Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "BengalBoy's Bible of P800 Internet, Messaging & WAP Connection Settings" on T-Mobile

Device(s)
    Motorola MpX, iMate JAM 416 mhz WiFi & GPS enabled "Road Warrior" & NextLink "Model #1 5G" Headset
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

"BengalBoy's Bible of P800 Internet, Messaging & WAP Connection Settings" on T-Mobile

BengalBoy's Bible of P800 Internet, Messaging & WAP Connection Settings" on T-Mobile
    Okay, I love to help others who are enthusiasts of mobile phones and the new technology, but the P800 questions regarding settings for T-Mobile are becoming a little much. So to help others on T-Mobile, and because I assume most people are like me, "visual" as opposed to "analytical",,,,,I have composed the "BengalBoy's Bible" for Internet, Messaging & WAP Connection Settings for those using T-Mobile. The P800 can be pretty imposing when you start clicking around in and exploring all the different control panel options and settings. While many have posted the settings necessary for the use of internet browsing, email client, and SMS MMS features found on the P800,,,,As they say "A Picture is worth a Thousand Words" or in my case, many minutes.

Let me preface this thread by saying that I am a subscribed "internet2" customer on T-Mobile in Alabama and although these settings work as advertised for me here, some of you in different regions or with different internet plans may need to use different settings. Please don't call or contact me for help after inputting these settings exactly as they are because I will not be able to help you. Try the "Search" button for your particular carrier, issue, error message, etc.

In the Beginning there was the "Control Panel":

Start your journey here,,,the screen will look like this:

And Sony/Ericsson created "Internet Accounts" so the P800 could connect via the "Wireless Web":

I have named my connections "GPRS" and "WAP" but you can call your own connections "Myrdle" and "Billy Bob" if you are so inclined. Tap the "new" button and begin your journey, or if you have already tried and set-up names for your internet accounts, hit the "edit" button.

Remember, to set your preferred connection as the GPRS account, WAP just won't do for using the P800 email client as it was intended.

Connection Type should be GPRS for the ultimate browsing and internet connection speed but "dial-up" is available for you penny pinchers (just don't ask me for the settings?)

Server Address:

This will be either internet2 or internet3 for people using GPRS and wishing to use the P800's email client to it's full advantage. Otherwise, T-Zones Users will rely on the WAP settings for accessing the internet.

Proxy Screen:

Should be unchecked.

Other Screen:

Enable PPP extentions should be checked.

QoS Screen:

Settings as follows or too your preference.

Hit Done until you are back to Internet Accounts.

And on the Second Day,,,,The WAP was Inputted, and it was Good!

Create your WAP account or hit "edit" if you have named it already.

Connection Type should be GPRS then tap "Advanced" button.

WAP Server screen:

Login Screen:

Proxy Screen:

Proxy Server should be checked with the address and port set accordingly.

Other Screen:

Enable PPP extentions should be checked.

QoS Screen:

Tap "Done" until you reach the Internet Accounts Screen and then hit "Other" tab.

Set it to your preference and hit done until you are back to "Control Panel". You have now "created" your internet accounts and the means by which all your other settings will communicate with the "Wireless World".

On the Third Day,,,,there were Messages,,,and the P800's email client was VERY GOOD!!

From "Control Panel" tap the "Messaging Accounts" option and name your email account. Remember to set the account you wish to have the P800 check automatically for email as the "Preferred" account. Hit "new" or "edit" to input your settings.

Basic Info tab:

Remember that these are the settings for my email account and that your's will be different, however, you will have to input the same information for your account in order to enjoy the P800's email client to it's full potential.

Inbox Screen:

Remember that the "Schedule" button allows you to set the P800 up for automatically checking your "Preferred" ISP email account for mail as per your instructions.

Outbox Screen:

The P800 uses SMTP authentication with it's email client. What this means is that you can send email directly from your P800 with attachments if you check this box and input the settings properly. Therefore a "closed loop" "closed relay" server can be accessed with this enabled whereas T68i owners must use an "open loop" "open relay" server in order to send email and attachments directly from the handset without going through T-Zones email service. A much appreciated feature for me personally.

Advanced Screen:

These are the settings for most POP3 accounts.

Now hit "Done" and you have finished setting up your first email account.

On the Fourth Day there was SMS:

Most people will not have a problem with this setting as the phone will automatically do it upon inserting the SIM and turning on the phone. However, should you have a problem.....

On the Fifth Day there was MMS,,,,and this is where most of you will have a question. All I can say is that my P800 functions perfectly with these settings in conjunction with the upcoming WAP Account Settings, so,,,use mine, use someone else's, just don't try to tell me these don't work on T-Mobile in Alabama.

Advanced Settings:

Send:

Receive:

Now hit done until you are back at Messaging Accounts and select "Alerts".

Here is your opportunity to customize the alert you get from the P800 when a message arrives. "Jack Nicholson's quote from the Shining" is my favorite for an arriving MMS.

Now, hit "Done" and you are back at "Control Panel"

On the Sixth Day,,, there was WAP,,,at least if you want all your work on the Fifth Day to result in anything good..

From "Control Panel" tap "WAP Accounts":

[img]://www.pbase.com/image/14582031.jpg[/img]
    Create your account or hit "edit" if you already have. Your basic information should be as follows with the exception of your phone number and password for your T-Mobile account.

Preferred Tab:

Now tap "Done" until you are back to Control Panel.

And on the Seventh Day,,,,

Well,,,,you didn't think I was going to rest did you???
    Last edited by howard; 03-22-2003 at 04:20 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T in US,
    Feedback Score
    That was really great Mark, I think people will find it very helpful. You are a photo maniac !!!

Now, the further question is, can you connect to WAP pages via CSD (the +19132440821 number)? If so, what settings do you have there? I still cannot do it with success (also, in NYC the GPRS has been up, down, and not functioning well for almost 10 days now. T-Mobile confirms the problem.)

And, on the seventh day, I went to Jamaica too with my wife -- (only had MCA-20 then )

Last edited by jeffharris; 02-04-2003 at 10:08 AM.
    Jeff
    [email protected]
    www.jeffharris.com

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7100T
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile & Swisscom
    Feedback Score
    Excellent job, as always. Thank you.

Device(s)
    iPhone IIIgs
    Carrier(s)
    Main: Cingular(US)
    Feedback Score
    Cool
    I will leave this here for a few days then move a copy of it in the ericsson FAQ
    Club-Admiralty - my site

Phone History: Maxon MX-3204; Nokia 7110; Nokia 8290; Ericsson T28w; Nokia 8890; Ericsson T68; SE P800; Nokia 7190; HTC Blue Angel; LG L1400; Nokia 1100; Blackberry 8703; Nokia N80; Nokia 6126; Motorola V3xx, iPhone IIIgs

I Lurk, therefore I am

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the nifty pics Simple set up - however I have a question - all of my stuff seemed to work out of the box (i.e. SMS, Internet, etc.) - The only thing I can't get to work or don't understand how to get to work is the T-Zones WAP thing. I tried following what you had, but didn't understand I entered everything in, but when I called T-Mobile (who were TOTALLY clueless) and talked to their Tier II wireless data group, they told me that I should NOT check a proxy server?????? I am so confused - has anyone in the states (i'm in Chicago) had any luck setting up the WAP? Thanks in advance all.

burbboy78
    "Dawn will be kind, home will be bright, lonely shadow rise from the darkness... Dream a dream and see through angel's eyes a place where we can fly away..."

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7100T
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile & Swisscom
    Feedback Score
    I have somewhat different WAP settings than Bengalboy and it is working fine on T-Mobile. Hope this will help you.

Server:
    User name and password required - unchecked
    User name - leave blank
    Password - leave blank
    Address - wap.voicestream.com

Get IP address automatically - checked
    Get DNS address automatically - checked

Proxy:
    Use proxy server - unchecked

Other:
    Enable PPP extensions - checked
    Authentication - Normal

QoS:
    Same as Bengalboy

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh my god! You know what worked perfectly for me? Just go to http://www.sonyericsson.com and click on Global Support. Follow the links and eventually you will get to WAP Configurator, MMS Configurator, and E-Mail Configurator. It was SO COOL! It sent a SMS to my phone and it set up everything by itself. Everything works great now How cool was that! =)

Burbboy78

Device(s)
    Motorola MpX, iMate JAM 416 mhz WiFi & GPS enabled "Road Warrior" & NextLink "Model #1 5G" Headset
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Burbouy, first of all, at the beginning of the thread I have stated what I call my disclaimer regarding other people or person's claims regarding these settings. I DON'T care what T-Mobile says', as most of them don't know their way around a T68i, much less the P800. These settings work perfectly for me and took much fiddeling with. I learned these settings from others here on the board and refined them with the help of members like Aleman, DupaSquire, DNA and others. So, my advice is to input them exactly as I did with the exception of internet2 or internet3, depends which address you are to use. And let it fly!!

Jeff, I have never input the dialup information because of the GPRS service. I can certainly do it and post my results if people like, but, I never had a need for it and therefore have not done it. By the way, HOT WIFE & smart to boot! Just don't ever cross a woman & a Lawyer! LOL!

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Bengalboy
    Burbouy, first of all, at the beginning of the thread I have stated what I call my disclaimer regarding other people or person's claims regarding these settings. I DON'T care what T-Mobile says', as most of them don't know their way around a T68i, much less the P800. These settings work perfectly for me and took much fiddeling with. I learned these settings from others here on the board and refined them with the help of members like Aleman, DupaSquire, DNA and others. So, my advice is to input them exactly as I did with the exception of internet2 or internet3, depends which address you are to use. And let it fly!!

Jeff, I have never input the dialup information because of the GPRS service. I can certainly do it and post my results if people like, but, I never had a need for it and therefore have not done it. By the way, HOT WIFE & smart to boot! Just don't ever cross a woman & a Lawyer! LOL!
    True Sir Bengalboy, True You rock man Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures It definately does help slow people like me figure out how to use this awesome hardware =) Keep it up man!

Burbboy78

Device(s)
    P800
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score

Dialup

Great job Bengalboy.

You and the other "P800 gurus" should put together a "P800 for Dummies Book". I am serious. You obviously couldn't call it that, but I for one would pay for a manual that puts together the key things we need to make this awesome machine purr.

I like Jeff would appreciate the dial up step by step. i also am having trouble with T Mobile dial up on east coast.

Thanks again man...... great job !!

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How do I open my flip (keypad) if I have AT&T ?

anyone,
    anyone?
    Nate Blonde

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T in US,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Bengalboy
    Well, Mark, besides T-Mobile worldwide, you can't use GPRS in most places (including Caribbean), simply because either it doesn't exist, or there is no GPRS roaming, so CSD will be something I need in the coming months. I can't see anything wrong with my settings, and now we have a couple of collabratives that confirm my inabilities of CSD on T-mo with P800.

Anyone able to use CSD successfully on T-Mo with their P800?

And thanks for the compliment Mark, it's a nice one coming from a models' fiancee -- she is actually one of the nicest lawyers (an oxymoron ?) you could ever meet -- she has put back together couples, and forfeitted big retainers, just because she believes in marriage!! And you misquoted the saying -- it's "Just don't ever cross a woman ..." Period!!
    Last edited by jeffharris; 02-04-2003 at 03:30 PM.

Device(s)
    P800
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    you can cross them, as long as your not married to them I';d like to see thos settings for csd also. im gonna have to bug the rabbit
    jeff, sent my p800 yesterday to robb, should have it back tomorrow with r1d, hope if resolves bt problems with pc.
    adios
    Stan
    toyz for big boyz

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T in US,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dapope
    you can cross them, as long as your not married to them
    Not true -- I guess you don't have an ex-wife , yet one from hell like I do.

I';d like to see thos settings for csd also. im gonna have to bug the rabbit
    jeff, sent my p800 yesterday to robb, should have it back tomorrow with r1d, hope if resolves bt problems with pc.
    I heard it does fix the Bluetooth/PC problems -- although, I bought this Mavin Bluetooth CF card, after getting sick of this Anycom CF card, except the promised drivers for Windows XP did not come with the Mavin, so I can't even do bluetooth yet. I know, I know, I should just buy a USB dongle bluetooth, but I don't want something hangin' off the computer.

Device(s)
    P800
    Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    im having problems with 3com usb dongle, it finds and works perfectly with my t68i tho.
    got 2 ex's , learned my lesson, just dont marry them anymore

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast