Thread: Is it worth getting the E815 if you dont need EVDO?

Device(s)
    MOTO e815 *(sick phone!!)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is it worth getting the E815 if you dont need EVDO?

I cant decided between the v710 and the E815. The only thing that makes me want to get the e815 over the v710 is that the e815 can use the speaker phone with the phone closed.

i dont use evdo, or want vcast. i dont browse the internet, or tether or what ever. All i want is a good phone with nice features.

I am sure there are others who are trying to figure it out. So what you think? should I just get the v710 because I dont really use data? Are there any other people here who just use the E815 as a phone? Seems like everyone is EVDO crazy these days.

Feedback Score
    they are the same price, you might as well get the e815...unless u live in an area where you need analog service.

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, a big plus is that you can get the OBEX bluetooth profile working. You can exchange files between your computer and your phone. The e815 is also more sturdy. My friend has the 710 and the first thing he said was, "this just feels better!" Just a few thoughts......

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The keyboard design on the 710 is moronic. The 815, with the exception of the bottom row, is more correctly designed (why they kept the lame design on the bottom row is beyond imagination).

As pointed out above, the main reason to get the 710 would be if you need to have analog service. This was a painful decision to me as I do travel a lot, but in the last few years, the analog only areas I've been to have been so rare that I just decided I don't need it.

Device(s)
    Moto e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I only use mobile web, and don't live in a EVDO area anyways, and I got the e815 rather than the v710 because the keypad is way better (tried it in the store, and of course you'll use the keypad *all* the time), and the camera is better. Plus, I figured that any "new cool stuff" they come out with will be more likely to hit the e815 than the v710. For example, I'm hoping they'll actually come out with location based services (gives you directions as you're driving) soon.

Your question should actually be the opposite - since the e815 is the newer phone, and the reception and sound quality seems to be equal to the v710, is there any reason you should get the v710?

Device(s)
    MOTO e815 *(sick phone!!)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers
    I only use mobile web, and don't live in a EVDO area anyways, and I got the e815 rather than the v710 because the keypad is way better (tried it in the store, and of course you'll use the keypad *all* the time), and the camera is better. Plus, I figured that any "new cool stuff" they come out with will be more likely to hit the e815 than the v710. For example, I'm hoping they'll actually come out with location based services (gives you directions as you're driving) soon.

Your question should actually be the opposite - since the e815 is the newer phone, and the reception and sound quality seems to be equal to the v710, is there any reason you should get the v710?

well, there are serious problems with the phone. People are reporting that the speaker phone is not full duplex.

Basically the speaker phone is a big thing for me, I never had one. You can use it with the phone closed. But if its not full duplex?

My question is, if the speaker phone is NOT full duplex on the e815, is the v710?
    Last edited by tonedeafnyc; 08-08-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Feedback Score
    i never had a problem with my speakerphone......im not sure whether or not im gettin cut off...but the person im talkin too has never complained.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have the 815, and I used the speakerphone for 2.5 hours the 2nd day I had it. I had no issues and the person on the other end, didn't complain at all. I have a buddy that has the 710 and he drools on the 815. We have another friend that traded up from his 710 to the 815 and he likes it better. He has a nice video of Niagara Falls.

Speakerphone sure does drain the battery tho... ;-p

/knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with my phone yet.

Device(s)
    LG enV2 VX-9100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I haven't had a problem using the speakerphone on the E815, and I probably use the feature at least 10 minutes to an hour every day so far. A friend of mine just picked up an E815 also, and he hasn't noticed any problems either.