier doesn't provide the network internationally or that their phone could potentially be incompatible with those networks. There are always 2 sides to the story.

Before anyone asks, cellular carriers always provide a way to dial customer service while traveling internationally at no charge.

Back