Thread: W810i: backup sms's to card/computer

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

W810i: backup sms's to card/computer

Hello folks,

I just recently got my new SE W810i, and I love it so far. But there's one thing I really want to do and don't know how. My SIM card is filled with text messages that I don't want to delete. In my new phone, they appear in the 'Saved messages' folder. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find a way to even copy them from the SIM card to phone memory. Ideally, I'd like to backup them to the computer. Any tips?

Device(s)
    k790i
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Of course. I didn't see any option there to backup the sms's... The 'sync' feature only works for contacts I believe. Am I missing something?

Device(s)
    U1i - R1BB041
    Carrier(s)
    O2
    Feedback Score
    try myphoneexplorer - you can "archive" phone and sim messages to the pc.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glorfingal
    try myphoneexplorer - you can "archive" phone and sim messages to the pc.
    This worked, thanks a lot!!!

BTW: if anyone wants to use that app, you'll need to experiment with the connection settings. In the connection settings dialog it only shows a list of COM ports: COM1, COM3, etc. One of them actually corresponds to the phone USB connection, so just try them until the find one that works!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder_ View Post
    This worked, thanks a lot!!!

BTW: if anyone wants to use that app, you'll need to experiment with the connection settings. In the connection settings dialog it only shows a list of COM ports: COM1, COM3, etc. One of them actually corresponds to the phone USB connection, so just try them until the find one that works!
    THIS.

"MyPhoneExplorer" is a gem. I used it to backup ALL my texts from my SE W810i.

I tried using Sony PC Suit and all that jazz, but I kept on getting errors about USB not being detected, ports not working,
    error 43, unrecognized ports, permission issues and SO MANY THINGS. I had tried "MyPhoneExplorer", but it didn't immediately work.
    However after reading "BlackAdder"s post I tried again and it WORKED . Hahahaha. So he helped someone more than 5 years
    after his post hahaha. Which is why I made an account and posting now, in case anyone sees this .

1 - Download MyPhoneExplorer, from softpedia. I can't post a link due to this website not allowing it.

2 - Check the box your W810i came with and see if you've got a USB plug.

3 - Open up the aforementioned program and plug your phone in.

4 - Now go to the "other" option in the "MyPhoneExplorer" program and click around in the battery section and such.

This is to get your phone recognized, as it didn't recognize mine. If it works, you'll see your phone show up on screen with info about it.'

5 - Go to text messages and click the Blue "download" arrow to download your messages from your phone!

HOWEVER sometimes it doesn't work, which is what happened in my case. So like "BlackAdder" suggested, go to

File > Settings and then see if you can select a different COM port. There's a little arrow you can click. In my case I clicked

the arrow and then saw my phone listed on COM6. After selecting this, it was a breeze downloading the phones texts! .

Remember to check both sent, received and other texts, if you want the whole thing. After this I did Ctrl+A in the window where

all the texts are visible, to select all the text messages and then I right-clicked my mouse and then I clicked "export". This exports

all the selected entries, so you can save them on your computer. HOWEVER, it saves it in "MyPhoneExplorer" format. So what I did, just

to be sure, was to open notepad and Ctrl+V (paste) all the information into them, after having pressed Ctrl+C (Copy).

It works! Sometimes you'll have to change the notepade from ANSI to Unicode when you save however, depending on your texts.

But it works!!!! . So just repeat this process until

everything you want is saved.

You can also click "Copy Into Archive", which is a button right beside the aforementioned Blue download button. If you do this

with each folder (sent, inbox, saved msgs etc.), they'll all be saved in "Archive (Computer)". Which then makes it easy to select

them ALL in one go, if you want it all in ONE file . Note that if you'd like to get your pictures, you can simply plug in the phone via

USB and get them via explorer. It'll be called something like PHONE something. From there you can click around and get your pictures

via copy/paste. It's also possible to retrieve videos and such . The SE PC Suite 6 was alright, if it was actually able to connect. But

sometimes it's easier just to click "import images/videos", you know?

I'm so glad this is over. Now I can finally move on to a new phone hahaha, after nearly 10 years. The W810i has served me very very well.

I'm getting a Chinese Xiaomi Mi3 now! It's super awesome.

Cheers!
    Last edited by QLMan; 09-06-2014 at 08:54 AM.