Thread: GSM Networks in Hawaii and Nevada

Device(s)
    i860
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Question GSM Networks in Hawaii and Nevada

How good is the GSM service and coverage in Hawaii and Nevada? I live there but I am in college in Vegas. Will ATTWS have more phones from Motorola?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G(16GB Black)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Coverage here on Oahu for the most part has been pretty good for me, despite the fact that I'm using one of the phones with the worst RF reception, T68i. Pretty much everywhere I go that I get signal the calls are clear and the coverage doesn't seem all that much worse then the TDMA network coverage as far as I can tell.
    What, ME worry?

Device(s)
    V60i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Big Island GSM still sucks. Besides Oahu, pretty much every other island as well.

Feedback Score
    GSM and TDMA service in Vegas is great. No problems at all. The only Motorola GSM phone that AT&T offers is the T720. They used to offer the Timeport, but that was a piece of junk and it sort of disappeared.

For TDMA, it is the V60i.

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How about Maui?

Has anyone here used GSM on Maui? Specifically Ka'a'napali(dunno if i got the ' right :-) and/or Lahiana?

(That's where my friend's timeshare is. Last year I didn't want to pay roaming on my Cingular phone...this year I won't have to. :-)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: How about Maui?

Originally posted by JakiChan
    Has anyone here used GSM on Maui? Specifically Ka'a'napali(dunno if i got the ' right :-) and/or Lahiana?

(That's where my friend's timeshare is. Last year I didn't want to pay roaming on my Cingular phone...this year I won't have to. :-)
    It's "Ka'anapali" -- you almost got it

I know T-Mo covers about half the island...not sure about now. AT&T GSM might be better, but probably not by much.

Enjoy Maui

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: How about Maui?

Originally posted by IsLand_BoY
    It's "Ka'anapali" -- you almost got it

I know T-Mo covers about half the island...not sure about now. AT&T GSM might be better, but probably not by much.

Enjoy Maui
    Well, I remember visiting a mall in the main town there (a pretty big mall) by the airport (forgot the name, sorry) and saw a kiosk selling AT&T T68is. So I know it'd have to work there. And I'd like to think That Ka'anapali, being such a major resort type area, would have a tower or two.

And I enjoyed Maui a whole bunch. My best friend has a 1 month timeshare there (well, technically it belongs to his mom) and we went there for a week. Can't wait to go next year...and it's always nice to have a working phone that doesn't rape you (aka Cingular roaming) when you travel. :-)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G(16GB Black)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    While we're at it, can I ask those of you who have been to Kauai how the coverage is like there? I myself haven't been back there to visit my parents in a while, and in fact haven't been back since the beginning of this year so I'm wondering if the GSM coverage there is decent like the TDMA coverage.

Device(s)
    BB 8700, Treo 700p, V3
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, VZW
    Feedback Score
    I'll be in Kapa'a over Christmas and new year. I'm really interested in how the GSM coverage is there.
    Dataman