Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why is the American cellular industry so far behind the Japanese?

Device(s)
    Motorola DROID 2 (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Why is the American cellular industry so far behind the Japanese?

This isn't something that's specific to Verizon Wireless but, seeing as I use Verizon, I guess this just seemed like the most natural place to post it. If this isn't where it should go, hopefully a mod will be kind enough to move it in the proper direction. All that said:

Why are we so far behind the Europeans and the Asians in every facet of the cellular phone industry? Not only in terms of the features of phones, but also the capabilities of the networks that we're on.

And even when we do get certain capabilities, they're hamstrung in some way.

Yay, we got video capture! Wait... it's limited to 15 seconds. You all know what I'm talking about.

Yay, we got Bluetooth! I don't think I need to go into any more detail.

I'm just curious as to why this is.
    The Squared Cube

Device(s)
    HTC ONE M9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqube
    This isn't something that's specific to Verizon Wireless but, seeing as I use Verizon, I guess this just seemed like the most natural place to post it. If this isn't where it should go, hopefully a mod will be kind enough to move it in the proper direction. All that said:

Why are we so far behind the Europeans and the Asians in every facet of the cellular phone industry? Not only in terms of the features of phones, but also the capabilities of the networks that we're on.

And even when we do get certain capabilities, they're hamstrung in some way.

Yay, we got video capture! Wait... it's limited to 15 seconds. You all know what I'm talking about.

Yay, we got Bluetooth! I don't think I need to go into any more detail.

I'm just curious as to why this is.
    It depends on what you focus on ....
    The USA for exmple is far ahead of most countries in:
    Rate plans .. Most other countries give you FAR less than our plans ...All the Unlimited mins, Nites,weekends, hundreds of included mins, Mobile to moble, free roam on extended systems, ect... We are ahead of Much of the world in that regard. I wouldn't trade any of this for a fone with a can opener built in, or whatever ..
    Home Rate Area .. Not the EU or Asia comes close to offering our free Home coverage area that covers multiple time zones & such a vast distance...
    EV-DO : .. This fast data service that has been with many areas of the US for a year or 2 now is ahead of many countries.
    98% of the fones you would see in a store in the UK or France are exactly the same stuff as here, & we actually do get some models before they do.....
    "Every Facet"?? - c'mon!
    Last edited by MeatChicken; 11-02-2005 at 01:01 PM.
    "I'm All In!"

Device(s)
    Moto X DevEd
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd say we are behind in cool phones from Japan, but far behind from Europe?

Feedback Score
    I don't think that bothers me. Look at the other side. Way high price there (would you pay $30-40 bucks for a CD? 10 bucks for cheesebuger? correct me if i am wrong)

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about rate plans, but in some other countries, people basically pay full-rate for their phones. The plans are much cheaper ofcourse.

For the Japan comparison, it's hard to say. On one hand, there's one cellular provider, so they can do whatever they want to do in terms of adding new features. There's no need to be compatible with someone else. Very similar to how the Mac is compared with the PC.

Also, the Japanese consumer tends to be more discriminating that the US. Lots of techy products sell here that would not make it in Japan.

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Well lets put things into perspective here. Japan is actually 4 major islands, where most of the people live very close together in highly dense cities (i.e Tokyo). And all of Japan's islands including its water terrirories is about the same size as the state of New Mexico. So small network, lots of subscribers, means fast changes to meet demand.
    I was first BANNED on Feb 26, 2005 @ 1:37 PM
    I made my 100th post on April 4, 2005 @ 2:10 PM

Device(s)
    VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devee
    I don't think that bothers me. Look at the other side. Way high price there (would you pay $30-40 bucks for a CD? 10 bucks for cheesebuger? correct me if i am wrong)

If i was paying that over there.. **** yea.. yens are cheap

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i believe that america was first in the cellular revolution. so we have all of that old legacy stuff like the analog frequencies.

the rest of the world got into the game later and started their networks on more advanced technologies.

that would be my guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin_hash

For the Japan comparison, it's hard to say. On one hand, there's one cellular provider, so they can do whatever they want to do in terms of adding new features. There's no need to be compatible with someone else. Very similar to how the Mac is compared with the PC.
    This is completely incorrect. There's KDDI (http://www.au.kddi.com/english/), NTT DoCoMo (http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/), and (at least) Vodafone (http://www.vodafone.jp/scripts/english/top.jsp). I don't really know much about the Japanese market, but a quick search got me this information. Try not to spread misinformation.

Device(s)
    LG VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    I been to both Japan and Korea where they are way ahead of us, the main reason why we are behind is because of our land mass, it takes alot to update all of our towers and system to be capabable of what the phones can do. When it comes to Europe and Asia although large in mass it is still made up of small countries for the most part then you have to factor in the cost of updating the systems over their, which leaves alot more money to invest in engineering as opposed to the cost of keeping our huge land mass of towers just maintained much less upgraded especially know when dealing with faster data transfer rates

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't Hong Kong offer very new phones and very cheap calling plans?

Feedback Score
    They don't have the FCC to worry about.
    To err is human. To really mess things up, you need a computer!

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I think labor is cheaper in those countries, so they can adopt new technology sooner then us.

White Plains, NY (Home) Ithaca, NY (College)
    Device(s)
    LG EnV + Moto H500
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ky yaker
    They don't have the FCC to worry about.
    that is correct. the fcc does really make it hard for new technology and products to come to the market. but the rules are also much more stringent than other countries.

but which would you rather?

A: cool cell phone + crappy economy (long work week, lower per capita income, technologically advanced in *some* areas)

B: not as cool cell phone + strong economy (shorter work week, much higher per capita income, overall leader in technology)

Feedback Score
    what i don't get is why motorola and samsung, who make the coolest phones internationally, say for korea for example, don't just take their phones, tweak them and sell them into the US market. Korea's on cdma just like verizon. instead, we get the uglier phones that they're making.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast