Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: VX6000 Secret Menu-gpsOne

Device(s)
    Motorola v9m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    When the dispatcher called back she said "we received a 911 hangup from your CELLPHONE". She didn't say we received a 911 hangup from this number or from this phone.

Device(s)
    motorola v65s
    Carrier(s)
    verizon (since 2001)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php

check it.

they probably have access to such tools, as well as, having it automatically pop up on their screen.

But, like i said, if it's up... great!

peace,
    matt

Feedback Score
    This still working for anyone. i tried it on a vx4500. got to:
    "gpsOne in progress".
    then failed quickly - think the first woird of the failure message was "Unable.."

sean

Device(s)
    SCH-i760
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    also try plugging your coordinates into:
    http://terraserver.microsoft.com/geographic.aspx

Device(s)
    LG VX8000 (5 yrs later and stick ticking!)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    work for me, but my phones now bugging out. hope this isn't the reason...

don't see how it would be thou

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

e911

i'm a public safety dispatcher in the central jersey region. when you call 911 from a cell phone, it's common knowledge that the call is routed to the regional PSAP (public service answering point), usually geographically near the tower the phone is using. however, when a e911 call is received, some of the newer calltaking 911 terminals have screens which send the approximate location of the call origin, consisting of the two nearest towers and the relative signal strength. the next generation of equipment, which is being tested right now (by a buddy of mine who works at Verizon) utilizes the e911 chip in the phone to get exact location data (coordinates) using what i think is the control channel of the cellular connection.

so the short answer is: yes, it's being used, but not widespread. and as for the user who said his municipality dispatcher called him back and knew it was a cell phone, all phones wired directly into a 911 system broadcast an address location. all cell phones on a 911 system broadcast the cell tower location, the mobile number, and the billing contact for the account.

Device(s)
    LG VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is totally off subject, but does have to do with 911 calls.

I work at a Radio Shack, and we have a VZW demo phone, and one day when I came into work, I happened to look at our VZW demo phone, and noticed there was a VM on it. So I called, and checked it, and it was a 911 dispatcher that had called us. The lady said "This is Green county 911 dispatch, we received a 911 call from this cell phone number 555-5555 (of course it was the correct number) but here is the weird part, the time the call went through, the phone was locked up in the store (we were closed, it was in the middle of the night). AND, the 911 dispact location was SEVERAL counties away from where we were. This has actually happened several times (2 or 3 that I know of). So my opinions on the whole cell phone 911 calling is, if you ever have to call, be prepared to wait serveral hours for help to arive....

Now on topic, doing that little command works, and it displayed my correct coordinates. That is a pretty good find.. But one question is why did you have to change the number to 922? Mine was set on 923. Would that still work without changing it, or changing it to something else?

Device(s)
    LG VX8000 (5 yrs later and stick ticking!)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    also wanted to say my coordinates we're close, but not right on.

I think it listed me close to a tower in the area thou, but it wasn't the closest, so my guess is it gave the location of the tower i was on.

Device(s)
    motorola v65s
    Carrier(s)
    verizon (since 2001)
    Feedback Score

Re: e911

Originally posted by krisjag
    i'm a public safety dispatcher in the central jersey region. when you call 911 from a cell phone, it's common knowledge that the call is routed to the regional PSAP (public service answering point), usually geographically near the tower the phone is using. however, when a e911 call is received, some of the newer calltaking 911 terminals have screens which send the approximate location of the call origin, consisting of the two nearest towers and the relative signal strength. the next generation of equipment, which is being tested right now (by a buddy of mine who works at Verizon) utilizes the e911 chip in the phone to get exact location data (coordinates) using what i think is the control channel of the cellular connection.

so the short answer is: yes, it's being used, but not widespread. and as for the user who said his municipality dispatcher called him back and knew it was a cell phone, all phones wired directly into a 911 system broadcast an address location. all cell phones on a 911 system broadcast the cell tower location, the mobile number, and the billing contact for the account.

thanks man. you make me feel better about all the money and stuff... this is actually the first i've heard of anything getting tested or anything. i'll spread the news.

peace,
    matt

Device(s)
    Motorola v9m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    thanks Kris that explains alot. with the dispatcher knowing it was a cellphone and all. just proves i wasn't as full of ××××× as some people thought.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Phase II wireless E9-1-1 is finally rolling out here in Western MA. Right now it is only functioning with Verizon, Sprint and Nextel and even then only with certain handsets (newer, GPS-enabled ones). When it does work, it works pretty well (location to within 150ft of the caller), but because of hardware issues, carrier issues and interoperability issues I would say we are seeing about 40-50% Phase II compliant calls. It definitely has a long way to go but it is far better than we were even six months ago.

Device(s)
    VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We so need a program for GIN or a homebrew gps map. Hell, this is definetly something ide gladly pay for in GIN. At least we can now get lat and long, might as well put it to use.

Device(s)
    LG VX600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question

I have gone through the steps and have only been able to replicate the resulting coordinates when I am under the same cell tower (works great and just as described). I wonder if the GPSOne function requires any specific hw/sw at the tower?

As a side bar, I punched in the resulting Lon/Lat into mapquest. The result was the middle of Central Park in NYC. I was actually at 53rd and 6th (about 10 city blocks or about 1/4 mile away). I tested again, GPSOne came up with 7 blocks away.

While I was impressed that the system "kinda" knows where I am, I think that this degree of accuracy would be good for a limited set of applications... local advertisement comes to mind... SMS messages al-a "While you're in the area, come on down to Crazy Edmunds, just a few blocks away on X and Y street. "

Has anyone else's phone been more accurate? Is the accuracy really based on signal strength? I don't know much about radio signals, but wouldn't a stray thumb on the antenna or a nearby car effect the measurement?
    If I had the time and the money, I'd be bored.

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've taken a few readings in the central Michigan area, and every single one has been dead-on within a block or two. I don't know if that would be good enough for On-Star style navigation units, but it would be great to have a rough map with a list of nearby restaraunts, hotels, attractions, etc. Handheld GPS units have that functionality now, so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement in a cell phone, especially since you could download the latest map information on demand. Most handheld units I've seen require you to purchase map data online then transfer them to the unit. This is potentially a huge market with tons of applications and capable of a good amount of profit. It'd be nice to see how much of Verizon's coverage area has the gpsOne functionality. If I knew it was large enough, I'd start coding something today.

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in NJ and have a Freehold number. When I try this i get a verizon msg that says your call cannot be completed as dialed. Is this because i'm missing a step or its not allowed in my area? Any ideas?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast