View Poll Results: Which is the worst mobile phone service in America?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • AT&T

19 7.85%
  • Cingular

45 18.60%
  • Nextel

19 7.85%
  • Sprint PCS

113 46.69%
  • T-Mobile

20 8.26%
  • Verizon

12 4.96%
  • None of the above/some other company

14 5.79%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which is the WORST mobile phone service in America?

Feedback Score

Question Which is the WORST mobile phone service in America?

... of the national mobile phone service providers.
    Last edited by chris1; 11-02-2002 at 09:50 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6800
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (US-GSM), Verizon Wireless (US-CDMA),
    Feedback Score
    that would be Sprint PCS
    Homer: Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get.

Feedback Score

Cool

Originally posted by schark
    that would be Sprint PCS
    Sprint PCS ---> Sprint PieCe of Sh!t

Device(s)
    Samsung GSV, LG Volt, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    i wonder if the peole that voted sprint pcs the worst actually use sprint pcs?

funny thing is that i see more complaints about t-mobile in the provider rant forum.

*note:user "timhorton1998" who posted "hey sprint pcs bye bye bye" is now happily back with sprint pcs.
    My awareness flows through the rivers of existence which pulse with the vibrance of my thoughts.

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Well I certainly used it. You can read my story here.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...410#post500410

Device(s)
    Motorola V600
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most of those issue you mentioned have been fixed within the last month with the new CEO.... But you have your reasons..

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Originally posted by Moleman
    Most of those issue you mentioned have been fixed within the last month with the new CEO.... But you have your reasons..
    Sprint PCS is a pure 1900 MHz network. Thus it will always have poor building penetration. That is why a Sprint PCS phone is practically useless in NYC where I spend 23 hours of my day inside buildings with thick concrete walls.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ImmerStark
    i wonder if the peole that voted sprint pcs the worst actually use sprint pcs?

funny thing is that i see more complaints about t-mobile in the provider rant forum.

*note:user "timhorton1998" who posted "hey sprint pcs bye bye bye" is now happily back with sprint pcs.
    SprintPCS? What's that?

You know i'm just messin' with ya Immer hehe

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    actually in real life there will be no difference in coverage between a carrer that uses 800MHz and one that uses 1900MHz. as long as the network in optimised correctly they will perform the same. the only difference is that the 1900MHz network will need more towers.

with that said, if you have poor coverage in an area blame your neigbors or your city they are the ones that are keeping it poor, not your carrier, you have to remember that a carrier is in the business to make money, and they can't do that unless they have adequate coverage. and you neigbors and city don't want "ugly" towers all over the place.

i guess i should also point out that the majority of the users on the forum are gsm users, so they will always vote that the network they are most envious of as the worst.
    Last edited by ImmerStark; 11-14-2002 at 02:44 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    if you have poor coverage in an area blame your neigbors or your city they are the ones that are keeping it poor, not your carrier, you have to remember that a carrier is in the business to make money, and they can't do that unless they have adequate coverage. and you neigbors and city don't want "ugly" towers all over the place.

I suppose that to a certain point that is true, but how do explain that T-mobile has only been in Chicago since June 2001 and they have built a better network in that time than Sprint has, and they have been here since 1996? Sprint has made no effort to improve coverage here and T-Mobile gets better every month. Why anyone in chicago would use Sprint is beyond me.
    Marge: The plant called. They said if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Whoahoo! Four day weekend!

My Feedback

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    every carier has it's bad markets.

and trust, chicago is one of the largest markets in the country, sprint would do something about the problem if they could.

from what i understand the initial problem they had after launch in 1999 was the inability to put up towers because of nimby freaks. the current problems are with the land line provider there(ameritech)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know of 3 sore sore spots for SPCS coverage (where I've used my SPCS phone).

Miami/Ft Lauderdale (mostly system busines and dropped calls)
    Chicago (same as above)
    Raleigh/Durham (RTP), NC (where's the coverage?! oh that's right I have to roam on Verizon and pay out the a$$! hehe)

Sprint has very good coverage in these areas I've been:

Orlando area (where I live - only had a dropped call twice and one "system busy" in the 9 months that I used SPCS exclusively)
    Tampa Bay area
    St Louis, MO
    Denver/Boulder, CO (could be better)
    Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
    Jacksonville, FL
    I-95 from Daytona Beach to NC (that's as far as I've driven)
    SFO BayArea (pretty decent, not as good as Verizon from what I hear)

Like Immer said, each carrier has its "good" markets and "not so good" markets, and yes you do have to account for those evil NIMBY people

NIMBY to Wireless provider: "Oh wah, boo hoo! My cell phone doesn't work @ my house, wah! wah! wah!"

Wireless Provider: "Ok I guess we probably should put a tower up near that area, we've been meaning to do so anyway...."

NIMBY: "OH HELL NO!!!! YOU AREN'T PUTTING THAT MONSTROSITY IN MY BACK YARD!!!!!!!!"

Wireless Provider: "Well your phone isn't going to work @ your home then if we can't place a tower in or near your locale"

NIMBY: "Your service sucks! I'm going to [place carrier here]!!"

This is probably why Cingular/T-Mobile's coverage sucks major a$$ in the SFO Bay Area and I had to use my SPCS phone when I was out there a few weeks ago......a friend of mine that works for SPCS (I went to go visit him and some other friends actually) told me that there are A LOT of NIMBYs in the Bay Area.

My T-Mobile service here in the Orlando area and in NC/SC (on Cingular interestingly enough) works wonderfully! :-)

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

and trust, chicago is one of the largest markets in the country, sprint would do something about the problem if they could.

from what i understand the initial problem they had after launch in 1999 was the inability to put up towers because of nimby freaks. the current problems are with the land line provider there(ameritech)

The problem that Sprint has in Chicago is that they could not get towers put up where they need them. So instead of doing what T-Mobile and ATT did, pay other tower operaters to put up antenna, they just decided that they had a good enough network here. If they really cared about improving their network here the could put up antennas on other towers but they are too cheap to pay. That is why their network is bad in Chicago, it has nothing to do with Ameritech, there are plenty of switches available.

Device(s)
    Treo 700P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless baby!
    Feedback Score

I have Cingular and I have Nationwide, I have RARELY(2-3 times) gotten "No Service" and I get most every call, every now and then I get the dreaded "system Busy" but it is understandable, Cell service is not perfect........ .......I have been to the Most REMOTE areas of the east coast area, and still gotten a good enough signal to make and/or recieve a call... ....
    The only area that I have had No Sevice, is DEEP in the North GA mountains, in which u r gonna get No Sevice w/ EVERY SP......I was up there rafting a few months ago and had 3 cell fones......
    6360(Cell One): No Service
    8260(Cingular): No Service
    5120I(PSC Wireless,Roaming on Cingular system upthere):No Service

Cheers!
    WOOOOO!!!!! I'm "in"!!!!!

Device(s)
    Nokia 8260
    Carrier(s)
    SunCom
    Feedback Score
    Sprint is also terrible in Richmond VA. I know a lot of people that drop calls and switch to SunCom b/c of it. Little do they know that it's a whole new technology, not the normal CDMA they are used to, which means NO INTERNET!!!! Oh, well, SunCom will be GSM soon enough. <!!!evil laugh!!!>

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast