Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nokia T9 text use

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Nokia T9 text use

I have a mini-FAQ that I just threw together on T9 text as implemented with Nokia. Here's what I have. Could folks comment as to whether these instructions work for all Nokia's with T9 text input or if it's just for certain models such as the 5190 or 3390? Here's what I've got:

Nokia T9 predictive text hints

T9 predictive text will help you compose text quicker with much less effort. Nokia has implemented T9 into many of its late model handsets.

The following are some hints to help you use T9 easily.

1. When composing a message just type the letters as they normally would be in a word. Once you have completed the word if that’s the only “usual” spelling of the word the word will be underlined. If there are other words that could use that key press combination press the * key and it will cycle through words that are in the T9 dictionary. If T9 cannot find the word the word will have a ? after it with the word spell if there are no other options. Press spell and it will bring you to a screen where you can multitap the word. After you spell the word the word will now be part of the T9 dictionary.

2. To type a period just press the 1 key. After you type the period the next letter you
    type will be upper case to the next sentence. If you type a letter then 1 immediately followed by any letter the punctuation will become an apostrophe. e. g. to type he’s you would key 4417. To type numbers hold down the corresponding key about three seconds e.g. to type the words ‘round 1’ you would key 76863(space)1(hold) = round 1. To type round 10 you would key 768631(hold)0(hold.)

To type other punctuation after a word type the word then press 1 immediately followed by the * key. Keep pressing the * key and it will cycle between punctuation symbols ([email protected] etc.)

3. To insert numbers hold down the # key and your display will have 123 at the top. If you are in predictive text mode you will see ==> ABC if you are in numeric mode you will see ===> 123.

4. To use predictive text you can also use menu options such as Spell mode, Insert number, Insert symbol etc.

*Tip for later model Nokia handsets:

If you press the * key to bring up the choice of symbols you can change the line of symbols you're on by using the 2, 4, 6 or 8 keys like a "joy stick." e.g. if you're on the top line of symbols press the 8 key and you'll move down a line. Press the 6 key and you'll move one symbol to the right. Press the 4 key to move left one character. Press the 2 key and you'll move up one row.
    Last edited by Telekom; 02-23-2003 at 12:36 AM.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Works with 8290.
    "Connecting People"--Nokia
    www.ccsgraphic.com

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips. Nokia still has by far and away the easiest implementation of t9 I have seen yet. SMS from the late model Nokia phones is extremely efficient and easy to do......Motorola is a nightmare in comparison both due to menu structure and iTap. I like some Moto phones for other reasons but for anyone who does a lot of SMS a Nokia phone if available should def. be a consideration.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: Nokia T9 text use

Originally posted by littlefuzzbear

3. To insert numbers hold down the # key and your display will have 123 at the top. If you are in predictive text mode you will see ==> ABC if you are in numeric mode you will see ===> 123.
    hey.. Something I didn't know! Cool tip! *thumbs up*

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Avironeur
    Thanks for the tips. Nokia still has by far and away the easiest implementation of t9 I have seen yet. SMS from the late model Nokia phones is extremely efficient and easy to do......Motorola is a nightmare in comparison both due to menu structure and iTap. I like some Moto phones for other reasons but for anyone who does a lot of SMS a Nokia phone if available should def. be a consideration.
    Agreed. Nokia has the best SMS implementation out there. For one, I like the "0" key to be the space bar. On Ericsson's and Mot's they're in different locations.

Secondly, the speed is perfect. On Ericssons, especially the T68m and T39m, I have to wait for the phone to 'catch up' to my input. Very annoying.

Device(s)
    n-gage
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    works for the 3390, and this by far 10 times better than iTAP, the only thing i like about iTAP over t9 on a nokia is that a v60g has iTAP on gprs when using aim, where as i hear that the 8390 and 6590 don't have it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by angrychair
    works for the 3390, and this by far 10 times better than iTAP, the only thing i like about iTAP over t9 on a nokia is that a v60g has iTAP on gprs when using aim, where as i hear that the 8390 and 6590 don't have it.
    Err, yeah

"Could folks comment as to whether these instructions work for all Nokia's with T9 text input or if it's just for certain models such as the 5190 or 3390?"

Device(s)
    n-gage
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Err, yeah

"Could folks comment as to whether these instructions work for all Nokia's with T9 text input or if it's just for certain models such as the 5190 or 3390?"
    just trying to help out. ill never do it again...btw it works with the 3360 and the 8260 i believe.

Device(s)
    BB9000
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Re: Nokia T9 text use

3. To insert numbers hold down the # key and your display will have 123 at the top. If you are in predictive text mode you will see ==> ABC if you are in numeric mode you will see ===> 123
    This also works if you hold down the desired number. its faster in case u only want one or two numbers in there (for long strings like phone numbers and such is better to hold down the # and do them all at once)

eg: to type round 1, you would press 76863 (0 for space) and hold down the 1 for 3secs
    Yo pensé que tú sabías...

Device(s)
    n-gage
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Nokia T9 text use

Originally posted by Phantasma
    This also works if you hold down the desired number. its faster in case u only want one or two numbers in there (for long strings like phone numbers and such is better to hold down the # and do them all at once)

eg: to type round 1, you would press 76863 (0 for space) and hold down the 1 for 3secs
    awesome

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    When inserting a symbol on my 8290, I can jump down a row by pressing #. This selects the next charachter down, and when at the bottom, jumps to the characther all the way at the top.

This is not limited to predictive text input, though.
    Last edited by ccsccs7; 10-20-2002 at 03:36 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Additional T9 hint

This will not work with all Nokia handsets, but I know it works with the Nokia 6310i and 6340. It may work with the 6360 as well.

If you are composing a message and you have to hold the * key for symbols you can use the 2, 4, 6 or 8 keys like a "joy stick" and quickly access the symbol you're looking for. For example you are in the selection of symbols. The default is to put you on the period symbol. If you press the 6 key the cursor will move towards the right. If you press the 8 key your cursor will move down a row. If you press the 4 key your cursor will move left and if you press the 2 key your cursor will move up a row.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS, N78, N82, N81 8GB,N95-4, N95-3, N95-1 PINK!, N73 PINK/WHITE!, N90 proto, OEM Pink N-Gage
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    *Another tip*
    This works on my 7210 but I'm not sure about other Nokia's If you are typing a word such as "home" more than likely the first word that will appear will be "good". If you press the * key all other matches will come up for that sequence of numbers. I find that very helpful especially when I'm trying to text my hubby that I'll be home soon. He still gets a kick about the good part though!!

Device(s)
    SonyEricsson Z520a
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ccsccs7
    When inserting a symbol on my 8290, I can jump down a row by pressing #. This selects the next charachter down, and when at the bottom, jumps to the characther all the way at the top.

This is not limited to predictive text input, though.
    On my 6590, I can navigate the symbols by using the 2, 4, 6 and 8 buttons. MUCH easier and quicker than using the up and down buttons.

-Mike

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    On the 6590, in addition to using the 2,4,6, and 8 buttons to navigate through symbols, 5 can be used to choose the selection.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast