Thread: 3 phones carrier-related settings

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score

3 phones carrier-related settings

Mods, might I suggest this be made into a sticky Thanks!

3 phones carrier-related settings
    This thread is where you can post all your settings for taking phones on or off 3's network, regardless of country. So if you buy a 3 phone, unlock it (if required) and use it on another carrier, or use your 3 USIM in another phone that isn't a 3 phone, you can post it here. I made this thread for various reasons, and felt it was necessary to do so.

1) 3 phones are intended for 3's network and 3's network only. The same goes for their USIM cards.
    2) 3's phones are often branded
    3) 3's phones customisable features (such as changing GPRS settings) are sometimes locked. This is done for "revenue protection".
    4) 3's phones are often locked to the carrier (due to reasons stated in 1 and 3)
    5) The above statements is often disliked by phone enthusiasts and/or bargain hunters. 3 can do cheaper calling rates and phones for the reasons stated above as well as to attract customers. (i.e. more profit)

So, if you LIKE 3's phones but don't live in an area/country where 3 operates, OR, don't like using the 3 carrier and/or network, OR have a nice phone you want to use on the 3 network but don't like their phones (please remember, 3 uses USIM cards, these are not your normal SIM cards and will require a 3G phone to be able to read them. There are plenty of 3G phones around that are able to read USIM cards, if in doubt, just ask!), then see the details below or add yours to help others!

3UK
    Sony Ericsson V800/V802SE/Z800i settings

I *can't* get MMS and GPRS to simultaneously work. I would really appreciate someone taking these settings, perhaps, off another phone such as the Sony Ericsson K608i - i can only get the GPRS to work. The reason for this is that the MMS requires a proxy but the GPRS won't work if the proxy is in place. So, these settings only work for GPRS. The settings were tested on Z800i firmware but *should* work on V800 and V802SE firmwares. You *may* need to have your phone flashed to be able to enter more internet profiles or something, if you have the V800 or V802SE firmware. Please check.

Data accounts: Create one called 3 GPRS.
    APN: three.co.uk
    Username:
    Password:
    Login request: Off
    Allow calls: Automatic
    IP address:
    DNS address:
    Authentication: Normal
    Data compression: Off
    Header compression: Off

That's the Data account done. Now, go into Internet settings, which shouuld also be under connectivity. Go into Internet profiles. Create one called 3 GPRS.
    Connect using: 3 GPRS (select it from the one you created above!)
    Internet mode: Http
    Use Proxy: No
    Now that you've created the GPRS profile, you *may* want to change the Homepage (under Advanced) to the default 3 homepage for the UK: http://mobile.three.co.uk/hb/paragon/Hutchkey

If required, you can change the Streaming settings under Connectivity as well, make sure it uses 3 GPRS. It doesn't use proxy etc. so leave those blank. This should all work, and in the main menu, you should see that the internet icon will take you onto 3 Today (the 3 homepage).

Motorola A1000
    Might I suggest the wonerful site of http://machman.gotdns.com which has various settings for various carriers (you'll need to create an account, but it's worth it for the HEAPS of other stuff available on that website.)

Feedback Score
    Settings for Nokia 6650 and 7600 for 3 UK:
    =====================
    WAP/GPRS settings

Settings' name - 3
    Homepage - http://mobile.three.co.uk/hb/7600/HutchKey
    Proxies - Disable
    Bearer settings >
    [these are submenus of Bearer settings]
    GPRS access point - three.co.uk
    Authentication type - Normal
    Login type - Automatic
    User name - [blank]
    Password - [blank]
    ==================

MMS settings

Settings' name - 3
    Homepage - http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
    Proxies - Enable
    Promary proxy > [the following are under this as submenus]
    Proxy address - mms.three.co.uk
    Port - 8799
    [no longer submenu]

secondary proxy - [blank - if it needs a port number enter 0]
    Bearer settings > [sub menu]
    GPRS access point - three.co.uk
    Authentication type - normal
    User name - [blank]
    password - [blank]

=============================

you can get to WAP/GPRS settings by going menu > services > settings > connection settings > [make sure active service settings is set to something you won't want to use again/set it to a blank one] Edit active service settings

you can get MMS settings at Menu > Messages > Message Settings > Multimedia Msgs. > Connection settings [once again choose the right/blank/unwanted active settings] > edit active multimedia settings

i got these settings off of my Three Nokia 7600 and tried them with a SIM-unlocked 6650, on which they worked fine.

This thread is very useful, since three are rubbish with giving out settings. my friend's 7600 was stolen and covered over his own insurance, who gave him a vanilla (ie. sim-free) 7600, so it didn't have 3's settings on. when he rang them up, the poorly trained call centre staff where all like "no your phone should be set up; you cannot use three on any other phone than a 3 phone" even though this is total rubbish, you can use it on any UMTS phone. so my friend got his phone working fine with these settings.

[you used to be able to use 3 on any phone, but it costs three more money when you roam onto O2's network, so they made sim cards that wouldn't work in GSM phones that always use O2's network - people used to put their sims into GSM phones as they are more attractive than 3's. some UMTS phones, such as Nokia's, let you swtich off the UMTS part, the menu option for which three disables on their own models, so that could be why they said you have to use three phones - that and they probably don't realise that any other UMTS phone works just aswell/they don't want to complicate things for customers who wouldn't understand this]. Even though you can buy Three SIM cards, last time i checked Three still said you could only use these in Three phone, which i doubt is true. technically it's possible for three to block non-3 bought phones, but i doubt they'd bother doing this and would only get annoyed with you if you set your phone never to use the UMTS network. you used to be able to make nokia phones use o2's networks for calls by doing a manual network search, connecting to o2's gsm network, and then making a call. however, if you're on o2's coverage (which you often are now if 3 has coverage anyway) you can't do this as the phone just tries to connect to o2's 3g network. after you'd manually selected o2 after a few minutes the phone would switch back to three, as 3 made the phone always stay on automatic network search, and not manual even after a manual search (as would normally happen on a nokia), so that the phone constantly seeks the 3 network, which it views as its home network and o2 as a roaming partner.

NOTE - don't substitute 7600 for 6650 in the WAP settings if you're using the 6650 phone - the 7600 bit just lets three know what the phone's capable of, cause some of their original phones had GPS in them, so i'm guessing it means three hides the GPS options on their WAP site? either way, 3 never sold the 6650 so i doubt their wap site would recognise it as a handset, and the 6650 works fine with the 7600 wap site.
    Last edited by voodoofish; 05-07-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    awesome..... to see that your friend got a generic 7600 and not a 3 branded one though!! they are much better :P

Device(s)
    SonyEricsson W880i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the info mate, just what i needed

ok, now for my question:

i've bought a Nokia N91 which is 3g but doesn't have the camera on the front so i'm assuming i can't do video calling, for obvious reasons (i don't care, not interested anyway), but can i actually use this handset with a '3' sim card? nobody seems to be able to give me a hard and fast answer..

also, does anyone know if '3' support GPRS 'data' rather than just WAP? i need to be able to setup POP/SMTP/IMAP e-mail and use that and occasionally WAP too.

i bought my N91 sim-free so it's got no branding at all and unlocked etc, so should it work? it's classed as '3g' although video calling is not possible
    ---
    James Hamilton
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RooDBwoY
    thanks for the info mate, just what i needed

ok, now for my question:

i've bought a Nokia N91 which is 3g but doesn't have the camera on the front so i'm assuming i can't do video calling, for obvious reasons (i don't care, not interested anyway), but can i actually use this handset with a '3' sim card? nobody seems to be able to give me a hard and fast answer..

also, does anyone know if '3' support GPRS 'data' rather than just WAP? i need to be able to setup POP/SMTP/IMAP e-mail and use that and occasionally WAP too.

i bought my N91 sim-free so it's got no branding at all and unlocked etc, so should it work? it's classed as '3g' although video calling is not possible

This is kinda an off topic question, but the short answer should be yes, the N91 should work with a Three SIM card, though I would try with a Pay As You Go (which can be bought SIM-only) first to make sure (or by borrowing a friend's SIM if you know a friend who has one), and of course if Three figure out how to block your phone you'd have no repreve against them as you're not really supposed to be using the N91 on their network (however i do not see this as likely).

http://www.three.co.uk/planetthree/d...=1139512467566 has info on using your phone as an internet connection under "Wireless web". This may require separate settings which aren't in the Nokia settings i've posted here (i think data internet sometimes uses a separate APN on some networks?).

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    I know 3 hid some of the settings on the Nokia 6280 I used to have. You should try the 7600 settings since that's Symbian, even though an older version.

Also, I have been using a V800 (never released on 3) flashed to a Z800 (never released on 3 in the UK) since April and have been fine. I can even roam with it in Hong Kong fine. It works fine, so I don't see the issues. If you have an older 3 SIM card rather than the newer USIMs i would not try it because 3 will block your phone , or at least, theres a chance they will. They switched from the older SIMs to the newer USIMs which aren't compatible in GSM only phones to prevent their customers from placing the SIMs into normal 2G/2.5G handsets. They did this several years ago.

I too am *pretty* sure a 3 SIM or USIM will work in a N91.

By the way,. while we are (and this thread too...) on the topic of using non-3 phones on 3, I should mention that 3 have started glueing the USIMs inside the ZTE phones LOL!!!! or this is what i hear/read. would be nice if someone can confirm and post pictures!!

by the way, the Wireless Web is simply a 15 UK pounds paymebt for 56MB worth or data (through a laptop, not sure if it will work for a phone only without a laptop, i hope so!! otherwise that would be silly!) since 3 have "walled in garden" access to the WAP, there is a 2 pound per MB of data option i think, but its useless since it only unblocked certain WAP sites and will be inadequate.

3 are only good for two things: cheap price plans + some cheap and/or nice phones. The Motorola V3x is one that i can think of off the top of my head. I know lots of 3 branded ones end up outside 3 service areas , e.g. in the US and Canada.
    Last edited by Junglizt1210; 05-25-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Device(s)
    SE W550i
    Carrier(s)
    O2 uk
    Feedback Score
    do you have the settings for the w850i??

cheers

Feedback Score
    hello
    i have moto L7 and i want to use my 3 usim in that is there anyway for that (software) thanks in adv

Device(s)
    Samsung pixon
    Carrier(s)
    Orange 3g,
    Feedback Score
    no chance in hell your moto l7 will work with a 3sim....no chance at all

Feedback Score
    thanks for ur ans so i didn't try for that also

Device(s)
    Nokia N95(primary)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a problem...I lost my unlocked and unbranded Moto A1000 at an airport..I ordered a new one..but it's branded with the 3..and it doesn't work for me in the United states with Tmobile..I put in my tmo sim card..I can call out and recieve and text..my browser works...but am limited to web sites..And my mms isn't working at all..I entered all the tmobile configurations. Anybody know how to get it my phone up to par..any help or advice would be great. plz email me at [email protected]
    thanks in advance

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Lucky13a5taRd
    I have a problem...I lost my unlocked and unbranded Moto A1000 at an airport..I ordered a new one..but it's branded with the 3..and it doesn't work for me in the United states with Tmobile..I put in my tmo sim card..I can call out and recieve and text..my browser works...but am limited to web sites..And my mms isn't working at all..I entered all the tmobile configurations. Anybody know how to get it my phone up to par..any help or advice would be great. plz email me at [email protected]
    thanks in advance
    If you have MSN, or Yahoo Messenger, PM me your address and I'll run you through how to debrand the whole thing. Technically this post shouldn't be in this forum, but yeah, PM me and I'll run you through how to do it. You'll need a bit of patience and the standard cable and some software I'll send you. Your phone seems like it's unlocked as you can make calls so that's good.

Feedback Score

3 phone locked

hi to everyone sorry if in the wrong thread but am new. my question is i have an old three mobile and want to unlock it to all networks its a sony ericsson k608i is it possible and how do i do it thanks