Thread: Will I be billed for roaming on ATT

Device(s)
    i730
    Feedback Score

Will I be billed for roaming on ATT

Hi all,

I currently am using a world phone (inno55). When I put the Sim in, it would say ATT on it. If I dial 611, it won't connect me to cingular CS. So I think I am on the ATT service with Cingular SIM. I am currently in Boston. Will I be billed from ATT and Cingular ? I am new and do not know what to do. Thanks.

P.S. I cannot chose the network service other than ATT, it only provides tmobile / att, but only ATT works.

Device(s)
    Nokia Mural 6750 (current)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on your plan as to if you'd get billed. If you're on any reasaonbly current Nation/Region plan, then no, you won't.

However, the reason this is happening is because (most likely) your phone does not support 850 MHz which is what Cingular uses in Mass. This means you will be constantly roaming, due to your own (phone) choice, and Cingular will not like that. They may insist you get an 850 phone.

Device(s)
    i730
    Feedback Score
    I am currently on the Region 600 FamilyTalk with 2 additional phones. I am the only one with the ATT service sign. So I will not be bill for roaming?

Device(s)
    Motorola V400
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    you wont be billed, but you are giving up a good deal of coverage by only having 1900, instead of 850. Cnigular probably wont care that much because they are buying AT&T

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by erub
    you wont be billed, but you are giving up a good deal of coverage by only having 1900, instead of 850. Cnigular probably wont care that much because they are buying AT&T
    True, since ATT will be Cingular soon, they have very little incentive to tell you to cease and desist, but you are giving up definite coverage in Mass by not carrying a phone that can do 850 MHz.

Device(s)
    i730
    Feedback Score
    So this phone will has very low signal most of the time ? Should I go back to 850mhz phone or what ? I like this phone, just I am worry I can't get the signal to make / get calls.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It'll have signal where ever ATT has signal, but if ATT is weak somewhere, or non-existant, it won't ever be able to go to Cingular.

You can try out for yourself to see how good it is, but you may not be happy. Also, if you ever travel to a Cingular 850 market which doesn't have any 1900 roaming agreements, you'll get absolutely nothing.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cingular will have 1900 in all of its markets following the merger. You will probably not see 1900 at all in rural areas where 850 is more mature. In that case, your pretty phone won't work and only those with 850 phones will have coverage.

So, if you prefer a coverage map that looks like T-Mobile's, then keep your phone. But if you like a much more extensive coverage area like Cingular's, then you should get a phone capable of 850Mhz.
    Last edited by bobolito; 09-05-2004 at 01:12 PM.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was wondering the same thing because none of my phones have 850 and I may be recieving a cingular account. I'm not sure but awhile ago I thought I read that if you use more than 50% of your minutes off network or out of your home area then they can cancel your service or something. I may be wrong but will someone inform me so that I can be sure

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by braindead5400
    I was wondering the same thing because none of my phones have 850 and I may be recieving a cingular account. I'm not sure but awhile ago I thought I read that if you use more than 50% of your minutes off network or out of your home area then they can cancel your service or something. I may be wrong but will someone inform me so that I can be sure
    That term is in the contract yes. The only time we've ever heard of it being enforced, is when someone specifically does something to enable roaming when it otherwise shouldn't be (most commonly using a non-850 phone), as opposed to just being in a place w/o Cingular service.

But, if you're roaming on ATT, they won't bug you, since it'll be Cingular momentarily anyway. If you're 'artificially' roaming on TMo or someone else, don't be surprised if you get a warning sometime down the line.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular 850 Land
    Feedback Score
    okay, I have a Q.

the reason why I've always stuck with Cingular is because they have a tower like 1/2 a mile from my neighborhood at the most. needless to say that my coverage in my neighborhood has always been great.

so I wonder what would happen if I were to get one of the cooler, more modern day phones like the 7610 which operates on the 1900 band. now thats AT&T, right?

if so, with AT&T and Cingular merging as one, does this mean that I could get a 7610 and still get great service from my local Cingular tower or would I have to rely on an "official" AT&T tower which is like 6 miles from my house meaning the RF isnt too great. in other words, would the close tower near my neighborhood be broadcasting on the 1900 band or is it 850 only?

anyone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    For now its 850 only. After the merger, they could change it around, but its probably cheaper for them not to. For the meantime, and unless there's some good reason otherwise, the near one will probably stay 850 only.