Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Moto Q or Treo 700p?

Device(s)
    LG VX9900 "enV"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Moto Q or Treo 700p?

I'm looking into a new phone and have pretty much decided I am going for a PDA/Smartphone...

With the recent release of the 700p and now the Q, I am debating which of the two I should get.

Any suggestions? TIA

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone3Gs 32gb white and 16GB 3G both jb'd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t blue deathstar (majority of voice and unlimited 3G data),
    Feedback Score
    I am in this same predicament except I had to purchase the 700p prematurely as i had to pick a a new phone by a certain date to get my v710 class action refund and the Q wasn't out yet and the 700p had just come out.

NOw i have to decide if i want to keep it or return and get theQ.

at first i wasn't thrilled by the Q as its is not a true pda phone, but rather a smartphone though thast what the box of the 700p calls it go figure.

basically the Q doesnt' have a touchscreen so no stylus neccesary.

it looks like a calculator I said at first and small off center screen. no wifi. but.. the treos dont have wifi either

you have to look at it as a competitor to the black berry it really doesnt' compete with the 700p especially since the 700p uses a totally diff os in palm.

its just now i though i already had a treo 650, the 700p looks exactly the same as all the other treos and i can get it for cingular gsm in oct. prob with their highspeed while the Q might not come out for gsm.

so i figured i should get the Q then for now cus its thinner which is good cus i carry 2 phones most of the time and its different and exclusive.

but then there is the price, th eQ is a lot cheaper which is a plus obviously but screws up my v710 refund as i have $339 to use on a phone and wont get back the change if i dont use it all and the Q is only $199 with 2 yr.

still i figured i could get accessories and that it was the way to go since i already have a 6700 windows mobile 5 pda i dunno.

but then i look at this site.
    http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2907#article

and you see that the Q is the widest of the bunch which sucks, smallest screen which sucks. and the samsung i320 comign for gsm is smaller less wide, larger screen and cooler looking. as well the treo screen is second largest of the bunch next to the hP and better then the Q

this picture comparison basically makes me want to keep the Q and wait for the samsung i320 and or get the HP for the largest screen of the lot and no wider then the Q though i guess its thicker? i think the HP is on gsm though andi dont want a pda phone on gsm until they have their highspeed at cingular.

so i hope this helps you some as I'm still pretty much up in the air.

I might just get the samsung i730 on vzw instead of any of them as even though its older it has the faster processor of all the pda phones and it has the one handed use of the treo but with a hidden slide out keyboard and it has wifi that only the 6700 has while thetreos dont and the Q doesn't as mentioned.

except the i730 has no camera and no mms so its out.
    Last edited by Quatre; 05-31-2006 at 04:45 AM.
    Wishlist:
    GSM
    1) an Android os phone with att's 3g bands, qwerty and touchscreen
    2) Sony Ericsson XPERIA with android for att

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

personal preference

I've spoken to a few people, and they all seem to like the palm OS vs. Windows Mobile when it comes to PDA phones.
    But like Windows' XP OS, Windows mobile is usually good enough to get by with for most users. random freezes and instability is a normal thing that users just accept.
    Last edited by Tommy3rd; 05-31-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 | Moto X | Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
    random freezes and instability is a normal thing that users just accept.
    That statement describes the Palm OS as much as WM. Sometimes simpler (Palm OS) is better, but Palm has proven repeatedly that simpler is not that same as more stable.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kupe
    That statement describes the Palm OS as much as WM. Sometimes simpler (Palm OS) is better, but Palm has proven repeatedly that simpler is not that same as more stable.

yeah I have heard this and realizing that the palm os isn't neccesarily more stable then wm takes that out of the equation then as a plus. so what are you left with, that palm can't multitask a con at what you thought was at the expense of being more stable.

I'm on a 6700 that uses wm5 right now. prob can't check email on palm and then hit a link in email that opens browser as only one app at a time on palm?

I have/used a treo 650 and think it was slightly more stable then the 6700 with wm 5 but both are going to ave glitches and need be reset so palm while slightly more stable its really not enouggh to make it worth it.

6700 I love and is best for my mostly data uses and sme free in caling voice but pl say its not great for txting while driving or general one handed use. to me keyboard is best and its the only one with wifi besides the old i730 which doesn't have camera.

still I have to pick between the 700p and the Q. my wife wants the P because it uses sd card that we have a lot of from dgi cam including 2gb. and I do miss and love the calndar and task aps on palm that I don't like and therefore rarely use on the wm5 6700 though they are aps I ned to be using to keep organized.

but that is about it and I don't know if that is worth having the 700p for as it looks same as all treos and I alreadyhad one plus no multi tasking to name a fw cns of the P

the Q will be newer and diff and like a black berry. good for email and browsing to a link from email and then going back to mail. plus thin which is useful if carrying that and a flip phone.

Q screen is small though and off center and the device is wide. uses mini sd which I have a 1 gb and was going to get a 2 but first selling the 1. but if two devices with mini sd I guess I could keep the 1gb and get a 2gb mini sd.

the other thing for me is that this is throught the v710 refund so I have 339 to use up as I mentioned and won't get the diference back.

if bt stereo headphones are an optional accessory that would use up my credit then I will get the 1 as that would be something new and cool to try and great for listeing to music on it with wireles headphones

otherwise for me they are just too close with their own pros and cons.

overall though fo a regular user wanting to use it as their main phone you should be hapy with the tried and true treo 700p isjust slight upgrade to the 650 which ppl loved. ut if you like blackberry don't need touch screen and want to be able to multi task then take a risk on the new q or wait to see what ppl say. you can always try it then return and get the treo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 | Moto X | Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatre
    Q screen is small though and off center
    What center is the Q screen off from? I don't understand.
    if bt stereo headphones are an optional accessory that would use up my credit then I will get the 1 as that would be something new and cool to try and great for listeing to music on it with wireles headphones
    You will probably like this - I use mine with the i730 a lot now and really enjoy the freedom and convenience.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The screen on the Q is placed a tiny bit more to the right on the phone.
    But not really a big deal at all.

Carrier(s)
    tmo, vzw
    Feedback Score
    Well I have been using the 700p for a few days and it appears it isn't as stable as the last version of the 650 released by vzw. I have had to soft reset about four times today..most while doing browser related items.
    A few times the browser would not even start..it would just flash to palm screen and do nothing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

You will probably like this - I use mine with the i730 a lot now and really enjoy the freedom and convenience.
    yeah look at a pic as the other guy explained. the screen is just a tad off center to the right. not sure why they did this. it annoys some but i guess could be looked at as a cool design element but I'd rather they just made the screen wider/larger.

its a little on the small side for a pda phone but i guess its the same as a blackberry which is what its really competing against?

Carrier(s)
    tmo, vzw
    Feedback Score
    yeah look at a pic as the other guy explained. the screen is just a tad off center to the right. not sure why they did this. it annoys some but i guess could be looked at as a cool design element but I'd rather they just made the screen wider/larger.

its a little on the small side for a pda phone but i guess its the same as a blackberry which is what its really competing against?
    I used a blackberry for the last two years and feel that the q will feel "natural" with the jog wheel. Can't wait to try it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    yeah I mean this thread is a tough comparison. the treo 700p will be a great phone and pda. the palm os lacks multi task which is a con but I do love the calendar and task apps better then wm5 for ppc or wm for smartphones which is what the Q uses.

also the palm os is easy to use and possibly slight more stable then wm though some ppl say they are about the same. wm usually needs reset more.

for me who already has a xv6700 with wm5 this makes the decision diff. in one way its like well get the 700p so you have a device with palm since you already have one with wm5 and wm for smartphones that Q uses is similiar but probably just not as good or less to it, less options etc. (for instance i think you can't edit documents with the Q though supposedly when office comes out for it later you can ?)

but for me the main thing was I already had a treo 650. the 700p looks just like all the other treos that everyone has for every carrier. its not much upgrade to teh 650 other then highspeed data which is big but the rest is relatively minor.

the 700p does have a larger nicer screen though and not sure i'm crazy about the Q's off center screen but oh well.

The main thing for me is that it can't multitask. I do a lot of email and follow links from an email for instance getting a hofo email and following the link. you will have to copy the link close the email app in palm and then open browser paste link, then when done close browser go back to email and start over. that sucks

since the blackberry like Q will be great for email and multi task it will be great for that type of thing and posting on hofo and other forums from it etc.

i never had a blackberryand though the scroll wheel did look like it worked well but always thought the browsing wasnt' so great but saw one in action and it was fine so I'm thinking I should like it and those are main reasons I choose it over the 700p for my situation.

the 6700 is still the best and only pda phone with wifi besides older cameraless samsung i730.

I will admit there is the Samsung i320 which is just like the Q but nicer looking, better screen , less wide and smaller but still just as thin and better overall coming for gsm (cingular and tmobile) but prob not for a while and no other provider is going to get the Q if ever so that makes it more exclusive and fun over the 700p which looks like all other treos and soon other carriers will have.

Carrier(s)
    tmo, vzw
    Feedback Score
    yeah I mean this thread is a tough comparison. the treo 700p will be a great phone and pda. the palm os lacks multi task which is a con but I do love the calendar and task apps better then wm5 for ppc or wm for smartphones which is what the Q uses.

also the palm os is easy to use and possibly slight more stable then wm though some ppl say they are about the same. wm usually needs reset more.

for me who already has a xv6700 with wm5 this makes the decision diff. in one way its like well get the 700p so you have a device with palm since you already have one with wm5 and wm for smartphones that Q uses is similiar but probably just not as good or less to it, less options etc. (for instance i think you can't edit documents with the Q though supposedly when office comes out for it later you can ?)

but for me the main thing was I already had a treo 650. the 700p looks just like all the other treos that everyone has for every carrier. its not much upgrade to teh 650 other then highspeed data which is big but the rest is relatively minor.

the 700p does have a larger nicer screen though and not sure i'm crazy about the Q's off center screen but oh well.

The main thing for me is that it can't multitask. I do a lot of email and follow links from an email for instance getting a hofo email and following the link. you will have to copy the link close the email app in palm and then open browser paste link, then when done close browser go back to email and start over. that sucks

since the blackberry like Q will be great for email and multi task it will be great for that type of thing and posting on hofo and other forums from it etc.

i never had a blackberryand though the scroll wheel did look like it worked well but always thought the browsing wasnt' so great but saw one in action and it was fine so I'm thinking I should like it and those are main reasons I choose it over the 700p for my situation.

the 6700 is still the best and only pda phone with wifi besides older cameraless samsung i730.

I will admit there is the Samsung i320 which is just like the Q but nicer looking, better screen , less wide and smaller but still just as thin and better overall coming for gsm (cingular and tmobile) but prob not for a while and no other provider is going to get the Q if ever so that makes it more exclusive and fun over the 700p which looks like all other treos and soon other carriers will have.
    Web browsing on blackberry was mediocre at best and not as good as the current batch of windows devices..especially the evdo ones. On the bberry there were always java issues and html limitations. I was on a bes and supposedly had the "better" full html browser.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    bes? well even the 6700 and best wm5 ppc phones with pie have some limitations compared to full browser. there is a hack for the 6700 or reg edit to make the browser sensed as full ie by websites which helps but some things you want it to know its pie.

i dunno. i don think any of them have java or flash which sucks cus i wanted to use pandora.com but dont think there is anyway yet with a pda phone.

anyway browsing should be better on the Q then blackberry and especially with evdo.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG VX9900 "enV"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hmm...I am leaning more towards the Q now.

For web browsing...which is a better browser? PIE or Blazer?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast