Buh 'bye DISH ?

Good God let’s hope not!
Their markers are less developed countries and territories. I haven’t used their services myself. They do have a large volume of customers especially in the Mexican market with Telcel.

If American Movil becomes the acquirer I just feel it will go in the direction of a lower quality service due to nature of the markets they serve. But I could be wrong. I would prefer Vodafone or Telefonica or Orange which I think would make a better global network due to the countries they service and perhaps provide more compelling value.. T-Mobile always had some free global roaming on some plans with lower data speeds. A merger with one of these players could allow much lower cost roaming at top speeds for a much better price. Telefonica has the necessary transatlantic capacity to make that happen. Not sure on the others.

I mean, American Movil is the most likely outcome of the shreds of spectrum left.

Vodafone is not doing so hot financially and why they sold out to VZ in the first place, Telefonica is just as bad as American Movil...

Until the FCC does a major spectrum screen and clears up more spectrum past this nearly useless SMR band, I doubt a 4th carrier will exist anytime soon. They'd be better re-purposing this for Gogo to add a decent 10MHz chunk of 5G supplemental downlink for a hybrid inflight mobile broadband network (5G/Satellite), and that'd be the best use of that band.
Airlines are moving away from Gogo and Satellite is taking over that works on existing phones. Regular phones can work with this spectrum which is from the existing wireless carriers. Gogo will not be getting additional spectrum as planes are being retrofitted to convert from Gogo to Viasat for instance with the major airlines. Gogo has lost a ton of marketshare as planes are retrofitted. But new satellites are being deployed so existing wireless bands on phones connect to satellites. Each company in USA has a different chosen satellite provider for this. As Altimeters were replaced on airplanes due to 5G, these frequencies will not interfere with the aircraft.

Gogo has been known to be bad in terms of speeds and service with wireless. Satellites are now replacing this.

The problem with satellite is higher latency and lower speeds so wireless spectrum is king for non aviation services as aviation will perform better connected to low earth orbit satellites.

I still believe the FCC will mandate having a fourth carrier compete to allow for competition that can emerge.

Last edited:
I still believe the FCC will mandate having a fourth carrier compete to allow for competition that can emerge.
I sure hope so but I'm pessimistic about whether they actually will or not.

Airlines are moving away from Gogo and Satellite is taking over that works on existing phones. Regular phones can work with this spectrum which is from the existing wireless carriers. Gogo will not be getting additional spectrum as planes are being retrofitted to convert from Gogo to Viasat for instance with the major airlines. Gogo has lost a ton of marketshare as planes are retrofitted. But new satellites are being deployed so existing wireless bands on phones connect to satellites. Each company in USA has a different chosen satellite provider for this. As Altimeters were replaced on airplanes due to 5G, these frequencies will not interfere with the aircraft.

Gogo has been known to be bad in terms of speeds and service with wireless. Satellites are now replacing this.

The problem with satellite is higher latency and lower speeds so wireless spectrum is king for non aviation services as aviation will perform better connected to low earth orbit satellites.

Actually, a lot of the private jets who what a cheaper option than LEO/GEO are gonna stick with GoGo air service for at least another decade at this point (this is the industry I work in, and it's the general consensus as private jets do not need satellite connectivity due to not having enough range for ETOPS travel)

The SMR band is not being built out by anyone, does not CA with much of anything, and would be borderline useless to any ground operator trying to use it for anything but "hey it's something" rural coverage due to it only being ~12.5MHz usable anyway. It would make a perfect supplemental 5G downlink carrier but would require any network to use it to deploy different radios/antennas (and GoGo is actually just starting that for 5G)

Actually, a lot of the private jets who what a cheaper option than LEO/GEO are gonna stick with GoGo air service for at least another decade at this point (this is the industry I work in, and it's the general consensus as private jets do not need satellite connectivity due to not having enough range for ETOPS travel)

The SMR band is not being built out by anyone, does not CA with much of anything, and would be borderline useless to any ground operator trying to use it for anything but "hey it's something" rural coverage due to it only being ~12.5MHz usable anyway. It would make a perfect supplemental 5G downlink carrier but would require any network to use it to deploy different radios/antennas (and GoGo is actually just starting that for 5G)
Wireless services work really bad for aviation and there will be less customers on Gogo so no added spectrum needed. They are losing a ton of business on the commercial airlines which were the biggest users of bandwidth. Commercial airlines needed coverage in a large number of towers due to the wide amount of destinations served and frequency of service needed. Private jets go on much fewer routes and require less bandwidth. The future for private jets is satellite using existing bands on their existing cell phone carriers as each provider has their partners like AT&T with SpaceMobile. No special equipment needed.

As of now Dish Network is not a carrier I would get any advantage from using, but that could change.

Wireless services work really bad for aviation and there will be less customers on Gogo so no added spectrum needed. They are losing a ton of business on the commercial airlines which were the biggest users of bandwidth. Commercial airlines needed coverage in a large number of towers due to the wide amount of destinations served and frequency of service needed. Private jets go on much fewer routes and require less bandwidth. The future for private jets is satellite using existing bands on their existing cell phone carriers as each provider has their partners like AT&T with SpaceMobile. No special equipment needed.

As of now Dish Network is not a carrier I would get any advantage from using, but that could change.

And yet, every private jet I know has installed GoGo 5G antennas.

With the current ground spectrum holdings they're limited to 50Mbps total per cell or less even on 5G due to the current meager holdings, adding 10MHz for supplemental downlink would give a consistent ~100-150Mbps download.

Even domestically, having the 5G fin on the bottom as a backup for hybrid domestic connections would take load off the LEO/GEO networks especially in rural areas where high residential uptake is a thing and would allow ~250-300ms latency instead of the 600+ms latency currently experienced on GEO ViaSat/Hughesnet connections... and more consistent speed where ViaSat/Hughes completely crumble due to low capacity in areas with high residential uptake.

Then, even for things like SpaceMobile/SpaceX Cellular service, they *might* be able to to use it for the mainland service, but around the border they'd have to be super careful, and even then ensuring every device *still* supports n26 will be interesting (although that's less of a worry)

I 100% doubt any current US carrier is going to pay to deploy a 12.5MHz SMR block, nationwide so it's moot point anyway.. that spectrum is nearly useless, and Nextel even knew that - thus why they sold out when they did. Sprint was just desperate for some low band before n71 became open so they *had* to use it, as meager of performance as it added.. the cost/return ratio just is not there for T-Mobile (or anyone else for that matter) to backfill 10k+cell sites to use it.

GoGo on the other hand, 250 sites nationwide... would make much more sense and it's right next to what they're already using... so it'd only be a small radio tweak to add it.

Honestly had ViaSat not lost a vast majority of it's capacity with that nearly failed launch/damaged satellite this conversation would not even be happening.. but they did and that bird is permanently damaged.. so they're going to have to do *something* to supplement.

Viasat will deploy additional satellites including replacement for the failed satellite. Who knows how long that will take.

And yet, every private jet I know has installed GoGo 5G antennas.

With the current ground spectrum holdings they're limited to 50Mbps total per cell or less even on 5G due to the current meager holdings, adding 10MHz for supplemental downlink would give a consistent ~100-150Mbps download.

Even domestically, having the 5G fin on the bottom as a backup for hybrid domestic connections would take load off the LEO/GEO networks especially in rural areas where high residential uptake is a thing and would allow ~250-300ms latency instead of the 600+ms latency currently experienced on GEO ViaSat/Hughesnet connections... and more consistent speed where ViaSat/Hughes completely crumble due to low capacity in areas with high residential uptake.

Then, even for things like SpaceMobile/SpaceX Cellular service, they *might* be able to to use it for the mainland service, but around the border they'd have to be super careful, and even then ensuring every device *still* supports n26 will be interesting (although that's less of a worry)

I 100% doubt any current US carrier is going to pay to deploy a 12.5MHz SMR block, nationwide so it's moot point anyway.. that spectrum is nearly useless, and Nextel even knew that - thus why they sold out when they did. Sprint was just desperate for some low band before n71 became open so they *had* to use it, as meager of performance as it added.. the cost/return ratio just is not there for T-Mobile (or anyone else for that matter) to backfill 10k+cell sites to use it.

GoGo on the other hand, 250 sites nationwide... would make much more sense and it's right next to what they're already using... so it'd only be a small radio tweak to add it.

Honestly had ViaSat not lost a vast majority of it's capacity with that nearly failed launch/damaged satellite this conversation would not even be happening.. but they did and that bird is permanently damaged.. so they're going to have to do *something* to supplement.

This isn't overly accurate. Nextel didn't sell because "they knew their spectrum was worthless" Nextel sold because they didn't want to pay the costs of government mandated clearing of the spectrum, Nextel also did not want to incur the costs of deploying an LTE network on their massive 2.5 holdings....which brings the second point. Sprint was interested in nextels large 2.5 holdings over everything, and in the end they essentially were proven right on that being the most important piece of the Nextel merger.

Back