Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: treo 700p or 700w??

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree with all of you almost completely. While I think that Palm is more productive, that is because I can rely on Wireless Sync for all of what MS Exchange would give me. I FULLY admit however that MS Exchange is superior in business productivity, simply for the ease of use and minor perks you can't get with wireless sync. The only real downfalls to the 700w are the screen resolution and the lack of available RAM. Other than that, I would have probably stuck with it.

Mashie, I knew you weren't smashing the 'P' at all. I was playing. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen you post anything negative toward anyone, which is why I said I respect your posting. You also were responsible for me trying the 700w, and I thank you for the review beforehand.

I do believe in all honesty however, that due to the noticeable increase in RF performance, along with the productivity upgrades within the OS's, that the Treo 700 series offers the best your money can buy for a pda phone...whether it be the 'W' or the 'P'. I also dream of the day we get a Treo (in either series) with a qvga screen and a flash on the camera. I think that could be smartphone nirvana regardless of OS.

Device(s)
    Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkALot
    Plus, WM has this annoying feature: when you close an application, you really haven't closed it: in Windows Mobile "close" simply means to put the application in the background, still running. So this ties up memory resources, and you have to constantly be going into the memory manager to really close the unused programs.
    There are few freeware programs like Magic Button that resolve this issue. To chuck-out-the-window a whole OS because of an issue that can easily be remedied by a small (67kb) freeware program is ridiculous IMHO.

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brok423
    Mashie, I knew you weren't smashing the 'P' at all. I was playing. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen you post anything negative toward anyone, which is why I said I respect your posting. You also were responsible for me trying the 700w, and I thank you for the review beforehand.

I do believe in all honesty however, that due to the noticeable increase in RF performance, along with the productivity upgrades within the OS's, that the Treo 700 series offers the best your money can buy for a pda phone...whether it be the 'W' or the 'P'. I also dream of the day we get a Treo (in either series) with a qvga screen and a flash on the camera. I think that could be smartphone nirvana regardless of OS.
    Thanks for the compliment I just try to be open, honest and respectfull in my posts .

As for the screen resolution, I guess the 240x240 doesn't really bother me becasue I am used to it from other WM devices. I do agree that the memory thing is a big mistake on Palm's part. While I very rarely run into any memory errors there is something that I just can't get my brain around when it comes to having 4-5 MB free.

I guess my perfect device would be the Treo form factor, 480x480 screen, 64MB of Ram and WM5 (or 6)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

My HoFo Feedback Thread!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wooster019
    There are few freeware programs like Magic Button that resolve this issue. To chuck-out-the-window a whole OS because of an issue that can easily be remedied by a small (67kb) freeware program is ridiculous IMHO.
    I agree that this should not necessarily be the only deciding factor. But I used this as an example of a the generally less graceful nature of WM vs Palm.

Here's why it's a big deal to many users, though: Many don't know about programs like Magic Button, and many don't even realize the root of their problems at all. I have encountered people who have WM devices, who complain about them sometimes running slow, and sometimes crashing, who do not understand the quirky design of WM and it's "close that really means minimize" function. I have to explain that to them, and then direct them to the memory manager applet or a 3rd party app like Magic Button.

Here's another example of counterintuitive user interface design on WM: the OK button means Cancel. Go figure.

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkALot
    I agree that this should not necessarily be the only deciding factor. But I used this as an example of a the generally less graceful nature of WM vs Palm.

Here's why it's a big deal to many users, though: Many don't know about programs like Magic Button, and many don't even realize the root of their problems at all. I have encountered people who have WM devices, who complain about them sometimes running slow, and sometimes crashing, who do not understand the quirky design of WM and it's "close that really means minimize" function. I have to explain that to them, and then direct them to the memory manager applet or a 3rd party app like Magic Button.

Here's another example of counterintuitive user interface design on WM: the OK button means Cancel. Go figure.
    Its not a quirky design of WM, it actually makes perfect sense to me, leave as many programs as possible running in the background so that you can multitask (something the Palm versions can't do). The issues is with teh 700w specifically, instead of giving the device the needed 64MB Of RAM they skimped and only allowed 32MB, after the OS and all of the other programs that Palm/Verizon have added this leaves about 10MB of ram for all programs you might start including the inbox, Voice command, IE, WMP etc...

If you put 64MB of ram in the 700w, this entire argument goes away and the only other "advantage" the Palm guys have is a 320x320 screen. However give it a year or so and when the price of 480x480 screens drop we could see a Treo that has both 64MB of ram and a 480x480 screen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie
    Its not a quirky design of WM, it actually makes perfect sense to me, leave as many programs as possible running in the background so that you can multitask (something the Palm versions can't do). The issues is with teh 700w specifically, instead of giving the device the needed 64MB Of RAM they skimped and only allowed 32MB, after the OS and all of the other programs that Palm/Verizon have added this leaves about 10MB of ram for all programs you might start including the inbox, Voice command, IE, WMP etc...

If you put 64MB of ram in the 700w, this entire argument goes away and the only other "advantage" the Palm guys have is a 320x320 screen. However give it a year or so and when the price of 480x480 screens drop we could see a Treo that has both 64MB of ram and a 480x480 screen
    I agree that if memory were increased on the 700w it wouldn't be so big of an issue. However, I still maintain that for max usability why not just offer users the option of either a true exit from the app or a minimize function? That's the way Windows works on a PC; that's the way almost every software OS on any device functions. It still seems silly to have a close function mean minimize. Give the user the choice. After all, some will fill up the memory with other programs, content, etc, and so will need to close certain programs after finishing up.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    However give it a year or so and when the price of 480x480 screens drop we could see a Treo that has both 64MB of ram and a 480x480 screen
    If that happens, and there were 64mb's of available RAM, I would switch to the 800w(?). There I named it, so let's let the speculation on release date start.

When will the 800w be available? My guess is May '07.

Device(s)
    Treo 700W
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well i got the 700p to give a chance to the palm os but after a day and a half i didnt really like palm os so i went back to verizon and exchanged it for the 700w and loveing it alot better than palm

Feedback Score
    When was the last time Walt Mossberg liked a Windows product. I prefer real world users opinions with final products not beta, not early production and most importantly users how tried or tested the device for more than a few days. Mossberg didn't even like the Moto Q, why, the OS. He is not influencial in my tech world.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PPCMD
    When was the last time Walt Mossberg liked a Windows product. I prefer real world users opinions with final products not beta, not early production and most importantly users how tried or tested the device for more than a few days. Mossberg didn't even like the Moto Q, why, the OS. He is not influencial in my tech world.

Goodness, I dont take him seriously at all. I look at him occassionally to see what is new, but I look to places like this to find out details.

Carrier(s)
    Varies
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone else have anything to add to this discussion? I am in the same boat in deciding between the two.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acebake
    Does anyone else have anything to add to this discussion? I am in the same boat in deciding between the two.
    what are you gonna use it for? lite email and some web browsing, plus a calendar/daytime planner?
    do you plan to use it like a really small laptop?

Feedback Score
    I am a newbie. I went to the Verison store today to get a little play time. They didn't a 700P so I can only comment on the 700W. I liked it!

The Camera, is OK, but not something to right home about. It will be the camera I use when I don't have a camera.

The buttons are easier to use than I expected with my fat fingures. I will not be typing extended documents, but I should be able to make notes.

I am 99.9% sold. The only thing I didn't get to play with was an mp3 player.

Does it come with an Mp3 player?
    I use Itunes on the computer. Is there a way of porting my play lists?

Device(s)
    Motorola G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Boom/VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie
    Its not a quirky design of WM, it actually makes perfect sense to me, leave as many programs as possible running in the background so that you can multitask (something the Palm versions can't do).
    I agree. Today I was on the highway with my Mapopolis GPS software running on my 700W. I got an incoming call that needed information I got by opening Pocket Excel. All the while Mapopolis was running in the background.

When I finished the call I closed Excel (using Magic Button) and returned to Mapopolis. It hadn't missed a beat. Love that multi-tasking!

With my Palm I would have had to re-start Mapopolis and wait for the GPS to get a fix. I don't hate the Palm OS - I've had 4 different Palms since the origonal Palm Pilot Personal came out in the mid-90's. I just think WM is a better choice for me now.

CM

Device(s)
    Nokia 6820
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

tried them all

I had the 700w for 5 months. I am a heavy phone/email user using Wireless Sync, and active synce to Outlook 2003. The 700w just did not perform consistantly, requireing reboots somes times twice a day and hard resets every three weeks.

Got a Q two weeks ago and expereinced dropped calls, poor reception, poor battery life and slow processing, had to pull the battery several times. Sound quality was the best I have heard in a while. I turned it in for the 700p...jury not out on this one but so far all I can say is 'It works!' and that is what I am looking for. So this user will keep testing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast