Thread: O2, GPRS and Picture Messaging together?

Feedback Score

O2, GPRS and Picture Messaging together?

I have just upgraded my phone to a Motorola V600, the previous phone did GPRS but not Picture messaging.

I got the phone SIM only and it seems I can not send picture messages.

I phoned O2 to get Picture messaging enabled, but they said that if I have GPRS I can not have picture messaging...

They said they are changing this in the near future, but not yet.

This sounds wrong to me, I can not see why, technically, they can not have both together.

Does anyone know better whether this is true?

Barry

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) UP.Link/5.1.1a)

Well, it depends what billing system you're on. A newer one like DISE or Geneva lets you, but older ones, perhaps Jupiter & CCL won't. You can have MMS & WAP GPRS together, but not MMS & MobileWeb GPRS unfortunately - it's just because these are older billing systems set up long before MMS was around. You could migrate to another system, porting your number across - but it would be another 12 months on your contract. Cheers

Feedback Score
    I guessed it might be the billing system rather than the phone/network technology.

I assumed WAP GPRS came before MobileWeb GPRS, so it seems strange that the billing system for a newer technology is "less capable"...

Anyway I will see how long they take to sort it out, when my current contract is up I will look to change providers....Only problem is how do you work out what providers have the right billing system....

Barry

Feedback Score
    Well, AFAIK this only affects older customers (certainly on O2), who were initially connected to these billing systems before such technologies were in use.

Hmmm... from your WAP vs. MobileWeb comment I'm not sure if you entirely got what I meant. There is not a billing system for each technology, rather for sets of customers. For example, I have 3 phones, all with O2 (duh!), one is on Geneva and 2 are on DISE (two of the many billing systems). On both of these I can happily run MMS, WAP GRPS and MobileWeb GPRS at the same time. However, had I connected 5 years ago and always been on the same billing system this may not be the case. The billing system is determined by where and when you connected.

As far as I'm aware, customers on older platforms, such as Jupiter, are now being moved over to Geneva (the newest platform), though I'm not 100% when this is going to be finished. This, however, only applies if you are connected directly through O2, and not through third-party billing agents, such as SinglePoint, Cellular Operations, etc. Admitedly, this makes for some complicated situations, but unfortunately this is how it is... All thanks to how the original mobile licences were issued (×××× competition laws )

Anyway, any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Ah, I see what you mean now, assumed they had different boxes connected together to do the billing rather than one system that gets software upgraded when new features come along.

Anyway, the wonders of customer loyalty, 15 years with o2, seems like I need a change to be able to give them more money

Barry

Feedback Score
    Yeah, sometimes these things are crazy... However, hopefully they'll move all of the old customers from the old legacy systems onto more capable and up-to-date ones soon.

I'd speak to someone at customer services about staying with them but shifting over to a newer billing system. If it's O2 direct you deal with maybe name drop Geneva... see where that gets you. If they can't, well it's totally up to you what you wanna do - if they can, well then you're sorted.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll see what happens by the time my current contract is up in a couple of months time, on eof the reasons for going SIM free on the V600 was to leave my options open, as the coverage at my current home (in the wilds of Basingstoke ), and if the local council keep refusing the masts going up I guess a move to AN Other network with a mast already up will be in order.

Barry

Device(s)
    Samsung E700
    Carrier(s)
    O2
    Feedback Score
    Your problem seem really strange, as im on o2 payasyougo i i have bioth gprs, mobile web and mms messaging. I dont see how you can't have gprs and mms as you need the gprs to send the pictures! or maybe im just confusing my self.

Feedback Score
    I think it is as josepho indicated, it is a billing issue, not a phone/network one.

As usual the guys with the purse strings are well behind the techinical guys

Barry

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Tkrockeruk
    Your problem seem really strange, as im on o2 payasyougo i i have bioth gprs, mobile web and mms messaging. I dont see how you can't have gprs and mms as you need the gprs to send the pictures! or maybe im just confusing my self.
    Yes, you're correct in saying that you need GPRS to send MMS messages. barryp does have GRPS - but only the WAP GPRS, which is all that's needed for MMS. What he was wanting though was both MobileWeb GPRS & MMS (since MMS automatically means WAP GPRS).

You'd think just one GPRS APN (Access Point Node) would be enough... but, hey, I don't make those sorts of decisions.

Cheers