Thread: weak Broadband signal

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

weak Broadband signal

I just got the PC5220 card with broadband access. I've found several places so far where my v710 works just fine but the PC5220 can't get signal. It appears very sensitive to walls as I was able to go from no service to 4/5 bars by simply moving about 10' along a concrete wall toward the glass door. (Reminds of of my old Cingular phone.) Does the PC card run exclusively at the higher band (1.8Ghz?) or does its antenna just suck? There appears to be a jack for an external antenna on the card. Can anyone recommend a good external antenna I could carry in my bag and pull out when needed?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G [16GB- White]
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Re: weak Broadband signal

Originally posted by mdaniel73
    I just got the PC5220 card with broadband access. I've found several places so far where my v710 works just fine but the PC5220 can't get signal. It appears very sensitive to walls as I was able to go from no service to 4/5 bars by simply moving about 10' along a concrete wall toward the glass door. (Reminds of of my old Cingular phone.) Does the PC card run exclusively at the higher band (1.8Ghz?) or does its antenna just suck? There appears to be a jack for an external antenna on the card. Can anyone recommend a good external antenna I could carry in my bag and pull out when needed?
    The Broadband service uses 1900 MHz where as the Voice side will use 850 MHz. This is why you are experiencing the lack of indoor coverage with the PC5220 and the v710 works fine.

Device(s)
    Motorola V60S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The antenna does suck. A tech told me it was due to the way the antenna is directly attached to the boards inside the case, it generates too much resistance or some such. An external antenna is available from Wilson Electronics, makes a world of difference
    Hippies. They're everywhere. They all wanna save the world, but all they do is smoke pot & smell bad - Cartman

Device(s)
    VX7000..threw agains a wall becasue it didnt connect a call!!!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Frecking Wireless
    Feedback Score
    this worked great for me...this antenna at evdo reports is certified and boosted my signal at my house from no bars to 4out of five bars!

check it out!

www.evdo-coverage.com

Device(s)
    TYTN
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    what the heck is this super charged stuff?

Device(s)
    XV6600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by abendx
    what the heck is this super charged stuff?
    either some sort of RF enhancement or a silly marketing ploy. I'll have to go with the latter simply because the site is complete ××× and their $1000 "EV-DO router" is nothing more than a soekris box with WiFi and extra PC Card slot.

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you think the antenna from the older 555 aircard would work on the 5220? I remember that card having a much longer, folding?, and detachable antenna.

Device(s)
    Current: Samsung Omnia II, Samsung Intensity, LG Dare and LG EnV 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is a new BroadbandAccess PC Card coming out soon. I forget the model number, however the antenna structure is noticably different from the current model. Perhaps this will quell some of the antenna concerns.
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead...
    Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow...
    In fact, just leave me the hell alone!

Device(s)
    XV6600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mdaniel73
    Do you think the antenna from the older 555 aircard would work on the 5220? I remember that card having a much longer, folding?, and detachable antenna.
    555 has a pigtail, from what I can tell the 5220 does not

Device(s)
    VX-8300
    Feedback Score
    look on ebay for an antenna!!!

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone recommend an antenna that doesn't require a metal ground plane? Its just not practical to run RG58 out to the roof of my car when I'm sitting in someone's home or office.