Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Went to AT&T Store Customer Service Sucked.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Went to AT&T Store Customer Service Sucked.

First of all let me start out by saying I myself do not have AT&T service.

So I went to the AT&T store in Palo Alto yesterday with my GF and her parents because they needed new phones. The salesman was very rude and talked to my GFs parents like they were stupid. I know sometimes people don't know about phones or the technology phones use but still explain it to them and try to be nice about it. So anywho we continue on and my Gf's mom ask me about T-Mobile ( I work for a indirect ) I tell her the deals I can get her and that it doesn't get great service at their house. The salesman decides to chime in at this point and says in a rather loud voice and says "T-Mobile is the worst service you can get and they lease their towers" I wanted to start lauging at his stupidity. I answered by saying that T-Mobile had bought the Toweres from Cingular for 2.5 Billion Dollars and he said that it wasn't true. Another associate at the AT&T store who knows who I am corrected him about that as soon as I walked away. Then while I was looking around I heard this guy tell my GFs parents that AT&T had purchased Cingular, once again I couldn't help myself and just had to school this fool. I responded by saying Cingular bought AT&T and not the other way around and his comeback was but who owns Cingular, SBC does. WTF does SBC owning Cingular have to do with his ******* remark? Anywho to make things worse I asked him if they had the newly announce WCDMA phones. He looked at me with a blank look in his face and said no. The other associate which knows me smiled and told me they were on the wall right in front of their counter. This guy didn't even know what WCDMA was!

Anywho the thing is I know that there will always be someone who doesn't know too much about cell phones working at a Corp. or Indirect store but why get all defensive when you don't know something? Why don't you just admit you didn't know and when you have time go and do some research so you get the right information. Also AT&T GSM service out here was not so good until they signed a roaming agreement with cingular my GF has AT&T and about 60% of the time it is on Cingulars Network so that has to mean something. I have T-Mobile which is basically cingular and I have service just about everwhere but my GFs house.

Anywho what are your guys thoughts on this?

away if you must. But tell me your thoughts anyway.
    Last edited by BigIke; 07-23-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like the one guy was new. You probably should have asked to talk to the one guy that knew you, it's sounds like he would have been more help.

I hate it when someone doesn't know something but tries to play it off like they do.

Now if your salesman said he wasn't sure or didn't know something and you still tried calling him out then I would have said you were the jerk but in your case the salesman was an @ss.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One word...CRAZY.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ivwshane
    Sounds like the one guy was new. You probably should have asked to talk to the one guy that knew you, it's sounds like he would have been more help.

I hate it when someone doesn't know something but tries to play it off like they do.

Now if your salesman said he wasn't sure or didn't know something and you still tried calling him out then I would have said you were the jerk but in your case the salesman was an @ss.
    The guy wasn't new I bought the 6200 in my sig from him back in Febuary of 03

and even before that he was still there

I know not everyone is like that but still that's BS

the guy who knew me was busy with someone else or I would have gone to him.

BTW he also sold her a car charger for $29.99 instead of telling her she could get a non oem one one ebay for like $6.00 I know quality is not as good but they use the car charger once every 2 years almost

Feedback Score
    your experence was exactly what the company is trying to stop. we have new trainings and the like- new quotas to weed out the non-serious reps. Being a retail rep, you should have probley waited for the rep who knew you- it does help to wait for a good rep. It sucks when i see customers i know walking to another rep- idiot rep or not!
    Even though the commission on upgrades has been taken away (this causes alot of reps not to care about the upgrade- and most likley was at least a part of why your experence was poor) I still help the customers who i have helped in the past and get them the best deal possable so they come back to ME and hopefully refer a new customer.
    My 2 cents

Feedback Score
    ""BTW he also sold her a car charger for $29.99 instead of telling her she could get a non oem one one ebay for like $6.00 I know quality is not as good but they use the car charger once every 2 years almost""

on the reps behalf, if I see reps walking customers to e-bay or where ever they get talked to- its agents policy and overall not sales focused!!!
    We are in sales, even though they are a outragous $30 bucks or not- its there choice.

Detroit , Orlando , Atlanta , Dallas , The Castro
    Device(s)
    PPC 6601, Sony Ericsson S710i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular, AT&T Wireless UMTS , Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    your experence was exactly what the company is trying to stop. we have new trainings and the like- new quotas to weed out the non-serious reps. Being a retail rep, you should have probley waited for the rep who knew you- it does help to wait for a good rep. It sucks when i see customers i know walking to another rep- idiot rep or not!
    Even though the commission on upgrades has been taken away (this causes alot of reps not to care about the upgrade- and most likley was at least a part of why your experence was poor) I still help the customers who i have helped in the past and get them the best deal possable so they come back to ME and hopefully refer a new customer.
    My 2 cents
    They need to fire those reps then..im sorry i know they are upset because of the loss of commission but boo hoo...they get paid to help customers

Device(s)
    RAZR V3XX
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    if/when i get bad service or tude from a store rep, i walk out immediately & notify the company's headquarters. they honestly can't fix what they don't know about. bub

Feedback Score
    i agree, my store will NEVER have bad service- we focus on what the customer wants and sell what they need. it works much better than pi$$ing people off and never have them return
    Joe

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    My 2 cents
    I have to say that is so true.. When I first moved to gsm service on ATT the saleguy was soo helpfully that I recommend all my friends to him. I think a lot of sales ppl just see customers as walking dollar sign, and cant be bothered to actually help the customer unless there is commission in it.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Orange
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by BigIke
    BTW he also sold her a car charger for $29.99 instead of telling her she could get a non oem one one ebay for like $6.00 I know quality is not as good but they use the car charger once every 2 years almost
    Wow....so he is doing his job!

How could you get mad at someone for selling her something? If you walked into a Lexus dealership, would you expect the salesman to try to sell you a Lexus, or refer you to the Ford dealership down the street because you can buy a car for less there?

And to Rockstar, yes there is an element of customer service that should be provided but ultimately it is a sales job and the most important thing to a rep is making quota and keeping his/her job.

But then again a competant rep can take a problem situation and turn it into a big sale, if he/she has the brains. I cant even begin to tell you how many times someone came to me furious over this or that (mainly due to misunderstanding) and walked out buying things they didnt even realize they needed!

Feedback Score
    ibclubbin,
    does your store have alot of walkouts and cancelations due to AT&T not haveing free phones anymore? Our store is boarded by Verizon, Spint and T-Mobile so we get TONS of idiot people saying "you dont have a free phone? Verizon will give us 3 free phones and port our number for free waiveing the activatin fee"
    Its hard to sell these days.
    Here is what a rep told my customer at another AT&T location:
    MR Customer, This is what you sound like:

"I buy my gas from this chevron every week and If you wont buy me a new car I will start buying Shell fuel"
    lol crazy stuff man

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM

"I buy my gas from this chevron every week and If you wont buy me a new car I will start buying Shell fuel"
    lol crazy stuff man
    LOL I feel like saying that to my customers sometimes.

But I don't and as far as the carcharger goes yes you guys are right.

I should have told her not to get it. Was too late when she bought it we are going to return it later on this week.

Device(s)
    SPVx E100
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most retail stores you will find some riff raff who are just there collecting a check and it ruins it from someone buying something from that store and leaves a bad taste for that company. AT&T has done that to me twice. The last time was the three (only three in the store) sales people in the store talking baseball to a customer. When I requested to look at a phone and some plans, I was told 'I'm with a customer at the moment' and they went back to talking baseball. As I was walking out, I asked for some pamphlets on buisness plans, cause I needed to outfit my buisness (which was BS) which seemed to pipe their curiousity. I said I needed like 20 lines and phones and then he said he had time to help me. Just took the phamlets and said, 'No, you guys are to busy, I'll go to another store, thanks'.....

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Orange
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    ibclubbin,
    does your store have alot of walkouts and cancelations due to AT&T not haveing free phones anymore? Our store is boarded by Verizon, Spint and T-Mobile so we get TONS of idiot people saying "you dont have a free phone? Verizon will give us 3 free phones and port our number for free waiveing the activatin fee"
    Its hard to sell these days.

lol crazy stuff man
    I havent worked for the company since May so while Ive somewhat kept up on rates and stuff for my own knowledge, I dont know anything about fees, quotas, or whatever, and I dont know promos.

But isnt AT&T running some buy 1 get up to 3 free deal?

And while everyone says they want the FREE phone, if you know how to talk to people and find out their needs, you can CRUSH price and get them to buy what they LIKE, not just take the free phone......But that takes some strong sales skills and I dont think the average bear (especially new hires) has that knowledge since it isnt taught. But we can talk more about that in PM.

P.S. Are you a manager now? It seems from one of your posts that I read you were speaking from a manager's POV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast