If I restore an old iPhone, can it effect the Apple ID of the new iPhone with the same account?

Relztrah

Carrier(s)
back on Tello after a long hiatus
Here's the scenario. My sister-in-law gave me her old iPhone to use. She has since purchased a newer iPhone and transferred all data, apps, etc. to the new phone. Unfortunately she doesn't remember the screen lock passcode for the old phone. She gave me several possibilities, none of which worked, so now the old phone is disabled. The screen reads, "Try again in 5 minutes" but why? She can't recall the screen lock passcode.

There is a way to connect the phone to my PC and perform a restore using iTunes. I began this procedure, but then when I saw the restore button I wondered if doing so would restore her Apple ID to this old phone and somehow remove it from her current phone. I don't know her Apple ID and password, but of course her Apple ID was at one time on this phone.

So my question is, if I perform a restore using iTunes, is there any possible way it can effect her current phone or Apple ID in any way? I can't believe that doing the iTunes method of restoring an iPhone will simply wipe the phone clean to off-the-shelf condition because then anybody with a stolen iPhone could perform it.

She lives in another state and will be visiting in a couple months. We could go through this procedure together and if I get prompted to enter the user's Apple ID, she would gladly do that for me if it allows me then to remove her Apple ID from the phone and use mine.

Has anybody performed this procedure and can give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

you should be fine but before you restore have your sister-in-law remove the iPhone from her iCloud account(particularly from 'find my iPhone') if it is still linked

you won't impact anything on her iPhone but you will also not be able to setup the phone at all without entering her Apple ID username and password if she does not remove it first.

According to this:

If you have her Apple ID and password or if she wants to I believe you can go here on a web broswer for example:

https://www.icloud.com/find

And sign in....

one.JPG

new2.JPG

It may send out a two factor authentication to the devices:

new3.JPG

Then you are in and can choose device:

new (1).JPG

And from there the device can be removed or erased and removed, if it is online and connected to the internet, which I don't believe you are. See info below.

last3.JPG

remove.jpg

erase.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I don't know her Apple ID and I'm not comfortable asking for it over the phone or email. She will visit in two months and I'll get it from her then and with her present, I'll follow the above procedure. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
I restore, jailbreak, tweak, mod, and play around with iDevices 24/7. You'll be perfectly fine if you restore with iTunes or just factory reset normally.

I restore, jailbreak, tweak, mod, and play around with iDevices 24/7. You'll be perfectly fine if you restore with iTunes or just factory reset normally.
Yes, but I will need her Apple ID in order to do that, correct?

I don't think so.

As long as she removes the device from her Apple account you should be able to restore it, login to your apple account on the device and set it up. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong (not sure how activation lock plays into that.).

Last edited:
I don't think so. As long as she removes the device from her Apple account you should be able to restore it, login to your apple account and set it up.
You might need it, but I'm not sure. If it asks for the Apple ID you might as well re-flash the OS entirely using 3uTools.. To do this, download the IPSW for your iDevice and flash using the "iTunes flash" mode in 3uTools. This will not ask you for a passcode/Apple ID code and will take the same amount of time as iTunes.
Download your IPSW here: https://ipsw.me/
Download 3uTools here: https://www.3u.com/
[Disclaimer: I don't know the level of tech experience you have, therefore I don't recommend this if you are simply a user.]
Hope this helped!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I don't know her Apple ID and I'm not comfortable asking for it over the phone or email. She will visit in two months and I'll get it from her then and with her present, I'll follow the above procedure. I appreciate your help.
she can easily remove it using another device logged into the same Apple ID

settings - Apple ID field at the top - select the device from list at bottom - 'Remove from account'

after you restore with iTunes a check will be made with Apple to see what the current status is, if the device has been removed it will go straight to a new set process

think about this way: the device itself is not locked to an Apple ID, rather the device is listed on Apple's server as tied to an Apple ID and that status on the server needs to be updated. makes no difference what device is used for that. very easy to do remotely from another device, in fact it easier to do that way since the user will be properly logged into the device and will not have to type in the full username password and possibly have to go through additional security steps.

You got a reply, "Yes, unless something goes wrong"...

Yeah it seems like it is not a problem as long as device is removed from Sister in laws apple account first before the restore.

You can do it from a Windows 10 PC web browser like Chrome for example, accessing the Find My section.

That's how I manage my apple account since it's easy this way to download photos to my pc, add contacts or other info. First login you'll need to respond to two factor authentication.

Or like said it can be done directly from sister in law's new iPhone which should be logged into her apple account at Settings/Apple ID/Select old Device/Remove from Account. I actually asked about that here.

IMG_0550.PNG

Capture.JPG

new.JPG

TF/Verizon unlocks automatically :cool:

Last edited:
Here's where this project stands today. I took it to an independent Apple repair shop and they performed the restore for me which removed the screen lock. However, I am now seeing this:

activation lock.JPG

She removed it from her account but perhaps not from Find My Phone. Or for some reason I'm seeing the prompt to enter her Apple ID password. She'll be visiting in a couple months so at that point I'll get her password and then disable Find My Phone. At least that's what I think is going on. Is there some other procedure I should follow to completely and permanently disconnect this phone from her Apple account?

Here's where this project stands today. I took it to an independent Apple repair shop and they performed the restore for me which removed the screen lock. However, I am now seeing this:

View attachment 174948

She removed it from her account but perhaps not from Find My Phone. Or for some reason I'm seeing the prompt to enter her Apple ID password. She'll be visiting in a couple months so at that point I'll get her password and then disable Find My Phone. At least that's what I think is going on. Is there some other procedure I should follow to completely and permanently disconnect this phone from her Apple account?

I was wondering about this. If it had to be removed from Find my phone to prevent some kind of activation lock warning. An apple person didn't seem to indicate this as necessary.

Are you connected to Wifi?

If so, I think your SIL can enter the Find my app on her device and erase your device and this will remove it from her account and remove the activation lock on your phone.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
On SIL's device, the Find my app looks like this:

IMG_0610.PNG

Can also do it from a web browser at www.icloud.com

View attachment 174948

She removed it from her account but perhaps not from Find My Phone. Or for some reason I'm seeing the prompt to enter her Apple ID password. She'll be visiting in a couple months so at that point I'll get her password and then disable Find My Phone. At least that's what I think is going on. Is there some other procedure I should follow to completely and permanently disconnect this phone from her Apple accouni

View attachment 174948

if completely removed from iCloud that does remove from find my iPhone as well. i woudl suggest to her to goto icloud.com and select device and see if the device is still listed. also if they were using multiple apple ID's make sure its removed from all of them

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'll wait until she visits and help her with this. She can log into iCloud on my PC and see if the old phone is still showing.

Back