Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: VZW Treo 650 Problems

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&Tingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25
    Not if they aren't tested thoroughly against the particular OS release that they are meant for. There are quite a few programs out there that worked flawlessly on the 600 and that are causing problems on the 650. To me, that's not architectural...that's a compatibility issue. The 600 and 650 use different versions of the Palm OS...and if the development houses don't validate their software on the newest version, who knows what's going to happen. That, to me, is the issue.
    I agree, when Windows XP first came out there were a lot of device drivers and softwares that weren't compatible with it that did work on 2000, ME, 9x, etc. People whined and moaned saying "OMG! MY DOS GAME THAT WORKED UNDER WINDOWS 98 DOESNT WORK ON XP! XP IS CRAP!" It's not that the OS is crap, it's the fact that the OS has changed, and the software is expecting things about the OS to be a certain way, but now they work a little differently.

Same thing applies to the Treo as it does to windows: If you download every little screen saver, game, program that you can find on to your windows machine, eventually you are going to download one that is poorly written and it will crash your machine...maybe even screw it up to the point where you need to reinstall windows (or hard reset).

So while there may be tried-and-true softwares that work on the 600, since the 650 OS is different, those softwares may not work on the 650. Same thing goes for windows...There were a lot of softwares that worked under windows 2000 that wouldn't work on XP for one reason or another. You simply have to wait a bit until a version of the software you want to use is updated to work on the 650.

As far as docs-to-go is concerned: It's stability issues concern their software on any palm device, not just the 650. It has problems on just about any palm you load it on to. And while it is bundled with the Treo, that doesn't make it Palm's fault, as they didn't develop the software...all the blame there goes to dataviz.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if this is new news or old news, but there is a release (redownload) available for registered DTG users on the dataviz website... there was a notice posted on the PalmOne website regarding the Treo 650 and the version of DTG bundled with it. They admitted to some known issues and said that the update was available through dataviz. I'm getting my Treo 650 soon, and I'm planning on starting from ground zero when I install my old programs (from a Zire 71), which includes a bunch of Skyscape med reference programs, iSilo, Acrobat reader, some med utilities, and a few games (most downloaded from a Treo site that checks compatibility with our beloved Treo). I'm actually installing the palm desktop software on a separate computer from the one that I use with my Zire, so old *.pdb files and backup files won't be an issue. I've sifted through my backup file folder for my Zire and copied all of my third-party application files and any necessary *.pdb files into a separate folder and will install them one by one onto my Zire. Skyscape pretty much ensures compatibility with the Treo, but mentions the new memory structure as "maybe" problematic, but it's my understanding that our Verizon Treo's come with the new memory structure with smaller minimum chunks (32 bytes versus 512 bytes on the original Treo 650 that caused so many memory expansion problems when upgrading devices). Okay, I'm babbling now... the main point is that a lot of third-party app's are to fault, and with every new device/file system/memory structure/OS/etc., there are bound to be issues with programs that aren't extensively tested or designed for the new setup.
    Former VZW customer and VZWCC member. Switched to AT&T for the iPhone, and maintain a VZW line for work.

Device(s)
    RIM 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not if they aren't tested thoroughly against the particular OS release that they are meant for. There are quite a few programs out there that worked flawlessly on the 600 and that are causing problems on the 650. To me, that's not architectural...that's a compatibility issue. The 600 and 650 use different versions of the Palm OS...and if the development houses don't validate their software on the newest version, who knows what's going to happen. That, to me, is the issue.
    Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. I dont know how many versions of palm OS are running out there on the various devices but if its true, that could be a real headache for many developers. Sounds a little like trying to design a website for all the browsers out there.
    I am mobile, therefore I am....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had some issues with my 650. I brought it back also. I am not one to slam this or any device without anything short of a nightmarish occurance, which I did not run into. The aspects of it that I enjoyed...I thoroughly enjoyed. They were almost enough to push me to keep it. However, in the end, I figured my money would perhaps be better spent on the ev-do i730.

My problem with the entire 650 episode is that VZW tests phones into the ground. With that said, blaming the OS, or independent (and most prominent) 3rd party apps, or anything else for that matter, doesn't fly at all that well with me. One would think one or a few of the most prominent programs used on it would be associated with the testing of said device. This reasoning alone makes it hard for me to just blame the OS. If the OS is so unstable, then VZW should have known that. As someone pointed out, it's not a particularly cheap device, unless compared to more feature-rich contemporaries like the i730 coming soon, which will carry a price tag in the neighborhood of $500-$700+ range. That is an even more expensive device, even though from the looks and talk about it, is probably worth it. My point is that when the monetary values are incrimentally increased for these devices, and problems as big as those being discussed arise, don't necessarily bash those that sound off after spending such money for the device and are experiencing what is seems like a lot are going through. I am sure that anyone who spent the money on this device, actually was hoping it would be a great piece of technology. The demands of the consumer in this case are fairly correlational to the inflational monetary demands of the manufacturer/provider that pushes the devices on the market. In short, the more expensive the device, the more stable I expect it to be if I am to spend 'X' dollars on it. That is not too unreasonable IMHO.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brok423
    My problem with the entire 650 episode is that VZW tests phones into the ground. With that said, blaming the OS, or independent (and most prominent) 3rd party apps, or anything else for that matter, doesn't fly at all that well with me. One would think one or a few of the most prominent programs used on it would be associated with the testing of said device.
    See, that's where you're completely wrong. Why on earth would Verizon test with 3rd party apps installed? They will test the version they ship, and that's it. All of the crap you add to it is your problem, especially with all of the soft and hard resets. If you get on the horn with their tech support, I can pretty much guarantee that will be their answer as well. There is no reason for them to test 3rd party apps...that's the development houses job. They will make sure the shipping version of the phone, along with the OS, is stable and functional, which it is. As soon as you start adding and subtracting programs, you're out of their jurisdiction...they will have you hard reset and be on your way.

Device(s)
    RIM 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    See, that's where you're completely wrong. Why on earth would Verizon test with 3rd party apps installed? They will test the version they ship, and that's it. All of the crap you add to it is your problem, especially with all of the soft and hard resets. If you get on the horn with their tech support, I can pretty much guarantee that will be their answer as well. There is no reason for them to test 3rd party apps...that's the development houses job. They will make sure the shipping version of the phone, along with the OS, is stable and functional, which it is. As soon as you start adding and subtracting programs, you're out of their jurisdiction...they will have you hard reset and be on your way.
    I just want to add that a call to VZW re: problems with this phone is a hoot. I had a great rep on the line who more than went the distance. She kept getting bounced back and forth between VZW and Palm - neither of which wanted to deal with the problem (I was on hold for over 30 minutes with the rep coming back periodically to tell me what was up). VZW will apparantly only deal with wireless sync, while palm (on their phone system) keeps telling you to call VZW about issues. Once I got someone on the phone from palm they pretty much had nothing to offer. Cant wait to see how MSFT & VZW work the i730 out...

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I understand your point, and I know that you are technically correct. I am still not happy about it is all. If a device costs what these are starting to cost, then the demand for increased stability within the OS is more than warranted. That is all I am saying. (note: even though I post about the high pricing of pda-phones, I still buy them without hesitation )

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm off-base here, but I thought part of owning one of these devices was dealing with issues here and there. I mean, smartphones as a whole have not been around very long, and with all of the intergration technology out there you are going to have some issues. my treo has been quite stable, my problem has been reception in my area. It seems like a radio problem with my particular device, so Verizon is going to replace it. I think you should do some research on any software you install on your pda or you home pc for that matter. As someone who really doesn't NEED a PDA phone, I just enjoy seeing what you can do with the hardware. (movies, music, etc.) I think the biggest reason people don't get along with this device is the fact that they don't take the time to see how the system operates. I don't mean everyone of course, but you can tell just by some of the questions that come up here on HoFo that some people really haven't spent enough time with the operating system itself to get much out of it. Just my 2 cents...

"If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me"
    - Jimmy Buffett

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3