Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Treo 650 question/opinions

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    351
    Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mentalcase
    I have installed ringo and two games. Seems like a modest amount to me. You really think the phone is locking up because of three pieces of software?
    Might not be the number of programs but the software itself. Maybe the software conflicts with palm operating software.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    105
    Device(s)
    RIM 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    MentalCase,

    I would check the site help section of the programs you loaded - if they have them. Documents-To-Go was causing a soft-reset every time I tried to open a DTGo file.

    The cause, it turns out, was a corupt file for which DTGo had a step-by-step fix involving a hard reset. Again, I cant completely blame plam for a software issue - thats one of the problems with open-source systems.

    It will be really interesting to see what people have to say about the i730 when it hits the stores.

    Hope you resolve....
    I am mobile, therefore I am....

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    940
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&Tingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jrapp
    Might not be the number of programs but the software itself. Maybe the software conflicts with palm operating software.
    I agree. I have about 13 non-included software titles on my phone: BackupMan, Express, mLights, mSafe, Obfuscate, pTunes, Verichat, Bang! (game), Bejeweled2, Filez, PalmVNC, pssh, and Zap!2016. I reset MAYBE once a week.

    A few of my observations: If you have Butler installed (another 3rd party app) is known to be unstable, I've also noticed that Causerie and Verichat (the two major IM softwares) as well as the official AIM software are all unstable under the 650. I have found the official AIM software to be the most unstable, and Verichat to be the most stable (enough that it only resets about once every week or so)

    Also: One MAJOR thing that has been reported at treocentral.com: If you had any other palm device, and upgraded to the Treo 650: Do not just sync your current palm desktop profile to the 650. Doing so will cause MAJOR amounts of instability (i.e. resets more than once every few hours). Make sure you start with a FRESH palm profile and install your settings and programs in to the new profile instead of using an old profile.

    Also: I'd suggest staying away from installing Documents To Go, which is included on the CD for the Treo, but not pre-installed. The software is natorious for being unstable.

    People need to realize: The Treo 650 is a VERY complicated piece of COMPUTER equipment, that just so happens to have a cell phone built in. But it is first and foremost a COMPUTER. If you go out and install every program you can come across on your computer, eventually you are going to get the dreaded BSOD (blue screen of death). Same thing applies for the Palm: Your phone is under the mercy of every software you install. For each software you install on your palm, you need to evaluate carefully whether you are going to truely need it. If you install it, you should make sure you push the program hard at first and try it out before going much further, to make sure that it's not programmed poorly. A poorly programmed piece of software can very easily make life miserable.

    My suggestion would be: Hard reset your treo and immediately do a HotSync, when it asks tell it to create a new hotsync profile (with new hotsync ID). Then go through each of your programs, one-by-one and install them ONE AT A TIME. After the program is installed, use-and-abuse the program as hard as you can for a few minutes...make sure that it's stable. If you come across a hard reset, you can go to the phone app and dial #*#377 (SEND) and it will tell you which program caused the reset...however, this isn't always 100% accurate, as certain programs can send bad commands to other programs that may be causing them to crash...But it will give you something. Eventually you will have a list of programs that work well on the Treo, and others that don't. Install the ones that work

    As I've said before, all the programs I've installed above are pretty stable, and work well with eachother.

    One other note: DEFINATELY INSTALL AND USE A BACKUP SOFTWARE PROGRAM (like backupman) AND DO DAILY AUTOMATED BACKUPS TO AN SD CARD. If your Treo ever gets in to a reset loop (constantly reseting) you will need to do a hard reset (wipe the memory) in order to fix it. If you aren't at your computer to do a hotsync and get everything back, then you will be with a factory default treo (with no contacts, calendar, etc.) which is pretty useless, except as a phone. Installing backup man onto the phone and a copy on to the SD card will let you restore your palm back to the last backup so you have your calendar, contacts, programs, etc. It is a definate must...However, if you are very careful and sparingly install programs, then you should only have to do it very rarely...if ever.
    Last edited by mrmaxmouse; 06-08-2005 at 09:09 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    105
    Device(s)
    RIM 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    mrmaxmouse,

    If you dont use Docs to Go, what do you use for longer documents. I have found Doc To Go to be very usefull for writing memos and starting documets when traveling or waiting in an office etc. Not having this option would make the Treo far less useful to me.

    Thoughts?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    176
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was having reboot problems when responding to text messages. It turned out Ringo Pro was causing the conflict. After removong the application, all is back to normal.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    940
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&Tingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by esteroapd
    mrmaxmouse,

    If you dont use Docs to Go, what do you use for longer documents. I have found Doc To Go to be very usefull for writing memos and starting documets when traveling or waiting in an office etc. Not having this option would make the Treo far less useful to me.

    Thoughts?
    I am not really sure. I can't say from any significant personal experience that Docs to go is unstable, it's just what i've heard around. I dont really use my Treo for word or excel...however, im sure if you ask around on the discussion boards at http://www.treocentral.com that those guys over there should definately be able to point you in the right direction. However, given the sheer number of applications for the Treo, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a suitable alternative.

    In the very least, you could use memo pad...then when you sync the memos go in to the memos section in outlook (or palm desktop...but since you are a business user, I am assuming outlook). Then you can just copy-and-paste the memo into word, and format accordingly...I do realize that word-to-go makes this a LOT easier...

    Again...it may not be docs-to-go thats causing problems for you. I never really had the need to use it, so when I installed it, I just played around to see what it could do, then deleted it. (It did crash on me once while playing around with it) I pretty much use my treo as a mobile information and communications machine (Phone, Web, Email, IM) and also a truely portable internet radio player
    Last edited by mrmaxmouse; 06-08-2005 at 01:10 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    105
    Device(s)
    RIM 8830
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmaxmouse
    I am not really sure. I can't say from any significant personal experience that Docs to go is unstable, it's just what i've heard around. I dont really use my Treo for word or excel...however, im sure if you ask around on the discussion boards at http://www.treocentral.com that those guys over there should definately be able to point you in the right direction. However, given the sheer number of applications for the Treo, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a suitable alternative.

    In the very least, you could use memo pad...then when you sync the memos go in to the memos section in outlook (or palm desktop...but since you are a business user, I am assuming outlook). Then you can just copy-and-paste the memo into word, and format accordingly...I do realize that word-to-go makes this a LOT easier...

    Again...it may not be docs-to-go thats causing problems for you. I never really had the need to use it, so when I installed it, I just played around to see what it could do, then deleted it. (It did crash on me once while playing around with it) I pretty much use my treo as a mobile information and communications machine (Phone, Web, Email, IM) and also a truely portable internet radio player

    Turns out Doc to Go was the reason for my only hard restart required. Something to do with old vs. of palm and the new vs. of DTG. I followed the instructions, and so far I have been stable. I am going to see how long this lasts. In the mean time, I think an investment in a backupman may be in order.....

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    By da beach man
    Posts
    884
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well i did a hard reset and the voice mail reset problem stopped. Im not going to load the other programs one by one and see if any reset. If the phone keep reseting i may just return it and wait for a new phone to be released.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks