Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon says Connecticut cell tower could be off for 6 weeks!

Device(s)
    Motorola V710 (crushed by a car)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Verizon says Connecticut cell tower could be off for 6 weeks!

Sitting around the house yesterday and noticed that my new Motorola V710 had no signal ( I usually get 5 signal bars when I'm at home). Called Verizon and spoke to a network guy. We went through all the usual System A/System B, remove the battery, check your settings stuff. He gave me a trouble ticket and said it should be back up in 24-48 hours. The problem persisted for 24 hours so my wife called today and was told that there's a problem with a tower and it could take 4-6 WEEKS TO BE REPAIRED! This is outrageous! Sure, they offered her a credit of a dollar and change a day for as long as this tower is out, but that won't cut it for me. I (like many others) rely on my cell phone to conduct business, keep in touch with the family, and for ALL my long distance calling. If you're from the Shelton or Trumbull Connecticut area, the problem seems to be with the tower on Booth Hill Road in Trumbull, CT ( what the tower owner calls Video Lane). I had to laugh, while on hold for a CSR at Verizon, the oh hold message says "when you call Verizon with a problem, your problem becomes our problem". Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this before? Hey Verizon, just get someone out to the tower and fix it! 4-6 weeks for problem resolution is just plain silly.

Feedback Score

6 weeks?

If that issue would have been in NYC the tower would have been corrected already.

I doubt it will take 6 weeks, but if it does, then make it clear that you want to cancel your service and break your contract if such is not resolved.

Verizon has loads of techs in the field so I really dont think 6 weeks was correct. Verizon is right now upgrading towers to EVDO + 1900 overlay from what I hear. Maybe they are waiting for a piece of equipment or since they are upgrading anyways, they will just wait a little longer and then do the full upgrade.

Life isnt perfect. However 6 weeks is excessive. With the amount of profit Verizon has, you would expect they would indeed fly out emergency technicians if required for repairs like this if needed.

You would expect redundency and Verizon claims the most reliable network. Even a day is considered outrageous nowadays. Verizon does have more backup cabability though especially for blackouts and the like and usually does work when the others dont so this appears to be surprising and not the usual.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: 6 weeks?

Originally posted by ajulius
    If that issue would have been in NYC the tower would have been corrected already.

I doubt it will take 6 weeks, but if it does, then make it clear that you want to cancel your service and break your contract if such is not resolved.

Verizon has loads of techs in the field so I really dont think 6 weeks was correct. Verizon is right now upgrading towers to EVDO + 1900 overlay from what I hear. Maybe they are waiting for a piece of equipment or since they are upgrading anyways, they will just wait a little longer and then do the full upgrade.

Life isnt perfect. However 6 weeks is excessive. With the amount of profit Verizon has, you would expect they would indeed fly out emergency technicians if required for repairs like this if needed.

You would expect redundency and Verizon claims the most reliable network. Even a day is considered outrageous nowadays. Verizon does have more backup cabability though especially for blackouts and the like and usually does work when the others dont so this appears to be surprising and not the usual.
    Just remember:

THE WORLD DOESNT REVOLVE AROUND YOU

To fix the problem w/ the tower, they probably have to figure out what is wrong with it...

-justin

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    6 weeks is too long for any carrier to let a tower be off the air unless its been destoryed, then give them a week to get a COW there and the site rebuilt. Call daily until its repaired. Eventually they'll get sick of hearing from you and do something.

Cheers.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by CkZX2
    6 weeks is too long for any carrier to let a tower be off the air unless its been destoryed, then give them a week to get a COW there and the site rebuilt. Call daily until its repaired. Eventually they'll get sick of hearing from you and do something.

Cheers.
    Agreed that 6weeks is a little too long, unless they are busy building up other towers. The more people that complain, will cause it to be put higher on priority though.

-justin

Feedback Score
    A few questions regarding this tower:

How long have you had service at this location?

Even in the Florida hurricanes, Verizon was not out for that long a period of time so something really sounds amiss.

Sounds like either that person did not know what they were talking about or there are some serious issues beyond Verizons control which could be anything and I wouldnt second guess it.

Usually Verizon has been rock solid here, much better than Sprint PCS ever was. In store customer service is another issue. But they focus their resources on the network itself.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ajulius
    A few questions regarding this tower:

How long have you had service at this location?

Even in the Florida hurricanes, Verizon was not out for that long a period of time so something really sounds amiss.

Sounds like either that person did not know what they were talking about or there are some serious issues beyond Verizons control which could be anything and I wouldnt second guess it.

Usually Verizon has been rock solid here, much better than Sprint PCS ever was. In store customer service is another issue. But they focus their resources on the network itself.
    ajulius, I've had Verizon service here for about a month, although my wife and kids have been with VZW for a couple of years. We (3 phones) are all in analog at best. I agree that something is amiss, I just wish they would tell me what it is.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    If your service is interrupted for six weeks, then you have full reason to receive two months credit for loss of service. I don't think it's enough reason to be let out of your comitment, but it will give you the money necessary to replace the service with prepaid during the time.

Imagine if they had to let everyone out of contract when a hurricane hit an area, and couldn't get to a tower in the middle of nowhere for 4 to 6 weeks.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A site outage has never taken 6 weeks to repair, unless the site's antenna structure was literally destroyed, and even then you can get a cow in and put some service out.

like most tech support, they have no idea what really happens in the field and they have the scripted responses to give out.

It also show alarms on the switch and if the site is really down, the NOC will page a tech to go fix it.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, LG V40 ThinQ, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Around here if a tower were to go out, my phone would probably just show decreased signal as it gets service from a more distant tower.

If you have absolutely no service, that's odd because if it's one tower that is out and you're not in a fringe reception area then you should have service.

Have you tried analog? Sometimes when the digital part of the tower is down or malfunctioning, analog still works fine and usually great.

-Josh

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Josh - yes, sometime I do get an analog signal, but it is weak and noisy and unreliable. Other times I do pull enough of a digital signal to key the Verizon Wireless banner on my screen, but usually it ways no service. Same on all our phones. I'll be talking to VZW again this morning, I'll update this thread.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    That tower is pretty close to my house, but I didn't notice any loss in signal. I'll drive down to the area today on my way home from work and see what I come across.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Surprise... They Fixed It! Way to go, VZW!

I spoke to someone in the Network Repair Bureau at VZW late this morning and they told me that the problem was with what they call "tower 17 in Trumnull, CT, to one on Booth Hill Road. They claimed to have techs on site working to resolve the issue, which they claimed they were getting "tons of calls" about. I happened to be out and about early this afternoon and discovered that the problem has been fixed. Kudos to Verizon. I imagine that if the problem had surfaced on a weekday instead of over the weekend that they would have jumped right on it. My faith, and my signal have been restored.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Surprise... They Fixed It! Way to go, VZW!

Originally posted by bobabbate
    I spoke to someone in the Network Repair Bureau at VZW late this morning and they told me that the problem was with what they call "tower 17 in Trumnull, CT, to one on Booth Hill Road. They claimed to have techs on site working to resolve the issue, which they claimed they were getting "tons of calls" about. I happened to be out and about early this afternoon and discovered that the problem has been fixed. Kudos to Verizon. I imagine that if the problem had surfaced on a weekday instead of over the weekend that they would have jumped right on it. My faith, and my signal have been restored.
    if you ever call customer service and have issues with service in and around your home... let them know that its around the building (like in your driveway), and not just in your house.

"verizon cant guarantee signal inside of a building". cant remember how many times I heard that one from our customer serivce dept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast