Thread: $25 unlimited plan on rogers and a $50 nokia 8260 [refurbd]

metacoretex Guest

$25 unlimited plan on rogers and a $50 nokia 8260 [refurbd]

ValentinaDeb Guest

Re: $25 unlimited plan on rogers and a $50 nokia 8260 [refurbd]

Is that a ploy to get more Rogers customers and then do a switcheroo offer to GSM once it's ready, or clear the refurb stock from the stores (or both)? Either way, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

torontonian2001 Guest

Clearing out obsolete stock.

What Rogers do is to clear out obsolete TDMA phone stocks to get ready for the GSM launch. Also, signing up more customers with the 2 year term means that it would have a guaranteed customer base for at least 2 years on its inferior TDMA network.

metacoretex Guest

Re: Clearing out obsolete stock.

first, the TDMA network aint goin anywhere .. it will still be here in 3 yrs [since people are signed on to use it for that LONG] .. and it isn't obsolete until at&t is full-on GSM/GPRS/3GSM ...

anyways, i m just informing people thru the forums .. some PPL want the 8260 ... i guess they want to burn a hole in their wallets and pants

Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Angry Current Rogers customers get screwed

I have been trying to find a replacment for my Nokia 5120, so that I can send SMS and email. The cheapest solution that the Rogers stores offered was about $300 for a 5125. I would be happy to fork over $150 for the refurbished 8260 but you have to buy it online and the forms are set up for a new account activation only. I do plan to get a GSM phone in Jan when I'm up for a purchase subsidy again, so I wouldn't want to spend alot of money on a phone now.
    Does anyone know how an existing customer can get a refurbished 8260?

Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

I will answer my own question...
    I called Rogers customer support and the rep said that the online store is run by a seperate company and Rogers has nothing to do with their policy, so only new customers can get the refurbished 8260. He did say, however, that Rogers has their own refurbished phone department, for returns and such. He passed my number on to them and they are supposedly going to call me about it (it has only been about 30 mins).

For those non-rogers subscribers that may be thinking about getting this refurbed 8260 deal.. I recomend the full-priced monthly plan purchase ($129 for the phone). This means no contract. The downside is you don't get any of the extra features free(call display, forwarding etc.) The upside being, anytime in the next couple of years, when you are ready to sign a contract and switch to GSM on Rogers, you can get a rebate on the new GSM phone or just cut your losses and sign up with another company.