Device(s)
    MPX220
    Carrier(s)
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

ATTWS User Needs Advice on Upgrades

I have a quick question after looking thru the forums, couldn't find the answer. I am a ATTWS legacy customer 650 Min with early NW, planning to get a new smartphone to replace my MPX220. I dont wanna downgrade my phone plan to a "new" cingular plan and am thinking bout just buying the Cingular 8125 off ebay.

1) Can I upgrade my phone but can I just use an unlocked GSM phone (eg Cingular 8125) to work with my ATTWS sim card? I heard there are problems in compatibility from cingular CS.

2) Anyone upgrade their phones thru cingular that were formerly ATTWS blue? I would upgrade or renew my phone contract if I could get a similar or better plan under cingular.

3) Also any suggestions on a moderately priced good compact WM5 phone? Looking at the 8125 and just wondered how the wifi and any opinions from anyone using the phone.

Thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, the unlocked GSM phone will work. You will need to edit cingular info for mms messages, but it will work fine with the sim.

Cingular has no decent upgrade phones.

I bought an unlocked razr and I love it!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by calberkeley
    I have a quick question after looking thru the forums, couldn't find the answer. I am a ATTWS legacy customer 650 Min with early NW, planning to get a new smartphone to replace my MPX220. I dont wanna downgrade my phone plan to a "new" cingular plan and am thinking bout just buying the Cingular 8125 off ebay.

1) Can I upgrade my phone but can I just use an unlocked GSM phone (eg Cingular 8125) to work with my ATTWS sim card? I heard there are problems in compatibility from cingular CS.

2) Anyone upgrade their phones thru cingular that were formerly ATTWS blue? I would upgrade or renew my phone contract if I could get a similar or better plan under cingular.

3) Also any suggestions on a moderately priced good compact WM5 phone? Looking at the 8125 and just wondered how the wifi and any opinions from anyone using the phone.

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes you can buy an unlocked phone off of e-bay and insert your attws SIM (that's what I do.)

2. You will need to go to the cinglar site and obtain the settings if you buy and "unbranded" GSM phone. This is a phone (such as a SLVR) that is probable unlocked (SIM) and doesn't have any carrier specific logo's, themes, or settings.

3. As mentioned the settings for most phones are on the Cingular site and if OTA (over the air) programming doesn't work, you will have to manually enter them.

Good luck.