Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with New MPx Rom?

Device(s)
    i-mate sp5
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cybernut
    Anyone know what is the EngineeringMode.exe, Poutlook.exe, Run.exe, SC.exe and TimeWizard.exe do? It is always on the startup program - taking up memory running on the background. Which one can be disabled?
    In my experience all of these can be removed except run.exe which drives the wireless icon and the external display.

Device(s)
    MPx 850mhz, 900mhz, slim & ext batt.
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

My 850mhz MPX ROM Compromise

After weeks of painful testing, this recipie seems to work great for me.

Extract both the Feb and March roms into different folders.

Copy chain.bin, kernel.bin, misc.bin and misc2.bin from the OS subfolder in the March rom into the OS of Feb rom (overwriting feb files). Flash MPX using this Feb folder but use GSM C19. The file xipkernel.bin in the March rom is the one that creates the reset, crash, sleep problem, so do not copy it.

This configuration has worked solid for me for days and has most of the March benefits.

--Aswad

Feedback Score
    Well my soft reset button has had it... I guess that happens when used 20+ times per day for 2 weeks...

On another similar note I'm sure to attempt the upgrade just mentioned since anything would be better than the continual crashing of my phone... I'll advise what I think of aswad suggested corrections after a few days...

If anyone has a tanked MPX that they would like to part with please advise as I'll pay a reasonable price....
    iPhone - Turbo Sim Unlocked
    Treo 650 - Unlocked
    HTC S620 - Unlocked
    HTC Tytn - Unlocked
    MPX 300 - Unlocked
    SPH i700 - Telus

Device(s)
    Motorola MPx 850mhz/Ext. Battery
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok guys, over two days of use with about 5 hours of charging and extensive use and also idle time and ZERO crashes. The MPx is working flawlessly and EVERYTHING works thus far. The battery life is going on two full days now and has 38% left for the extended battery.

I highly suggest everyone who has the extended battery go ahead and install the March ROM and tap the PIE cache to Resident Flash setting in Freemem and then do a full backup to your SD card. Then install feb.8 ROM and do a FULL RESTORE and it merges the two ROMS and seems to make a Hybrid that works great. Good luck.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wired&connected
    In my experience all of these can be removed except run.exe which drives the wireless icon and the external display.
    My clock would slow down daily when I deleted all of the listed startup files above. This time I erased all but RUN.exe, mb.ink, and Timewizard and it has worked well with not apparent slow down factor or battery run down probs.

Device(s)
    Cingular 8125
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

FreeMemory???

Quote Originally Posted by joey123
    Ok guys, over two days of use with about 5 hours of charging and extensive use and also idle time and ZERO crashes. The MPx is working flawlessly and EVERYTHING works thus far. The battery life is going on two full days now and has 38% left for the extended battery.

I highly suggest everyone who has the extended battery go ahead and install the March ROM and tap the PIE cache to Resident Flash setting in Freemem and then do a full backup to your SD card. Then install feb.8 ROM and do a FULL RESTORE and it merges the two ROMS and seems to make a Hybrid that works great. Good luck.
    I have done all of the above as you have suggested and I have had great results also...ZERO crashes...The only difference between you and I is that the after I reinstall the Feb 8 ROM I don't have the PIE cache options like in the March ROM...here is what I did...

1) Installed March ROM
    2) I went into the FreeMemory program and checked the PIE cache to Resident Flash...it reset itself like its suppose to...
    2) I did a FULL BACK UP to the SD using the DataBackup program that comes with the MPx...
    3) I installed the Feb 8 ROM along with the GSM module c18
    4) I did a FULL RESTORE from the SD card...

Now the word completion option works great, but I'm not so sure about the PIE cache to Resident Flash Memory...I noticed that he folders "Cookies, History and Temporary Internet Files" are in fact in the Resident Flash, but I don't think it is using the folder...

I guess my question is...am I suppose to have a PIE Tab in the FreeMem application after the FULL RESTORE from the SD card...

Even as it is...No crashes and WORD COMPLETION are two great features...

-OnImpulse-

Device(s)
    Motorola MPx 300
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile &
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Bad news......

OK guys, i think i may be leaving this group. The reason for this is because no matter what I can't get my bluetooth to work. Ever since I bought this pre-prod model second hand the bluetooth has never worked. I have tried loading all three ROMs but it still doesn't work. The guy i bought it from has no idea why its not working and said he never tested it since he also bought it from somebody. I don't think I should keep it. Its a good phone and if I sell this I may buy a brand new one instead, or i may go back to sony p910 or nokia 9300. I want some suggestions from you guys as to what I should do. Everything else works on the phone(I think because I haven't used the wifi or infared yet since I have had no reason to). What should I do??? any diagrams..... anyone knows anything about the circuit board??? anyone know how to edit the registry to change bluetooth info????anything???if not my phone may be up for grabs...............

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OnImpulse
    I have done all of the above as you have suggested and I have had great results also...ZERO crashes...The only difference between you and I is that the after I reinstall the Feb 8 ROM I don't have the PIE cache options like in the March ROM...here is what I did...

1) Installed March ROM
    2) I went into the FreeMemory program and checked the PIE cache to Resident Flash...it reset itself like its suppose to...
    2) I did a FULL BACK UP to the SD using the DataBackup program that comes with the MPx...
    3) I installed the Feb 8 ROM along with the GSM module c18
    4) I did a FULL RESTORE from the SD card...

Now the word completion option works great, but I'm not so sure about the PIE cache to Resident Flash Memory...I noticed that he folders "Cookies, History and Temporary Internet Files" are in fact in the Resident Flash, but I don't think it is using the folder...

I guess my question is...am I suppose to have a PIE Tab in the FreeMem application after the FULL RESTORE from the SD card...

Even as it is...No crashes and WORD COMPLETION are two great features...

-OnImpulse-
    I don't have the PIE Tab on my Freemem but all the the cache and temp files do go to Resident Flash. If you open the weird named folders in the temp files in Resident Flash you will see where all the various images that were downloaded from a website are and etc. If you have a BT headset, please try to pair it to the MPx and see if it works. I am getting really nervous cause I got the 5g now and am waiting for it to charge.

Device(s)
    Motorola MPx200
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramo25
    OK guys, i think i may be leaving this group. The reason for this is because no matter what I can't get my bluetooth to work. Ever since I bought this pre-prod model second hand the bluetooth has never worked. I have tried loading all three ROMs but it still doesn't work. The guy i bought it from has no idea why its not working and said he never tested it since he also bought it from somebody. I don't think I should keep it. Its a good phone and if I sell this I may buy a brand new one instead, or i may go back to sony p910 or nokia 9300. I want some suggestions from you guys as to what I should do. Everything else works on the phone(I think because I haven't used the wifi or infared yet since I have had no reason to). What should I do??? any diagrams..... anyone knows anything about the circuit board??? anyone know how to edit the registry to change bluetooth info????anything???if not my phone may be up for grabs...............
    1st things 1st and 4give me if I'm suggesting the obvious. Have you made sure that bluetooth is turned on and that you've actually paired yur phone with the headset?
    Friends Are Just Enemies That Don't Have The Guts To Kill You!

Device(s)
    i-mate sp5
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    My clock would slow down daily when I deleted all of the listed startup files above. This time I erased all but RUN.exe, mb.ink, and Timewizard and it has worked well with not apparent slow down factor or battery run down probs.
    I guess I never noticed that as I am Active Syncing with Exchange over the air all day which also sync's the time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I don't have the PIE Tab on my Freemem but all the the cache and temp files do go to Resident Flash. If you open the weird named folders in the temp files in Resident Flash you will see where all the various images that were downloaded from a website are and etc. If you have a BT headset, please try to pair it to the MPx and see if it works. I am getting really nervous cause I got the 5g now and am waiting for it to charge.
    I will try this. BTW, I have a standard and an extended battery and March rom crashes with both of them.

Did you try the C19 GSM ?

Any other things to look out for ?

Thanks,

--Aswad

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aswad
    I will try this. BTW, I have a standard and an extended battery and March rom crashes with both of them.

Did you try the C19 GSM ?

Any other things to look out for ?

Thanks,

--Aswad
    I have charged the 5g BT headset and it paired with no probs. Voice Command works through the headset with the MPx also but the Feb 8 Voicesignal is terrible while the March ROM worked a lot better. I am going to try a couple of things and I may also try what you did to make your March Rom work. Good Job on that. So far, my MPx works great except now I would really like a good working Voicesignal.

The 5g is absolutely awesome by the way. If any of you all get a chance to get one, do it cause its worth the money... Aswad, if you hook up a BT headset, try your voicesignal and please let me know how well it performs and comprehends.

Thnks again...

Feedback Score
    allmost 24 hours since the "new" update and my phone hasn't crashed once... Thanks again guys...

Device(s)
    Cingular 8125
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

No Crashes here either...

Well,

I went ahead and did what Joey suggested ("mergening the two ROMs") and so far so good. I've gone 2 days and not a single crash or freeze up. Great job on that Joey. And by the way...you were right...the PIE Cache (from the March ROM) has been moved to the Resident Flash, but the TAB doesn't show up in FreeMemory.

A question or two for aswad, regarding he method of mergening ROMS. Does your MPx say the "not for sale" message at the beginning of your the bootup cycle or is that eliminated by merging the roms? Also in your post you state that the XIPKERNEL Bin file is what is causing the freezing of the machine...so should I just copy all the files from the MARCH OS folder (except for the XIPKERNEL fine) to the FEB OS folder and install it that way or have you tried that? I noticed that you only stated about 4 or 5 different files that should be replaced.

Thanks and keep up the work everyone...

-OnImpulse-
    Last edited by OnImpulse; 05-24-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Very Stable and with March features

Quote Originally Posted by OnImpulse
    Well,

I went ahead and did what Joey suggested ("mergening the two ROMs") and so far so good. I've gone 2 days and not a single crash or freeze up. Great job on that Joey. And by the way...you were right...the PIE Cache (from the March ROM) has been moved to the Resident Flash, but the TAB doesn't show up in FreeMemory.

A question or two for aswad, regarding he method of mergening ROMS. Does your MPx say the "not for sale" message at the beginning of your the bootup cycle or is that eliminated by merging the roms? Also in your post you state that the XIPKERNEL Bin file is what is causing the freezing of the machine...so should I just copy all the files from the MARCH OS folder (except for the XIPKERNEL fine) to the FEB OS folder and install it that way or have you tried that? I noticed that you only stated about 4 or 5 different files that should be replaced.

Thanks and keep up the work everyone...

-OnImpulse-
    My unit still says "not for sale" this message comes from within the xipkernel.bin file ( I have tested this to be the case).
    I believe what you suggest about copying all march files except XIP would work. The reason I chose to use the FEB files is because they all have a later date and appear to be newer than the rest of the MAR files.

In other words, the only NEWER (than FEB ROM) files in the MAR rom were the 5 that I specified and that is why I focused on them.

Without trying Joeys method, these are the benefits I have received

New freemem (with PIE) re-direct
    All front display rings settings, mode etc. survive a reset
    Word completion works as it should
    No lock ups or Sleep problem
    All operations seem zippier than they did with FEB rom

What I do not know is if I have increased memory and battery performance as I never had the MAR rom running long enough without issues to compare.

My next test will be to follow Joeys proceedure and then load my hybrid rom instead of the generic FEB rom. I cannot do this until the weekend as I will be traveling and cannot have an unstable phone.

--Aswad

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast