Just thought I'd add my thoughts to the v60/8260 debate:

I've been a fan of Nokia phones since I got my first wireless 5 years ago. I still love the Nokia 6100 series (my first digital phone) due to it's features, menu navigation, decent sound quality and sturdy (but not cumbersome) size and weight. Alas, I had that phone for about 2.5 years, but lost it in a bar somewhere. The hunt for a new phone was on.

My first attempt was the 8260. I loved it, it had ring/vibrate built in, a large phonebook, Nokia's kick butt menu system, and a cool look (I got it when it first came out, so it was still a novelty).

The sound quality was so so, and reception was OK, but not stellar. I had that phone for 3 months before it's small size backfired on me. I always thought it felt a little "breakable" (because I'm not the holster wearing type), and I ended up really screwing it up by sitting on the keys. The tech said that it was a software related problem triggered by the physical squeezing of the phone. This never happened to my Nokia 6100 series.

The phone also got hot during coversations and the earpiece tended to buzz while talking.

Second attempt - Mototola Timeport 8767. Great sound quality, great reception but the worst menu system/features ever. Why offer a mid-line phone with no date and time function (hint hint - motorola offers the clip on date book accessory). As soon as I found out there was no time/date function, I returned it (after only two days).

Third attempt - Nokia 7160. Awesome phone. The sound quality and reception were so-so, but I liked the sliding mouthpiece function that acted as a keyguard/answer mechanism/microphone. Loaded with features (voice recognition, datasync software, great datebook, huge memory, etc.) including a HUGE, easy to read screen. Lacked a vibrate function, though. I really got used to that with the Nokia 8260. Same great menu system, same outstanding Nokia quality.

Only downsides were that the phone got a little hot after a long call, and it was pretty large (bigger than the 6100 series - price to pay for the TV sized screen). Overall, it lacked the "cool" feeling you want in a high tech device. I probably would have kept this one if Cingular didn't start offering the v60t.

I had the 7160 for 6 months before deciding to change on the basis of "cool" alone. Like I said before, it was an awesome phone, but I've seen cordless phones for the house that had cooler handsets than this.

Fourth (current) attempt - Motorola v60t. A pure impulse buy two weeks ago. I love the weight and feel of the phone (i.e., it's small without feeling "breakable" like the 8260). Sound quality is much better than the Nokias, but I can't say the same about the features and menu navigation. We all know it - Nokia is the king of easy to use menu navigation and offering phones with a ton of features (As a former Nokia user, I actually started to take things like large phone books or incredible talk/standby times for granted).

Here's a lesson for Motorola - the v60 menu system and addition of softkeys is a million times improved over the Startacs, but it's still lacking. Why can't you scroll up to go through the menus backwards (a la Nokia)? The side mounted smart key is nice, but pretty pointless, and the side mounted voice key is way to easy to accidentily press. Hey Motorola - definitely take your cue from Nokia on this one - the softkeys on the keypad are called softkeys for a reason. They can be set to do whatever the situation requires. So get rid of the smart key and voice key on the outside of the phone because they only end up in the way.

The Voice tags for menu settings are nice, but they're pretty useless in day to day use. As I recall, this is a feature the Nokias need more, because their menus tend to include more items and tend to be deeper within each submenu. I'd trade the voicetags for the capability to scroll through the menus backwards in a heartbeat.

Finally - the v60's have a history of various software/firmware problems that require service upgrades. I've never, ever had to do this to one of my Nokias. Sure, it may allow for a more flexible phone down the road, but considering the potential downsides (phonebooks instantly erasing, etc.) and the lifespan of most phones (less than 3 years for most people), I'd say get rid of the flexibility and give us reliability instead. Offering a flagship phone (i.e, over $400) with bugs is totally unacceptable. I'd say that Motorola is to phones as Microsoft is to software. You don't have to give consumers the capability to fix things if they can't be broken in the first place.

Still, I love the phone's look and sound quality. It feels tons more substantial than the 8260, but is still lagging behind even the cheapest Nokia's in ease of menu navigation, useable features, and useability overall. For the most part the phone is cool enough, sounds good enough, and has enough useable features to make it worth my money (even at full wholesale - $400+!). I'll give it a couple of weeks, though. If the software/firmware/phonebook dumping problem cost me any more time or effort, I'll see about a total refund and go back to the 8260 (I can get a free one through Cingular to replace the one I broke.)

After the 7160 (which is tons better than the 8260 in terms of features and practicality), the v60t feels like a step backwards. But I paid $400 bucks to be the first on my block to own the Rolls Royce of phones, and I don't regret it one bit (at least not yet).

In summary - Motorola = great sound quality, less than intuitive menus and features, but coolest/best looking technolgy (going back to the first StarTacs), Nokia = so so sound quality, amazing menus and features, but much lower on the cool factor (except for the 8260, which could still hang with the high tech boys until everyone and their mother got one).