Thread: switching from verizon during contract?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

switching from verizon during contract?

i'm currently a verizon customer. in my new apartment i don't have the greatest service and i know cingular has much better service. also, i'm getting a new car with bluetooth built-in and want a phone with bluetooth.

the problem is i have 1 year and 9 months left on my verizon contract. i feel like an idiot signing a 2-year contract only a few months ago. anyways, if i bite the bullet and switch to cingular and break my verizon contract, will i have any issues with number portability? i understand i'll have to pay verizon a hefty fee. however keeping my current # is extremely important, so if i can't port the # over while breaking my contract, i'll just stay with verizon.

Device(s)
    The SYNC
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Nokia6230/2.0 (04.43) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

You can go ahead and port to Cingular and Verizon will send you a bill for your $175 per line Early Termination Fee.

Device(s)
    Samsung SYNC A707
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you're really willing to break your VZW contract, then all you have to do is setup service with Cingular like usual and have your number ported as usual. Everything should go like usual, when you port the number VZW will automatically cancel your account and send you a final bill with the ETF.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    thanks, thats what i needed to know.

Feedback Score
    you can also sell your verizon phone on ebay once you've closed and paid off your verizon account just to make some of the early termination fee back.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m Sprint
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint -Sero
    Feedback Score
    even crappy phones will get you 100 bucks so your only losing 75 bucks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1120
    If you're really willing to break your VZW contract, then all you have to do is setup service with Cingular like usual and have your number ported as usual. Everything should go like usual, when you port the number VZW will automatically cancel your account and send you a final bill with the ETF.
    I did the exact same thing with no problem what so ever. Now when it came to cingular, they lost my ported number from verizon but that was only their fault and had nothing to do with Verizon. As a matter of fact, I believe Verizon has the best porting dept. from all the carriers...whether you're comming or going from Verizon. The only thing you have to worry about is giving up some dough to pay your ETF. Hopefully you can dump your cdma phone on ebay and recover some cash that way.