Thread: Have any Canadians heard of this provider?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Question Have any Canadians heard of this provider?

Here's an email I received from Steve Romaine:

This came across my email a few days ago and I decided to check out the website and write for some more info. Have either of you received a similar email or heard anything more about this company?

Steve

Hey,

I dont know if you heard of WestNet, but they have been advertising here in
    Calgary like crazy about their upcoming service. check out their website at
    www.westnet.ca

They are like going to basically combine the main princibles of a landlane
    phone into a cell phone and vice versa.

They will be using 1.9 GHz and I dont know what channel. It was on some news
    too a few days ago.

what makes them entirely different is that they are by them selves. you know
    how their is basically an american version of everything here? like rogers,
    they have at&t, mike here, they have nextel. they have equipment striclty
    for canadians as of yet. they are going to be huge. they already secucred
    tens of millions it looks like. they are going to be the first in the world
    to offer certain things and will eventually develop standards.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your interest in our future services. Introduction to the
    services has yet to be decided. I will tell you this, as far as I know, each
    cellular phone will actually have its own dedicated number instead of using
    trunk numbers. There are much more advantages, I think they may even be a
    dial tone, ability to receive collect calls. Features like that, anything
    that your home phone number can do but your current cellular can't.
    Basically they are bridging the two. This will be the first kind of cellular
    service in North America.

Again, thank you for your interest. Please as a Canadian, let me know what
    your thoughts are of these services that will be provided by WestNet.

Warmest Regards

Norman B. Manning
    Administrative Assistant
    WestNet Communications, Calgary. LTD

Steve Romaine
    Webmaster, GeckoBeach.com
    The Canadian Mobile Phone Resource Site

Device(s)
    Motorola V60c
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if this is W2N? They bought some spectrum in BC last Feb.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson SO505i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    I couldn't pull up westnet.ca

westnet.com and westnet.net aren't it either..

Feedback Score
    Here is a press release about WestNet, well more or less an interview with the president of the company...interesting...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuesday, July 31, 2001

CALGARY, AB - The next time you visit a wireless phone store you may have another choice for your service provider. The recent acquisition of Ontario-based ClearNet Communications by TELUS has allowed very little space for competition in Canada, especially here in Alberta. This is where WestNet Communications comes in. WestNet, based here in Calgary has touched in technology fields from Telecommunications to Internet services.

Why does WestNet want to enter the wireless phone market? Well ask Abdul Traya, 19, yes, 19-years-old, President and founder of WestNet. "It’s simple, when you need local or national cellular service, that only leaves you with 3 companies; one, is fairly expensive and lacks coverage, and the other two, are very similar with almost little or no difference between the two, specifically in service plans." Said Abdul.

Abdul Traya, who founded WestNet Communications, Ltd. in 1997, has seen many aspects of the Internet and communications industry. Since his high school years, he has always been looking for ideas and initiatives that would make him successful in the corporate world.

What is WestNet planning to offer that is different then other companies? Well for one thing, your cell phone will operate very close to your home phone and vice versa. For example, let’s say you live in a rural area, and you need at least 1 telephone line, this is where WestNet’s patent pending solution arrives. WestNet is developing a device, called the WestWireCELL. Customers will be able to connect regular home telephones to their very own WWC. Once connected, their phones will operate just like your home phone with out the wires to the Phone Company. The conclusion? This is very cost effective, if you live out in a rural area outside of Calgary and needed phone service. TELUS will charge you hundreds of dollars for a single line that is not as mobile as the WestWireCell.

Now how about this, once you are activated with WestNet, you can actually have your name display when you call someone with caller identification. For those of you with bad credit, don’t worry. WestNet has figured a way to combine prepaid service with a service plan. Ultimately speaking, it would be a prepaid paid service plan. Meaning you can prepay if you want evenings and weekends.

Those were just a few features and services WestNet is focused on. When should we expect this service, at least us Calgarians? Well not any time soon, as far as we know. WestNet just recently began securing capital. "It may take us sometime, but eventually we will there." Said Abdul. You can obviously tell this will be a different company. A company, that people may actually like, thanks to a 19 year old with a lot of ideas.

What are WestNet’s advertising tools? Sexy women that is, something most people want to see. "I mean really, who really wants to activate cellular service when looking at ads that have green frogs, lizards or ducks displayed? Keeping in mind that company stays with it and never comes up with anything new. How does that produce demand for service?" He bluntly said. When I visited WestNet’s web site, www.westnet.ca, yet only to find a pictures of a young attractive couple embracing, and another couple, whom were both very attractive women. How does this stand as powerful advertising Mr. Traya? "Well, again, these are powerful images, a good and appropriate advertising tool. The overall image of this company, is exactly what I want it to be. It’s just pathetic what’s out there"

Prior to heading towards the wireless phone market, WestNet considered and invested into long distance solutions, which never really deployed because of many competitors.

Till then, I guess we will have to live with pain with our current service provider. If you are curious or exited about WestNet, call them, 1-800-552-1267.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-mike

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson SO505i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't sound too exciting.. I doubt they'll last very long.

Originally posted by mikew44
    If you are curious or exited about WestNet, call them, 1-800-552-1267.

Device(s)
    a hand phone ;)
    Carrier(s)
    My service provider is...
    Feedback Score
    It's an interesting concept and is definately something new. I have to agree and be skeptical, however. In the UK and whatnot, they have similar products that you use at home like a landline/mainline type thing. I heard they tried it out here before and it didn't do well. Never know, times change, and maybe this time 'round it'll be a hit.

This kind of reminds me of Look's wireless data services... whats up with them anyway? They shut down their service or atleast stopped new subscribers, and...?

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Okigire
    It's an interesting concept and is definately something new. I have to agree and be skeptical, however. In the UK and whatnot, they have similar products that you use at home like a landline/mainline type thing. I heard they tried it out here before and it didn't do well. Never know, times change, and maybe this time 'round it'll be a hit.

This kind of reminds me of Look's wireless data services... whats up with them anyway? They shut down their service or atleast stopped new subscribers, and...?
    It's interesting that there's a device out right now that will allow you to use your mobile at home and lets you use your regular telephones to access your mobile phone's line. So far it's only available for certain CDMA and TDMA phones, but according to the company they're going to eventually have it for other stuff like GSM phones.

http://www.vox2.com/
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Nokia 7160
    Carrier(s)
    AWS
    Feedback Score
    Actually, Nokia makes equipment to do just that for corporate customers. Not cheap, though, but it's useful for corporations who have mobile employees, allowing each to have his own line in and out of the office.

Device(s)
    Motorola V60c
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ValentinaDeb
    Actually, Nokia makes equipment to do just that for corporate customers. Not cheap, though, but it's useful for corporations who have mobile employees, allowing each to have his own line in and out of the office.
    Some providers offer similar. I know Bell Mobility has something called "office link" and "wireless campus" that does this.