Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: LG vx8100 Bluetooth, Flix, Pix and Sounds Howto

Device(s)
    LG VX 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

LG vx8100 Bluetooth, Flix, Pix and Sounds Howto

Hey, I've been a lurker for a long time, figured it's time for me to post. The 8100 is pretty new, and there are a few HowTos, but nothing covering everything, so I'll see what I can cover.

First off, you'll need to get your phone connected to your computer... I use Bluetooth, but you can also use a data cable. Here are instructions for Bluetooth
    1. Click Menu->Settings and Tools->9. PC Connection
    2. Select 3. Bluetooth to use Bluetooth
    3. If it asks you if you want to turn bluetooth on, select Yes.
    4. Go to Menu -> Settings and Tools -> 0. Bluetooth
    5. Select 3. My Visibility
    6. Select "Show to All"
    7. On your PC, go to "My Bluetooth Places" (you can type that in windows explorer and you will go there)
    8. Click "View Devices in Range" in the left hand side
    9. Double click on your phone
    10. Double Click on "Bluetooth Serial Port".
    11. It will tell you what Com Port it is assigning to the phone, this is important, remember it (it's Com8 on my computer)

Your phone is now connected!!!!

Now, download BitPim. Install, then run.
    1. Click Edit ->Settings
    2. Change Phone Type to LG-VX8000
    3. Type in the COM Port from before (for me it's COM8)
    4. Click the FileSystem Tab (That's all that works for BitPim)
    5. All of your files are displayed in their wonderful Glory!

Here are the locations for important files:
    \Brew\16452\ --- All uploads go somewhere in here.
    mf --- My Flix
    mp --- My Pix
    ms --- My Sounds
    lk\mr --- My Ringtones

\dload\ --- This contains information about flix/pix/sounds/ringtones
    There will be a files very suggestively named, such as: my_ringtone.dat and my_ringtonesize.dat. These files contain lists of the ringtones, so they need to be updated. The phone will create new files if you delete the old ones, so whenever you add a ringtone, sound, pix or flix, delete the two corresponding files.

Here are some rules: the 8100 ignores .mp3 files, although it DOES know how to play them. In order to use an mp3 file on your phone, you must rename it to .mid or .qcp. You DO NOT have to convert it, just change the extension.

To load a video onto your phone, it must be a .3gp file. To convert files to .3gp, I used Mpegable X4 Live. The company no longer supports the software, but there is shareware available here: Mpegable x4 Live v2.2
    Converting is very straight forward, select input file, select output destination, select "Mobile Devices (3gpp compliant)", click the red circle... done.

I highly recommend buying a mini-sd card. I picked up one today from Circuit City with a SD-Adapter. Plug the card into the phone, reboot the phone, and you will have three directories,... My Pix, Flix, and Sounds... put files in there, you won't have to mess with the filesystem ever again. Currently I have two episodes of Family guy converted over, and it's a blast being able to watch those on the phone. Each 22 minute episode is 15.5 Megs, so I can fit a whole season on the 256mb card I have. The video player allows for fast forward and rewind also, I'm working on a way to open up audio files in the video player, so I can put audiobooks on my card and have something to listen to on the subway.

Device(s)
    LG VX-8100
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Front Buttons

Great Writeup, and this is probably the most current information you have on this phone. I have a couple of questions:

-Will the phone ever be able to unlock the front buttons to be used with media (videos/sounds)?

-Through a trick or some BitPim, will the speakerphone ever be able to work with the phone closed?

Thanks for the good writeup.
    Mike

Device(s)
    LG VX 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    off Topic from my howto post, but here are the quick and dirty answers.
    1. I hope so, but I have no clue how or when, there are already lots of threads dedicated to speculating this.
    2. Probably not, look at where the microphone is, there is no room for sound to get in when the phone is closed.

Alright, hopefully all other replies can stay on topic.

Feedback Score
    What's the limit on the ringtones? All I need to do is convert mp3s the same way as for the mp3 player right?

Device(s)
    LG VX 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is a 2mb limit for Ringtones (buy a memory card, they're cheap and easy to use, you can use that memory for whatever you like), you can see how much you have used on your phone by clicking Menu --> Get It Now --> Info (right soft key). It will tell you how much memory is being used up.

Because space is an issue, I would recommend a much higher compression rate for mp3s as ringtones. To make ringtones, I use Audacity to edit the music files down to a reasonable length, then export as mp3. In the File->Preferences section of the menu, you are able to set the mp3 quality. It's usually at 128k, which gives you approximately 1 minute / megabyte. I prefer 40k, which is still pretty high for ringtones, but you can fit much more into 2 megs. You can play around and see what sounds best for the song that you have.

Example:
    12 second mp3 x 128k encoding == 186k
    12 second mp3 x 40k encoding == 59k

Also, right before you export as mp3, be sure to maximize the volume by selecting everything, Clicking Effect ->Amplify, then click OK. Amplify automatically selects the maximum you can amplify the sound without clipping the loud parts. This ensures your ringtone is as loud as it can be on your phone.

Feedback Score
    Can it play the bigger ones though? Assuming I had space and had a few big mp3s, 3 or 4 mb, would it be able to play them?

Device(s)
    LG VX 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was wrong, you cannot use your memory card for ringtones. My Sounds cannot be used as ringtones , only the mr folder listed above.

Feedback Score

Recognizes mp3s on phone - but how to play?

OK, as per the instructions above, it creates the directories on my miniSD card and I put MP3s in there and renamed them to .mid and .qcp and when I go to manage memory and under sounds it shows them ... but how do I play them?

Device(s)
    LG VX 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Short Answer: You cannot use 3/4 meg mp3 files as ringtones.

Long Answer:

The phone can play huge mp3 files if need be. However, they cannot be used as ringtones. There is ONLY 2mb allocated to ringtones. Anything in the My Sounds folder is basically useless, you cannot set them as ringtones or alarms. The only chance you will ever get to listen to them is by clicking "play" in the GIN menu.

However, I do know that both MR and MS support playing larger files, though why you would want a 5 minute song as a ringtone is beyond me. Download Audacity and limit it to 15 seconds, lower the bitrate, you will NEVER notice.

I have put an audiobook mp3 in the My Sounds folder, and it does play, however, there is no fast forward/rewind... The best option to listen to audiobooks IMHO is to convert the audio to video somehow... I'm attempting to figure this out at the moment.

Device(s)
    LG VX 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by braymeister
    OK, as per the instructions above, it creates the directories on my miniSD card and I put MP3s in there and renamed them to .mid and .qcp and when I go to manage memory and under sounds it shows them ... but how do I play them?
    They should show up in the My Sounds directory as soon as you insert your card. The whole directory auto-updates whenever you plug in your card, so new .mid files automatically pop up (with a slightly different icon) in the My Sounds directory (Menu->Get it Now-> Get Tunes & Tones ->My Sounds)

Press "OK" on the sound to play

Device(s)
    Lg VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Without the wires
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepic
    Great Writeup, and this is probably the most current information you have on this phone. I have a couple of questions:

-Will the phone ever be able to unlock the front buttons to be used with media (videos/sounds)?

-Through a trick or some BitPim, will the speakerphone ever be able to work with the phone closed?

Thanks for the good writeup.
    Mike
    SPeaker phone while phone is closed: Try this. Turn on your speakerphone. Make a call(611 is free) plug in your headset. Close the phone. Remove headset. that might work

LG VX6810

For Tutorials on the Kyocera Slider goto http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=685132

For Tutorials on the LG VX6000 goto http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=201082

LG REALLY HAS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!
    LG's Horrible Charger Problem
    I don't miss mine! That thing was loud as all hell when it snapped into place.

Device(s)
    LG VX-8100
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I just went out and purchased a bluetooth connection and a 256 card for my LG8100. I've connected the phone to my new bluetooth connection, but when I bring up BitPim, I use COM4 (that's the port my computer told me) and LG8000 phone. BitPim doesn't see my phone. I also tried Other CDMA phone with no success. Anything else you can reccomend to get it connected?

What version of BitPim are you using? I downloaded the latest version and there is no FileSystem Tab. Perhaps I would have more success with an older version...

Thanks again for all the help.

Device(s)
    LG 8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hi, I'm very new at this so please bare with me.

I trimmed the song to about 40 seconds but how do you change the quality? Under preferences-> quality, I have Default sample rate and Default sample format. Is this what I'm supposed to be changing?

Also, I don't have the option to choose Effect-> Amplify. It is grayed out. Is this on an upgraded version?

Thanks for all your help.

Device(s)
    VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

True or False?

Quote Originally Posted by feanish
    lk\mr --- My Ringtones

\dload\ --- This contains information about flix/pix/sounds/ringtones
    There will be a files very suggestively named, such as: my_ringtone.dat and my_ringtonesize.dat. These files contain lists of the ringtones, so they need to be updated. The phone will create new files if you delete the old ones, so whenever you add a ringtone, sound, pix or flix, delete the two corresponding files.
    So, to add an "MP3" ringtone, trim it down to about 15 seconds or so, rename the extension to .mid or .qcp and throw it in the lk/mr folder using bitpim?

That is, until a new Bitpim is released.

Device(s)
    LG VX-8100
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    OK, downloaded an older version of BitPim and found the FileSystem tab. I moved a ringtone with a .qcp file on the end of it, no prob. Then I went to /dload area and removed my_ringtone.dat and my_ringtonesize.dat... Still not showing up on my phone. Am I missing something???

I may know the problem and someone here may be able to help. When I renamed my ringtone to .qcp, it is showing up after uploading it as ringtone.qcp.mp3. Perhaps that is why. Any idea what I should do to fix that?
    Last edited by mikepic; 07-24-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast