Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just got the SGH-D820!!!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Talking Just got the SGH-D820!!!

I just received my D820 from USPS today.

At first when I saw the box, I thought to myself, "Hmm, why is the box so thin?!". I'm used to seeing thicker boxes such as those from Motorola.

When I opened the USPS box, I took out the D820 box. First impression was, this thing is sexy. The box was basically a cardboard sleeve. And inside was a hard black, thicker cardboard box -- labeled Samsung. I then cut the seal and opened it up. There she was -- the D820. When I picked it up, I couldn't realize how THIN it is. The other stuff in the box were travel adapter, headphones/headset, TF card, TV cables, and a USB cable.

The phone is charging right now. I'll post a complete review right after I learn some stuff on it.

I'm VERY excited!!!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Device(s)
    Telus milestone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    only thing that sucks about this phone, NO MISSED CALL INDICATOR, i was so suprised at all the features this phone had...and this was the only thing missing...how odd. o well

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elite_is3
    only thing that sucks about this phone, NO MISSED CALL INDICATOR, i was so suprised at all the features this phone had...and this was the only thing missing...how odd. o well
    As in an alert (ring, vibe, etc.) or displayed on the screen?

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH U600 Saphire Blue
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking he does mean vibe or ring or something. Cause anyone that's used the phone would know that it displays how many missed calls you've had, voicemails, text message, all that jazz.
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    |||Popo-Zow!!! Grab yo socks!!!|||
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Flash your t809 to d820!!!

Feedback Score
    Just got mine the other day too and I haven't been able to put it down

Receive a complementary laser pointer once you reach 50 posts!

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-D820 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular - (emplyee)
    Feedback Score

Yeah you can.

You can set an alert for messages, mised calls, etc... in Settings > Sound Settings > Message Tone > Messages. Only issue is that you have to pick from one of the preset tones (I went vibe for these alerts).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It has almost been 1 week since I have gotten this phone.

A few complaints:
    • Poor battery life.

• Side button is only for changing the volume of the keys.

• Phone gets a little slow after adding some games and files.

Other than those reasons, this phone is awesome! It's as slim as a RAZR, but it's not as popular. The screen is perfect. It's really bright and vivid. The camera takes great pictures (for a camera phone) in certain lighting.

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    Original CityFido
    Feedback Score
    GOt a T-809 today but flashed it immediately to a D820...I LOVE IT....Only thing is I need to replace the battery door but can't find it online...anyways in time....
    LoRDkIFaR

My HoFo Feedback
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ight=lordkifar
    (25+ all positive )

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-U600
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantmotoSE
    It has almost been 1 week since I have gotten this phone.

A few complaints:
    • Poor battery life.

• Side button is only for changing the volume of the keys.

• Phone gets a little slow after adding some games and files.

Other than those reasons, this phone is awesome! It's as slim as a RAZR, but it's not as popular. The screen is perfect. It's really bright and vivid. The camera takes great pictures (for a camera phone) in certain lighting.
    Bat Life - Year it can last up to 3 days i got mine lasting that long but with minimal activity, if i use it none stop itll only last like 1.5 days.

Side Buttons - The side buttons are also for flipping and mirroring photos while in camcorder mode.... also zoom for pictures......

Speed - Yeh true no comment to that..... maybe try to copy all the files onto ur mem card then your phone will be quicker

This phone is awesome.... ive had mine for bout 2 weeks now and you do notice great things with this phone
    One thing that i do notice is that i can still see the screen in direct sunlight, for eg. i had a V3 before this phone and it was s**^ if i was outside or in a really lit up area i couldnt see that screen or read anything on it it was terrible, but the D820 is just awesome in this factor

But this phone has a couple of small negatives........ I WISH I COULD MOD IT like my V3

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rissol3
    But this phone has a couple of small negatives........ I WISH I COULD MOD IT like my V3
    I hear ya on the modding. I was just about ready to buy a V3i because of MOTO's modding reputation. However, the D820 caught my eye and I think it's one of the most sexiest phones out there.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    SAMSUNG SGH-D820 REVIEWby: deviantmotoSE Format idea by: impulsebuyer81

I've had the phone for almost a week in a half now. I absolutely love it.

This phone was actually not one of my top choices when I was going to buy a new phone. It's really complicated actually. I'm a Motorola fanboy, because of its modding potential. I had wanted the Motorola V3x before, because of it's uniqueness here in North America. Only a handful of people have them. This is because it is a tri-band phone. Plus many are on Cingular, including me. Why is this a factor? Because Cingular uses the 850mHz band mostly, and it is NOT part of the tri-band frequencies. If I had T-Mobile, that would be a different story, since they use 1900mHz as the main band, but use 850mHz for roaming. Don't get me started with T-Mobile however. Anyways, I had now narrowed it down to the Motorola V3i and the Samsung SGH-D807. Both are going to be if not currently supported by Cingular. If I got the V3i, it would be the unlocked and unbranded version anyways. But the association of these phones with Cingular turned me off because of the popularity factor. Call me shallow, but I like to be unique, and I don't like to have the same phone that 10 year olds got with their family plans. This leads to the reason of why I didn't choose the V3i. Average people will not be able to distinguish it between the original V3 series. Again, call me shallow, but I don't like to have a popular phone. This technically meant I was going to get the D807, with it's smooth sliding halves. But wait! The D820 came into play when I saw T-Mobile's version of it, the T809. I then read up on the phone on HoFo, and it seemed like it had a lot of issues with dust and such. I went to look for the original model, which is the D820. When I first saw it, I thought it was slim and sexy, how the top part of the phone curves its way to the bottom while looking at it horizontally. Ok, so I went with the D820, and it's probably the best phone I have ever bought. Now, onto the review!

First impressions, feel, and dimensions
    First impressions
    At first when I saw the USPS Priority box, I thought to myself, "Hmm, why is the box so thin?!". I'm used to seeing thicker boxes such as those from Motorola. When I opened the USPS box, I took out the D820 box. First impression was, this thing is sexy. The box was basically a cardboard sleeve. And inside was a hard black, thicker cardboard box -- labeled Samsung. I then cut the seal and opened it up. There she was -- the D820. When I picked it up, I couldn't realize how THIN it is. The other stuff in the box were travel adapter, headphones/headset, TF card, TV cables, and a USB cable.

Feel:
    When I first picked up the phone, it felt amazingly solid. Didn't feel cheap like a demo model at all. Of course no battery was in there, so it felt light. Once I put the battery and battery cover in, the phone was complete. It feels great. Not too heavy, not too light. Lighter than a RAZR (in my opinion), but much sexier. At first, the slide was a little hard to open because it was brand new. For the first few days, I used the little notch above the up key, or used the side of the slide. I found that it was unbelieveably easy to accidentally hit the up key if you use the little notch. Once I got a durable screen protector, I just put my thumb on the screen and slid up. The plastic that makes up the phone easily shows fingerprints and grease marks.

Dimensions:
    The dimensions for this phone are 101 х 52 х 14.9 mm. The phone is pictured below next to a Motorola V3 RAZR Black. As you can see, the RAZR is a bit thinner, and a bit shorter, however, width seems to be the same.

Functionality and features
    Functions:
    Let's start with the exterior. On the side of the phone are the volume keys, a charging/USB port, and a microSD transflash card slot. The charging port and the card slot are covered by plastic swiveling covers.

On the top of the phone is a 1.3mp 180 degree swiveling camera. It works flawlessly, but it is hard to turn the camera and be careful not to touch the outer lens.

With the phone closed, there is a 5-way D pad including the center button. It looks a bit cheap in my opinion, as it is not the same texture used as the rest of the exterior buttons. The exterior also includes 2 soft keys, a call, and hangup/power on/off button. The keys are well laid out with excellent key depression. The side volume keys are for changing the volume of the earpiece during a call, changing the volume of the keys, changing the volume of the MP3 player, and also used to flip the picture in camera mode when you have the camera facing you. It is also used to display the time and date while in idle/sleep mode. Simply hold down either the top or bottom volume key for about 2 seconds and the bright LCD displays time, date, and signal strength in black, and the background is white. A neat feature.

On to sliding the phone. As mentioned above, there are various techniques used to open the phone. I find that using your thumb to push up the screen works the best. But use this method at your own risk. I recommend putting on a screen protector before this. The number pad is laid out in a uniform fashion, right next to each other. I find that the keys are a bit small, but the depression rate is pretty good for such a slim phone. The *, 0, and # keys are a bit hard to press because of the bottom piece for the speakerphone, but it's not that bad.

The backlight color is white. Looks fantastic in low light. Not too flashy like the RAZRs.

Features:
    This phone is loaded with a whole slew of features, including an MP3 player, 1.3MP camera, file manager, unit/currency converter, world clock, voice recorder, java game platform, calculator, timer, stopwatch, and a lot more.

Appearance:
    The screen is AMAZING. The colors are nice and vivid, and pictures are sharp! The screen is also pretty big for a phone this size, but it is bright. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of skins that are included with this phone. In fact, there are only two, a blue, and red skin. There are only a few wallpapers also. However, many wallpapers can be downloaded (240x320 pixels).

MP3 player:
    The MP3 player is simple to use. Simply put songs into your microSD card by putting it into the included adapter, or by USB. The D-Pad acts as the main controller for playing songs, which includes fast forward/skip, pause, play, stop, rewind/previous. The volume keys on the side act as a volume control. However, you cannot run the MP3 Player in the background as to my knowledge.

1.3MP Camera:
    The camera is not bad, and it is also not that great. Sorry I don't have any sample pics. There are a lot of features loaded into the camera software on the phone though, such as the ability to set the shutter speed, ISO, picture quality, size, etc. When in camera mode, the D-Pad again comes into play. Left/Right controls the brightness of the picture, while the Up/Down keys control the digital zoom. It's a shame the camera lacks an LED light or flash.

File Manager:
    To keep it simple, here you can see all the files loaded into your phone, or files on the memory card.

The other features are common sense, so I won't go much into it.

A few complaints:

* Poor battery life.

* Side button is only for changing the volume of the keys.

* Phone gets a little slow after adding some games and files.

Overall, the phone is excellent.

4.5/5

Device(s)
    Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantmotoSE
    SAMSUNG SGH-D820 REVIEWby: deviantmotoSE Format idea by: impulsebuyer81

A few complaints:

* Poor battery life.

* Side button is only for changing the volume of the keys.

* Phone gets a little slow after adding some games and files.

Overall, the phone is excellent.

4.5/5

what do u mean poor battery life? mine lasts for one day, but i do talk for aprox. 150 minutes and play mp3 player for half an hour, also i take pics and change wallpapers pretty often. i cant remember having a phone that lasted longer with this type of use though. (and i had a few phones) just checkout my profile .

as mentioned here b4 side button is also for flipping from mirro(selfportrait) to regular view on camera, for zooming in camera or video recording mode, and for flipping while playing videos from front 3/4 screen to full horizental screen.

my memory is full! with songs, pics, videos and games. the only thing that is slower is saving a pic as a wallpaper otherwise atleast in my case the phone flies through everything else it does.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 18; 07-13-2006 at 08:11 AM.
    Phones using: Xiaomi mi A1,testing Meiigoo S8,wife using LG G6, son and daughter usingXiaomi Redmi note 4 snapdragon ed.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-U600
    Feedback Score
    hmm diddo with the bat thing
    i think i have already posted all my replies to that so wont repeat myself.
    btw my bat now has lasted atleast 2.5 days since the last charge and is now on the last bar.

Anyways. (from the review):
    'This phone was actually not one of my top choices when I was going to buy a new phone. It's really complicated actually. I'm a Motorola fanboy, because of its modding potential.'

this was the case for me too. This phone wasnt even on my list..... i had the d500 ,600 and some other phone in mind but then this one ended up on top after a couple of 'ON PAPER' comparisons. IMO you dont need a 2MP camera on a phone......
    Apart from that, this phone has everything a person should want and need.....IMO

EDIT: This is something you need to do to your last post ijcy

Device(s)
    Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rissol3

EDIT: This is something you need to do to your last post ijcy
    hmmm what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast