Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: NA MOU and Treo 650?

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheKn0w
    While I still think the option you were given was not a valid option, ultimately what the rep did is between him and his management team.
    Until you are forced off of your current set-up, roll with it.
    I certainly won't be hunting you down.

Taken directly from verizonwireless.com for the Mobile Office Kit for the Samsung a670:

Mobile Office Kit
    $39.99

# Everything you need to get your laptop onto Verizon Wireless' NationalAccess network, for wireless access to your business network without a separate ISP account.

Mobile Office Kit includes:
    Mobile Office Configuration CD, USB Driver CD, USB Connector Cable, and Quick Start Guide.

Mobile Office Configuration CD includes:
    # Smith Micro's QuickLink Mobiletm software with features to make mobile computing more convenient.

The one for the Motorola V710 does not state NationalAccess but I know it was certainly boasted by any reps I or associates have spoken to when selling the Data Kit. It does state to connect your computer to the internet though.

I guess all the people behind the creation of the website are going to have some issues with their management team.

The bottom line here is it was never a requirement to have a data plan. It was an option not to use your minutes. It has always been and should remain an option to have a dedicated data plan or not. Why should using Mobile Web, Get it Now, or Pix messaging be any different than any other data usage? It is the same channels being used. We are paying for our minutes.

If Verizon did not use our minutes for data for those services, then your argument would hold some water. We can check our email and browse the web via Mobile Web and/or Get it Now. I could accept requiring a Mobile Web plan to use the phone to connect to the internet, but not a data plan at $45/month. Also before you start the wml vs. html issue, if we browse html pages, we would in turn be downloading more data which translates into more minutes. We are paying for our usage regardless.
    Last edited by StrataG; 05-26-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    When you think everyone else is better than you just keep one thing in mind, you were once the fastest sperm in the bunch.

"You see things and ask why? But I dream of things that Never Were and ask, why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open. " -Lord Thomas Dewar

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just to make things clear, I am playing devil's advocate here. I plan on purchasing an i730 and plan and getting the unlimited data plan. I am getting it though because I want unlimited data as I will be using it quite frequently to monitor a few business email accounts as well as servers. I also receive a 20% discount so it makes the plan slightly more reasonable. If I didn't have the discount I probably still would get the data plan though. My point was and still is, that Verizon sold equipment and service based on ideas contrary to Intheknow's.

The fact that they are forcing people who are buying more feature rich phones to add an additional service is not right. The customer should be the one who decides as it appeared to be the policy. They did not "require" it on phones that did or could do the majority of what the pda phones can.

I have thought of a fair trade-off but Verizon would never go for it. If they subsidize phones due to service revenue, they should offer additional discounts on these phones as a result of additional service needed. As far as I can tell from the retail/promo pricing, they don't subsidize these phones any more than non-pda phones. If they offered greater discounts for those who got unlimited data plans, I think it would be easier for many to swallow. They would be making back much more than they lost and the customers would be happier. I guess I could suggest things all day long though, but the bottom line is Verizon will continue with it's greed and continue to try to raise their rpc. Bad for the customers but good for investors, until enough customers get tired of Verizon's policies.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Exclamation My 2 Cents

I have been closely following these threads about the Treo Issue.. I just picked mine up today, and clearly VZW reps just havent been educated enough. My Treo came as a warranty swap for my faulty v710's (9 of them)
    and when I got the treo, I was on my way out the door b4 someone told me that I was going to need a data plan(even though I knew this going in).. And the same rep told me that he was taking of text messaging that I was already paying for because its included in the unlimited data for $45.. So far I cant prove that.

But right on verizon's website, less than 5 min ago.. I checked the options for the so called supported "features" that the phone CAN have... here is the definition they give for National Access and INTERNET READY

NationalAccess
    NationalAccess is Verizon Wireless' national wireless Internet service, which enables users to access the Internet, email, attachments, and business applications with a laptop at average speeds of 60-80 kbps and bursts up to 144 kbps. You may experience slower data speeds. Choose a Mobile Office Kit for your NationalAccess data-capable phone. Or choose a Type II modem card and increase your mobility when using a PDA or laptop.

and

Internet Ready
    Mobile Web by Verizon Wireless with MSN® allows you to read and send e-mails, exchange instant messages and view your favorite web content on your wireless phone. Check your e-mail, trade stocks online, compare prices while shopping, access flight information, get movie listings and find directions to the theater. Mobile Web even provides access to a personalized Calendar and Address Book. The service is offered for an additional monthly access charge, plus airtime and other applicable charges.

BOTH of these are under the supported feature.. I am not trying to cause trouble, or proclaim being right or wrong... but this clearly says the Treo650 is capable of a NATIONAL ACCESS CONNECTION.. or just a regular MOBILE WEB CONNECTION..where as the regular "SLOW" connection would incurr an additional montly charge.. i.e. the $5 mobile web option.. plus air time.. where i you had a National Access Unlimited plan.. those billing terms would not apply..

So even tho they SAY it is not official... it is advertised right in front of our faces.. maybe not in Black and White in our way.. but it surely isnt Labeled in Verizon's Favor either............

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had received my T650 from P1 earlier this week. I finally got around to calling to VZW's PDA Tech Support to see for myself what's up with Data plans.

I activated the T650 off VZW's website, & all was well. I wasn't prompted to add a data plan of any type.

When I spoke w/ the T/S dept, I asked him if it was possible to disable data altogether, as that was not at all of interest to me. The guy was looking up to see if codes existed to disable the Data altogether. The guy couldn't locate how to do that, so then he told me that I need some sorta data plan.

Now I'm not about to plunk down $45/month on some dataplan I have zero intentions of using, so I opted for the pay-as-you-go-plan. I asked what the probability was in regards to the T650 connecting up on its own, w/out any interaction from me. The guy said that it is highly unlikely as if it tried to connect, you have to confirm on the T650 that you want to connect.

While the guy was finalizing the codes for my account, I asked out of curiousity what I was defaulted too when I activated the T650 online. HE said I was automatically placed onto the MOU plan. His words not mine. I was like, so MOU is still a valid option for the T650??? He said that is the default, if you had it on your account before the T650- which I did.

He went on to say that the people who stay on MOU w/ the T650, will be the most likely to run into serious data usage bills!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8703e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    While the guy was finalizing the codes for my account, I asked out of curiousity what I was defaulted too when I activated the T650 online. HE said I was automatically placed onto the MOU plan. His words not mine. I was like, so MOU is still a valid option for the T650??? He said that is the default, if you had it on your account before the T650- which I did.
    What he told you was not what happened to me when I activated a replacement Treo 600 online. After the online activation and at the next billing cycle, I saw that I was charged around $60 more on my bill. I called VZ and the CSR there told me that charge was for the 4MB of data that I had used. Then she told me I was automatically enrolled in the pay-as-you-go plan (.015 cents for every 1KB of data used) when I activated my 600 online.

To make a long story short, there was much arguments before I had to verbally acknowledge with VZ that it was my choice to stay at MOU and that I was responsible for any minutes overage that was incurred due to that. They noted that in my files and I also requested they make an additional note that it is also my choice, on any future new data capable phone I get, is to always stay at MOU. They noted it. They then reluctantly agreed to put me back at MOU and also credited me the $60.

Device(s)
    Joined HoFo: April 2002
    Feedback Score
    Just as a point of historical reference, we are approaching the 2 year anniversary of the discussions about MOU.

The first thread started on June 17 2003:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=154306&page=1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy5

Free Express Network, costs Airtime only!

Yes, that's the truth!!! If you call 1-800-308-DATA, and talk with the tech's there . . .
    That thread was still was going on at 1000 posts on January 6 2004:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=30

Quote Originally Posted by Frail
    And on a side note, this thread is now closed. With over a 1,000 posts, I believe every question has been asked and answered many times over. It will remain here as a reference.
    Many threads and many months later, the discussions continue . . .

Will Verizon ever make their position clear on MOU?

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8703e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It would be fine by me if we continue to have thousands of posts more about MOU. Because the more I think about it, the more I realize that, at this point, a muggy position by VZ on this issue is a better position for those of us who still have MOU

Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Is-Good
    Just as a point of historical reference, we are approaching the 2 year anniversary of the discussions about MOU.

The first thread started on June 17 2003:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=154306&page=1

That thread was still was going on at 1000 posts on January 6 2004:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=30

Many threads and many months later, the discussions continue . . .

Will Verizon ever make their position clear on MOU?
    I have requested a tread about rates including MOU be made sticky. But noooooo lets just keep all the disjoined threads going!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4