Thread: Nokia Signal Booster

Feedback Score

Nokia Signal Booster

Do any of these Nokia Signal booster's like I see on ebay and stuff actually work. I have a treo 650 phone from Cingular and I get great signal. However, I bought a unlocked nokia e61 and use the same cingular sim card with it and get very bad signal in the same place where I would get a good singal from the treo. Is there anything I can do? Would a singal booster actually work? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier(s)
    TELUSmobility
    Feedback Score
    I think there have been a lot of threads on these. I don't blame you though, because I can't find them either

From what I gather, signal boosters are just scams that don't actually work. Are there Nokia branded ones? I always thought they were made by random companies with the "As Seen on TV" logos slapped on. Anyway I got one for free but haven't bothered to try it out myself, but I don't think there is any physics that can back the ability to "boost" cell phone reception just like that.

Feedback Score
    Ya I figured it could be a scam. But does anyone know why I would get such a big difference in signal between my cingular treo and nokia e61 if I am using my same sim card with the same service? Does cingular give priority over there network to phones that are bought and are registered to them or something like that?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier(s)
    TELUSmobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cjulka
    Ya I figured it could be a scam. But does anyone know why I would get such a big difference in signal between my cingular treo and nokia e61 if I am using my same sim card with the same service? Does cingular give priority over there network to phones that are bought and are registered to them or something like that?
    Different models of mobile devices have different Radio Frequencies, or RFs. It's not that the network gives higher priorities to some devices than others, the sad fact is simply that some phones are better than others! It all depends how well your device is at picking up those frequencies and radio waves, and that is where some do better than others. There are usually a lot of review or comparison threads that rate phones on their RF, so try a search to find out more.

Device(s)
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It shouldn't matter. The E61 is quadband, so it should perform well on Cingular. Maybe you got a lemon?

Device(s)
    CURRENT! N97 White / iPhone 16gb (white) / N75 (whored out) / 7280 (back-up)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yea mine got awesome reception just as good or if not better than my other phones.
    ______________________ ___________________

Device(s)
    v3c, worst phone ever
    Carrier(s)
    USCC (4 lines)
    Feedback Score
    this might just be 'the bar effect'. phone manufacturers get to choose what to consider "1 bar" or "2 bars", so the actual signal strength might be as good or better but it's not 'showing all 5 bars' like on the last phone.

not saying that's definitely it, but it's certainly something to consider IMO. i've noticed in my personal experience that nokia's bars are set less optimistically compared to other phones. i had 'more bars' with my motorola phone than my nokia, but my nokia actually gets much better signal *shrugs*

Feedback Score
    There are scams out there to get people to pay for strong signals. Anyone who's had dropped calls or lousy phone quality can understand why people seek solutions. Like any tech, the first step is educating yourself on what causes dropped calls, slow downloads speeds, and such. I learned a lot at http://www.signalbooster.com and their various blogs. There are many ways to assess and improve your signal with and without boosters. If you do get a booster, I'd say get one with a good return policy (which any reputable dealer should have). Keep in mind that boosters don't have to be carrier specific either.