Thread: Is this a problem with all lcd monitors?

Feedback Score

Question Is this a problem with all lcd monitors?

I just got a new 19" flatscreen Acer 19" 1914 from newegg due to it's good customer reviews. I had been using a 17" crt for about 6 years and finally decided to upgrade. When I 1st set it up I didn't realise how huge it was, but yet so thin which is great. However, there are a few things that are bothering me. It's too bright. I turned down the contrast and brightness because out of the box it was set wayyy too high. I've noticed though that blacks don't really come out too well. It's more of a glowing dark shade of gray. It's more evident at the top and bottom where the backlight creaps through and it makes watching 16:9 dvd movies annoying. One of the main reasons I bought it was to watch movies on but now because of how messed up the black looks I think I should have just bought a new 27" tv it would have cost the same as the monitor. Are this brightness/glowing/black color issues a problem of lcd technology or should I just try a different brand? I kind of miss my crt now.

Device(s)
    Nokia e61
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    As far as overall quality goes, CRT's are better. The only thing that LCD's do better are save space.

Device(s)
    nokia 6310i
    Carrier(s)
    fido.ca
    Feedback Score
    Don't know about the black (haven't watched too many movies on mine) but it does take awhile to get use to the brightness of the recent TFTs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i have a Dell 20" LCD and it is very bright but with the Nvidia drivers you can turn down the brightness to an acceptable level. the backlight also creeps through in the corners but its only noticeable when the room is dark and the screen is black.

Feedback Score
    Same thing with my moniter, it's nice, not too dark or not too bright. I also do have problems when I am playing CS:S or watching a movie, you can see the backlight around the edges, it's normal. You can change the brightness of your moniter in your ATI or nVidia settings (If you have those cards)

Device(s)
    BB 8830WE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've got a 19" ViewSonic and it's awesome (you can auto adjust it and contrast never seems to be a problem. Blacks are really black, not grey, only problem was the cable i got was screwed up, but i used my old Gateway cable and it worked fine and got rid of the random Yellow tinge.

Device(s)
    Q10 (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the black levels are a consistent problem with most LCDs. They best thing you can do is to try and get a unit with a high contrast ratio. The higher the number, the more contrast between black and white there is.

Device(s)
    N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    The New Ma Bell
    Feedback Score
    You'll never get a true black with current LCD's. Once organic LED LCD 's hit the market in the next two to three years that won't be a problem anymore, because they don't need a lit backscreen like current LCD's. SED/FED monitors won't have that problem either, since every pixel will be a CRT monitor on a nanoscale.