Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How To Guide: BlackBerry Push Email on P910x

Device(s)
    S.E. P800 | S.E. P900 | S.E. P910i |S.E. P990i | S700i (Black)|S.E. Xperia X1i
    Carrier(s)
    HBH-10 | HBH-15 | HBH-30 | HBH-35 | HBH-60 | HBH-65 | HBH-200 | HBH-600 | HBH-660
    Feedback Score

How To Guide: BlackBerry Push Email on P910x

This is an ‘unofficial’ reference guide to provision your p910x handset to work with BlackBerry push email service. There are some prerequisites that must be met.

Requirements:

Overview:

This guide is ‘unofficial’ primarily because the SE BB Connect software has not been released globally. The only official release to-date is in Asia as confirmed in a press release (available @ blackberry.com). That said, this guide should help you get your handset setup to work with the latest BB connect software in the States and Europe.

What this guide will allow you to do is configure your P910x for BB Instant Email and BlackBerry (corporate) Solution.

Note:
    • “Instant Email” will allow you to have your POP3 (i.e. Yahoo, GMail, ect..) emails pushed directly to your handset.
    • ”BlackBerry Solution” will allow you to have your corporate email pushed directly to your handset, allow remote lookup of addresses/phone #s, and synchronize your calendar.

Warning! Due to this software being an ‘unofficial’ release neither your service provider nor RIM will be held responsible for support. All support requests will be met at the discretion of the customer support representative for your service provider or RIM. They have the right to refuse support. That being said, this board may be your safe haven for technical advice or first hand experience.

BB “Instant Email” Setup

Note:
    • In order to establish a connection to the BlackBerry service your account must not only be provisioned correctly, but your account must be pointing to the correct APN. In this instance the correct APN is “blackberry.net”.

This can be verified by simply doing the following:

“Control Panel” -> “Internet accounts” -> select “BES BlackBerry.net” then choose “edit” -> “advanced” then view the name under “address”. It must be displayed as “blackberry.net”. If not change it to that. I have noticed that the initial install may create an alternate address.

In order to utilize other GPRS dependent services (i.e. IM, Internet Browser, etc..) you must pause the BlackBerry service and select the appropriate internet account to connect to (i.e. T-Zones, etc..). The BlackBerry service should resume automatically if you close down the program that was utilizing the alternate internet account.

Install the SE BB Client software (.sis file) on the handset. Also install the SE BB Desktop software (optional).

1st Choose: “Provision” then select “Instant Email”
    2nd Choose: “Register Now”

Once it is installed you should see an icon displayed in the Task bar. What you may have noticed as well is that a "Web Client (Messaging)" was created in your Service Books tab (view SE BB Client software settings profile).

Visit the BB Web Client page and create a profile. It will require your PIN # and IMEI both of which are accessible through the SE BB client software settings located in your phone. Integrate (Manually Add) your existing POP3 email accounts to the BB Web Client.

You should receive an activation notification email from the BB Web Client service which in turn would have created a "Web Client" email account under the "Messages" tab in your phone.

BB Blackberry Solution Setup

Note:
    • In order to establish a connection to the BlackBerry service your account must not only be provisioned correctly, but your account must be pointing to the correct APN. In this instance the correct APN is “blackberry.net”.

This can be verified by simply doing the following:

“Control Panel” -> “Internet accounts” -> select “BES BlackBerry.net” then choose “edit” -> “advanced” then view the name under “address”. It must be displayed as “blackberry.net”. If not change it to that. I have noticed that the initial install may create an alternate address.

In order to utilize other GPRS dependent services (i.e. IM, Internet Browser, etc..) you must pause the BlackBerry service and select the appropriate internet account to connect to (i.e. T-Zones, etc..). The BlackBerry service should resume automatically if you close down the program that was utilizing the alternate internet account.

Install the SE BB Client software (.sis file) on the handset. Also install the SE BB Desktop software.

Note:
    • Upon installing the desktop software you must choose the appropriate email client available through your corporate account (i.e. Outlook Exchange server or Domino Lotus Notes).

1st Choose: “Provision” then select “Blackberry Solution”

Note:
    • Connect your P910x to the cradle then launch the BB Configuration software.

2nd Choose: “Register Now”

You should notice your pin # (8 digits) displayed in the “Pin” box.

Select: “Redirect incoming messages to your handset”
    Click: “Connect” box to sync message books to your handset.

Note:
    • The “Connect” box will only be selectable if your handset is docked.

You should receive an activation notification email from the BB service which in turn would have created a "BlackBerry" email account under the "Messages" tab in your phone.

BlackBerry Service Connection Verification

• Caution: The settings profile should display the service status. To verify whether the handset has made a connection to the blackberry service, refer to the following illustrations:

General BlackBerry Functionality

If your account has been provisioned for the BlackBerry Solution you will also be able to utilize the BlackBerry Web Client without having to toggle between accounts. The BlackBerry service should allow you to share messages by communicating through email accounts or between PIN numbers. The latter is a functionality that is exclusive to the BlackBerry service and is synonymous to that of an “IM” service for BlackBerry account holders only.

The BB connect software allows one to receive attachments and browse them through its proprietary viewer. The file size limitation is infinite. However, being that messages are pushed to the handset and not downloaded the attachments are displayed in a structured tree format. The user has the flexibility to expand/collapse the attachment by simply clicking on the tree [+]/[-] icons. This in turn sends a request to the server to push additional data that may be associated with the attachment to the handset. The response time is fairly quick, however, a lag may occur if the attachment is extremely large or the server is bogged down. The following illustrations display a test message with multiple attachments sent to a BES account;

The BB connect software (BlackBerry Solution) also allows one to look up addresses on the corporate server and synchronize calendars.

P910x Latest Firmware:

SE BB Connect Icon:

This guide is intended to be used as an informal reference guide for board members. There is a more comprehensive guide available with the download package, however, this guide offers a simplified synopsis of the general setup processes. If anyone has experience and/or useful information regarding BlackBerry service + P910x please share it with us.

Note: Please "Sticky" this guide as a reference post. PM me with further questions/concerns or post it in this thread.
    Last edited by BigFeat; 06-04-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    Breathe iT__Smell iT__Taste iT__Feel iT

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Device(s)
    RIM BlackBerry 7100g
    Carrier(s)
    CSL (Hong Kong)
    Feedback Score
    Can this post become a sticky please?

I only wish I had found this last week before I tried installing the software on my P910i

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    HBH-10 | HBH-15 | HBH-30 | HBH-35 | HBH-60 | HBH-65 | HBH-200 | HBH-600 | HBH-660
    Feedback Score
    As a note, the desktop software installation process is not imperative for those that only want to activate “Instant Email”. The desktop software doesn’t interface with the Web Client, therefore, all setup is done on the handset and the Web Client website. This might be important information for MAC users to know.

Device(s)
    Imate PDA2k
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Mac

Bigfeat

thanks for the post

Device(s)
    at&t Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone gotten Blackberry Connect on P910x working on Cingular in the USA?

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P990i
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Thanks BigFeat, I've now got Blackberry Web Client working on my vanilla P910i with Vodafone UK.
    I already had a blackberry.net APN enabled on the account, and after changing the APN setting to blackberry.net in the Internet Account control panel menu, they are chatting happily.
    artesea - P990i Generic World 1 | Organizer: R4B03

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Stuck.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P910a
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Cingular

Please someone let the Cingular users know whether this works for Cingular. I had tried a couple of months ago by downloading the web client from a T-Mobile website and provisioned blackberry on my cingular account, but failed to get the service to work while others on T-mobile in the US had success. Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6101
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Pleas don't bother calling into your service provider. Since it is a third party application they won't help support it. They can put the BB service on your account. But the reset of the setup is up to you.

Ranger

Device(s)
    Imate PDA2k
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

little help

Ok i installed the software, made the change to the internet accout, selected instant email, requested register now, but no service book or confirmation that it has registered,

how long does it take once you make the change with t-mobile and add the new service to the account?

thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    PIN #'s and IMEI #'s need to be registered with the Webclient in order for it to accept your handset registration. That's usually done after adding a BES package to your account.

Feedback Score

Thanks & Question

Many thanks for these excellent instructions. I am now operational but find that when I delete emails either on the P910 or Exchange (via Outlook), the two are not synchronized. Anyone know how to force the two to show the same (I have tried reconcile and no luck).

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p910newbie
    Many thanks for these excellent instructions. I am now operational but find that when I delete emails either on the P910 or Exchange (via Outlook), the two are not synchronized. Anyone know how to force the two to show the same (I have tried reconcile and no luck).

Thanks
    I’m guessing this is Corporate since you referenced the Exchange server. The local deletions should be updated remotely on the server as well. So this might be an isolated incident not related to the BB connect software, but to the server settings. That said, could you elaborate on what you’re connected to and how it normally functions?

Feedback Score
    Yes, it is Corporate. I am connected to the Exchange server via Outlook and via the Corporate BB ES.

I eventually realized that local deletes on the P910 do make it across, takes quite a few minutes, and Outlook no longer shows the message.

Moving/Deleting messages via Outlook do not get synchronized back to the P910.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p910newbie
    Yes, it is Corporate. I am connected to the Exchange server via Outlook and via the Corporate BB ES.

I eventually realized that local deletes on the P910 do make it across, takes quite a few minutes, and Outlook no longer shows the message.

Moving/Deleting messages via Outlook do not get synchronized back to the P910.

Thanks
    Hmm.. I know any modifications made to emails (i.e. Moving/Deleting) through Notes (Domino) is reflected on the P910 handset. As a matter of fact it appears to be almost instant without my having to reconcile. I can’t atest the same is true for Exchange, but I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t. That said, I wonder if it has anything to do with the version of Exchange your IT guys are running or how they have it configured.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast