Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Excellent article on RAM issues in new Nokia S60 phones.

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ago Vino Verita
    As I was mentioning to a few people before, this is one of the reasons why I ended jumping ship to a TyTN. On a clean boot I am running easily about 25megs of RAM on a 64meg unit. And this is while running three, albeit small apps in the background and the Today screen full of plug-ins, which would be on the same note as the Standby screen.

Nokia, what is going on? Don't keep us waiting. Throw a bone to us tech-heads.
    I agree...if they're going to pound the "multimedia computer" into our heads they better realize that they're released some real "under powered" computers when they don't offer up the appropriate RAM. Fp1 phones have allowed us to see the light in regards to a lightning fast UI but they need to bolster up the RAM in ALL s60 devices, not just the E90.

..and throw a little more juice our way...we know you can do it....E61 family has it and you know the the N73 has it.....Take a look at the N95 sales...you know we'll spend the extra buck for something that's done right. (although the N95 isn't all there imo)
    BB9700 PIN: 2190dd6e

Device(s)
    N95 in approx 6 days!
    Feedback Score
    N95 still suffers from a lot of RAM issues, how much more would it cost to put in a li'l more RAM anyway?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6280 Nokia E66
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    can anyone confirm if the n95 does or does not have 64mb RAM thats kinda sad if it doesn't, alot of smartphones today have 64
    yea...

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by v1ralIV
    can anyone confirm if the n95 does or does not have 64mb RAM thats kinda sad if it doesn't, alot of smartphones today have 64
    It has 20 available to the user. Those other smartphones that sport 64mb's have roughly the same amount at their disposal. You need to get them into triple digits to equate to a more user friendly phone imo. I'm drooling over the thought of 80 free mb's of RAM and 4gigs of storage for my E90!

Feedback Score
    I really wish that

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    The fastest S60v3 phone is N76
    It has 90MB RAM !!!

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSun
    The fastest S60v3 phone is N76
    It has 90MB RAM !!!
    Sorry bro...E90 has 128 of which nearly 80 are available to the user upon boot. N76 has 40 available which isn't too shabby either and should be plenty for anything you desire.....that is of course until that tiny little battery dies on you...

edit:...and RAM doesn't necessarily determine how fast it's going to be. It's the amount of virtual memory available to you....of course the more the merrier but a fast processor is part of the equation.

Device(s)
    A1200/Ming (25p firmware & Modified with volume gain, & EDGE,others)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenteeth
    Sorry bro...E90 has 128 of which nearly 80 are available to the user upon boot. N76 has 40 available which isn't too shabby either and should be plenty for anything you desire.....that is of course until that tiny little battery dies on you...

edit:...and RAM doesn't necessarily determine how fast it's going to be. It's the amount of virtual memory available to you....of course the more the merrier but a fast processor is part of the equation.

I have made a memory swap application before for linux phones in the past.. The application basically take memory from the memory card and created virtual ram with it.. I wish i knew how to port it for you guys.. Any developers for s60 here? we can work together to make it happen..

~Alpha~
    -Motorolafans.com Administrator-

-ModMyMobile.Net Administrator-

~Still Accepting A1200 & E6 phones to Modify to your liking. Contact me if you are interested for a list of what i can do for you & your phone~

Device(s)
    Nokia n95 Sand [Finland]
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    on the n95's at what point do you guys start to get low memory messages or a complete freeze up of the phone? like how many apps and which apps are u running?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Music player + web will often cause memory error
    Music player + maps will often cause memory error

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha43
    I have made a memory swap application before for linux phones in the past.. The application basically take memory from the memory card and created virtual ram with it.. I wish i knew how to port it for you guys.. Any developers for s60 here? we can work together to make it happen..

~Alpha~
    That would be great! where can we look for info on porting into S60? I'll help where I can...dont know too much about it but I'm a quick learner

Device(s)
    A1200/Ming (25p firmware & Modified with volume gain, & EDGE,others)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularWRX
    That would be great! where can we look for info on porting into S60? I'll help where I can...dont know too much about it but I'm a quick learner

Thats where the nokia experts would need to help me. haha

We can make up to a 128mb memory swap. But usually 64mbs work the best.

I am very suprised that no other developer has ever made one for s60...

~Alpha~

Device(s)
    T-Mobile S/E T610
    Feedback Score
    so there's pretty much no resolution on ram issues?

I should sell my e70 :shifty

Device(s)
    nokia e71-2
    Carrier(s)
    mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    My e50 got much better with the newer firmware: I can run 3 java apps at the same time instead of one. I am a happy camper now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5