Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Excellent article on RAM issues in new Nokia S60 phones.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 / Blackberry Curve (work)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Excellent article on RAM issues in new Nokia S60 phones.

Hello
    Allaboutsymbian.com has just posted a short article about the low RAM issues with the new Nokia S60 3rd edition devices. Read it here:
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...g_over_RAM.php
    I really wish that people at Nokia would read it though as they are the only ones that can do anything about it.
    I'm a monkey and I'm Okay...

Device(s)
    Nokia N97
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Great article! Thanks for the link.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Symbian was supposed to be a platform designed around low amounts of RAM.

Many software developers ignore that and make their programs use too much RAM.

Device(s)
    Tmobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tran

The Nokia web-browser seems to be one of the worst offenders.

Device(s)
    Nokia N91-5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i highly doubt nokia will listen to wat 1 man says. plus, for them to add that 40mb of ram...will probabaly increase the price by alot...

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 / Blackberry Curve (work)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tran

That might have been the original precept of Symbian but it hasn't been true since the days of Nokia 3650 as the article's author points out. And JonInTheHouse is absolutely right, the new Nokia web browser has got to be The Most Ram Hungry Series60 application currently available. It is very ironic that Nokia itself develops an app that needs more Ram resources than they install in their phones. I mean, would you buy a General Motors truck designed to carry 1 ton of cargo but with an engine that could barely move the truck if you actually put that much stuff on the truck - in effect that is what Nokia is asking its customers (namely us) to do here. Well, frankly I feel a bit cheated by this.

Device(s)
    Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasy8
    i highly doubt nokia will listen to wat 1 man says. plus, for them to add that 40mb of ram...will probabaly increase the price by alot...
    RAM dosent make the phone that much more expensive or big in size. The 6620 was the ram memory leader untill the n70 came out. Even the 668x and others where more expensive but lacked the ram

Device(s)
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All this talk makes me hungry for an N70 all over again.

Feedback Score
    Phones dont have upgradeable ram like computers, yet they become more and more like pc's. nokia should use common sense and:
    1. Put in upgradeable ram(unlikely)
    or
    2. Give more than enough ram to keep the phone useable for a couple of years.

when u buy a pc u always get the max ram, processing power, etc u can afford, even if the cheap model will be sufficient for todays needs. I thought doing the same when i bought my n80, but it cant even handle todays demands. its like buying a high-end pc and putting 128 megs of ram in it. Its just plain stupidity. Has anybody tried to change to swap the ram chip yet?...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If these devices operate like Windows devices, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that would work. You can't just plug in a random piece of hardware from a different device and expect the phone to recognize it and then successfully USE it without errors. That's like trying to install a wifi chip from an N80 into an N70.

HOWEVER, if the only differences in RAM technology was the memory itself and the units were otherwise EXACTLY THE SAME, we may be in business.

I plan on buying an N70. Perhaps I will dabble with some FCC documents of the inside of the N70 and E70 and see what I can or can not do. (Probably kill two high-end phones, :lol)

Device(s)
    Tmobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Heck, how about just letting us use some our secure digital card as swap space? Apparently an unknown concept in Symbian land...

Device(s)
    bunch of phones
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    if you have read the article above, then better read this one that tell you how to fully maximise your RAM for multi-tasking, again from AAS

WORK THAT RAM
    i use my cellphones too much, my brains are fried...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    After reading these articles and the article about how to maximize your E70, I checked a couple things on my phone. According to SysExplorer, the E70 has 45mb of RAM on the frive, but only 12 or so available with only the active standby running. Maybe it's not that Nokia shorted the devices, but that they're really just not using the space effectively.

I remember reading tips on how to free up RAM on my old 6630 like the Fax Modem and other processes that are never used and it would free up a couple megs. Shouldn't something like that be an option on these devices too?

Carrier(s)
    Telus, Fido, Wind, Chatr
    Feedback Score
    I did not have any RAM troubles with my P910a - of course there is the SMan utility that 'flushes' running programs out of memory (user configurable).

Maybe we need a similar app for S60.

Device(s)
    Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    For everybody that is having the ram issues I would suggest you take a closer look at the E61, Im pretty sure it is the current leader of all the E and N series of phones (except for the N70) I have about 22meg at the standby screen after boot up. And while the N70 still has More, im pretty sure 22 is plenty for 99% of you all out there.
    how do we end world hunger and homelessness? feed the homeless to the Hungary

Feedback

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast