Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Excellent article on RAM issues in new Nokia S60 phones.

Device(s)
    Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBruha
    After reading these articles and the article about how to maximize your E70, I checked a couple things on my phone. According to SysExplorer, the E70 has 45mb of RAM on the frive, but only 12 or so available with only the active standby running. Maybe it's not that Nokia shorted the devices, but that they're really just not using the space effectively.

I remember reading tips on how to free up RAM on my old 6630 like the Fax Modem and other processes that are never used and it would free up a couple megs. Shouldn't something like that be an option on these devices too?

I think it was on APOC'S website (symbian-freak.com) Though I cant find it. But yeah, Using taskman or something equivelent you could shut down all the crap you didnt need and free up a load of free space. Maybe someone should ask APOC to see if he still has the link somewhere, and maybe a list of stuff you can shut down.
    how do we end world hunger and homelessness? feed the homeless to the Hungary

Feedback

Device(s)
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't believe there is software that exists that would close those processes. Taskman doesn't even close them.

Device(s)
    Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by razamataz
    I think it was on APOC'S website (symbian-freak.com) Though I cant find it. But yeah, Using taskman or something equivelent you could shut down all the crap you didnt need and free up a load of free space. Maybe someone should ask APOC to see if he still has the link somewhere, and maybe a list of stuff you can shut down.
    Here is what I found but the applactions required may not be out there yet for 3rd edition unless taskman can do the job

http://www.symbian-freak.com/quides/freeupmem.htm

Device(s)
    Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ill try it out and post my findings.....

Device(s)
    Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Damn!!! No luck

man, we really need some good apps like app man, that be a huge app right now. That and celltrack or fieldtest

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does Opera Mobile for S60 use less RAM than the Builtin web browser?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems that it does use less RAM but is not as good as the Safari Based Nokia Browser.

Carrier(s)
    at&t, T-MO
    Feedback Score
    So the N73 has Ram issues?

CA FTW

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z1, iPhone 4 (work)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    yes, it does

Device(s)
    Dell Streak 32GB Froyo 2.2 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    Hi all,
    I discovered a little trick that i occasionally use on my N93 i assume it would work on other S60 3rd edition phones also. I have my last short cut on active standby set up for the memory card, so within 4 clicks i can select memory card, options, remove memory card. This shuts all running apps to free up all the ram and no you don't actually have to remove the memory card either.

It does appear we have moved into a new era with the latest incarnations of Symbian and it is no longer the Ram efficient OS it used to be. This could IMO be partially due to higher res screens and increased processor speeds plus much more complex programs but what ever it is we have to learn to live with it. It appears to me that manufacturers when testing their equipment don't seem to run as many apps or push their devices as hard as some of us consumers, maybe they only ever run single apps?
    As has been mentioned by many others just why the didn't increase the amount of Ram in the build is very odd to say the least as i can't see the cost of Ram pushing Costs and prices up that much. To be honest i have not suffered any problems with freezes or crashes or any low memory messages but then i haven't loaded tons of 3rd party apps either and i do think this makes a huge difference.

Marc

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suppose that's a good idea to quickly shut off all the applications that are running, but you may as well put TaskMan as the last icon and use that to kill the applications too. It may be more button presses, but at the very least, you're not risking losing all the information on your memory card.

Device(s)
    Dell Streak 32GB Froyo 2.2 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    Hi JonnyBruha,
    Except for one thing Best Taskman for S60 3rd Edition is reduced in functionality and can't perform what you suggest. Which is why i made the suggestion and didn't bother buying Taskman and removed it from my phone.

Marc

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What are you talking about? You want to kill all the applications running in the background, right? That's exactly what TaskMan does. Furthermore, I checked how much RAM was available when I did it with either method using the same program and they both came up the same.

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MapleLeafs
    Phones dont have upgradeable ram like computers
    Pocket PC phones do....I upgraded my imate jam to 128mbram up from 64. My old siemens sx66 was capped at 128 so it wasnt upgradeable beyond that.....sure would be nice if some smUrt people out there could figure out how to upgrade the ram on our S60s
    BB9700 PIN: 2190dd6e

Device(s)
    bunch of phones
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greentooth
    Pocket PC phones do....I upgraded my imate jam to 128mbram up from 64. My old siemens sx66 was capped at 128 so it wasnt upgradeable beyond that.....sure would be nice if some smUrt people out there could figure out how to upgrade the ram on our S60s
    sure, once you find a compatible flash ram chip with the same capability and pin assignment with a higher capacity... then, just desolder the old one and put the new one...

BTW, to the one who posted above, a simpler way to click on the "remove memory card" is to press on the "ON/OFF" button and click UP (its in the bottom of the list)
    i use my cellphones too much, my brains are fried...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast