Thread: Treo 700w for $150!?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8330
    Feedback Score

Treo 700w for $150!?

I was talking to my cousin, and he claimed he was able to get the Treo 700w (made sure he was talking about the 700w a few times) for $150.

I'm due for a renewal of my contract (2 years have expired) -- how the hell did he get it at that price?

Device(s)
    Treo 700wx W/4GB SD
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel (Getting my love)
    Feedback Score
    Did he buy it used !?? The cheapest I've seen with verizon is $299 and thats with NE2. Amazon has it for $249.99 after rebates. I couldnt find it any cheaper than that. If you can verify let the rest of us know.

Device(s)
    Treo 700P (current)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Even if VZW *paid me* $150, I wouldn't touch a 700w with a 10-foot pole.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G S (16GB)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Boo)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wow - 6-700's

Quote Originally Posted by vorpil
    Even if VZW *paid me* $150, I wouldn't touch a 700w with a 10-foot pole.

I see you had 6 700w's...geez, what happened with those? I'm running one with 1.10 patch....way better than my original 700w.

Arc

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8330
    Feedback Score
    I'll call Verizon tonight or tomorrow and see what they say

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8320 Titanium (Mine)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Dallas

Just remember, they'll tell you what you want to hear to get your business.
    Chris
    Euless TX

http://chris.cotter.me

Device(s)
    Treo 700P (current)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanic
    I see you had 6 700w's...geez, what happened with those? I'm running one with 1.10 patch....way better than my original 700w.

Arc
    The first few had so many issues, I don't even remember all of them. All were initialized properly (install Activesync via Palm CD first, follow instructions, *then* connect 700w), no 3rd-party apps installed other than Piscel File Viewer & Cubis, and PDANet. I actually only used the following functions (and used them frequently): Today, Tasks, Calendar, Contacts, Phone, Notes, Text Messaging, Cubis. With the more recent replacements, the last 2 that've had the 1.10 patch, I became more daring with Bluetooth pairing and, very rarely, Windows Media usage.

Even so, I've had all-too-frequent crashes with device.exe, the phone would reset itself, unable to wake up from sleep, ActiveSync would work beautifully for a bit and suddenly encounter the very-descriptive "Synchronization Error" with the Red X icon, etc. Alarms and alerts would notify too late, too softly, phone calls would interrupt EVDO sessions but pressing the "Answer" soft-menu choice wouldn't work at all. Trying to toggle between two calls was a toss-up. Man, my latest 700w had such awful reception (even though earlier 700w's had excellent signal pickup) that it even caused an argument with my girlfriend about "lack of communication!"

Up until the day I stopped using the 700w last week, I was so deft at soft-resetting that the battery cover doesn't latch tightly anymore and begins to squeak. I even have my hard-reset routine down pat.

I became an extremely frequent visitor of the Palm.com troubleshooting FAQ. I began to know registry tree deletions by heart, along with removing the rapi.dll from Windows' System32 dir. My case was so bad, one particular Palm CSR began to recognize me, every time I called back (and I got to find out their 700w call center was based out of FL).

All my life, I'm a walking bad omen, always having some sort of bad luck fall upon me, but the 700w's torture was just plain ridiculous.

The last great Windows PPC device I had was an Ipaq 2215 with PPC2003SE (I think it was "SE"...). I was hoping the same positive experience would apply w/ the 700W, but the bugger just drove my nuts.

I've always read other people having excessive replacement counts, and never imagined I, too, would go through this experience.

I must admit, though, that my account of the 700w in no way represents *all* 700w's out there, and wished it was a better phone for me than it really was.

The 700p isn't 100% responsive either in the 5 days I've had it-- only about 95% so :P. But 5 days isn't fair-- we'll see how it goes within the next month or two.
    Last edited by vorpil; 07-11-2006 at 10:50 PM.