Thread: Problems getting an upgrade phone?!

Device(s)
    Motorla V120c
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Problems getting an upgrade phone?!

My 2160 is pretty much dead so I thought I'd call up and see about upgrading my phone. Ive been with cantel for 6 years, and am no longer on a term plan.

I've beeen waiting for the Nokia 3360, but when I called about an upgrade, they said that one wasnt available.

They offered me a 5165 for $200..... Its only $149 at Future Shop. (And free for new customers!?)

Seems kinda silly that I can sign up as a new customer and get a phone for $25 or free (FS has the 3360 for $25 after rebates + accessory kit), but an existing customer cant get a similar deal.

Any suggestions, ideas? I dont see why cantel gives new customers such great deals, and existing customers get nothing.

I was pretty upset, since my phone doesnt work and I dont want to spend $200 for a new phone. They didnt seem to care if I canceled my plan or not....

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers GSM
    Feedback Score
    Well.. something like that happen to my StarTac about 2 years ago... My StarTac fall apart after my 1 year contact.... \

I just cancel and get out... They aren't the ONLY Mobile Phone provider around.!!!

When I asked the guy in the store to upgarde my phone after 1 year.... they say Rogers only allow you to upgarde every 2 years... or you have to pay the "FULL PRICE"

And for sure, you could upgrade your phone after 2 years! (BUT YOU HAVE TO LOCKED IN A CONTACT FOR 1 or 2 YEARS). Because, I seen people doing it while I am getting my StarTec 2 years ago! Just goto the Rogers/AT & T stores... don't call Rogers Reps they f##king try to screw you! And I been told that Rogers give some kind of bonus for the STORE that sell more Cell-Phones.. so you will get much better help in a store then on the phone!

Where do you live? If you live in Toronto, goto those Chinese Malls (Up in Steel and Kenndy) (PACFIC MALL)... They got great deal! For some reason, they give better deal to the Chineses!!! $0 for a Nokia 8260 with 2 years contract... If you goto the Rogers website, it ask for $199!!!

Plus they give you a free Carrying Case and a Car Charger! I got that free when I got my phone.. and they still doing that!!

By the way, if you wanted to upgrade your phone... you may want to wait for the GSM launch on October...
    Last edited by CL; 08-17-2001 at 02:09 PM.

Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Even though I was in the middle of my contract I was told I could get a subsidy buying a new phone, if I signed to a 2-year contract starting then. Of couse I still wouldn't get the same deal as if I were a new customer.
    -LT.

I want my planet back!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

HW UPGRADES:

I think we should start a campaign against Rogers for limiting exisiting customers to new phones without having to pay an arm and leg. Especially people with phones for more than 3 years who's batteries are probably dying and to buy a new battery isn't justifiable since a new phone is about the same price.

After all, existing customers still have to sign a two year contract to get the hardware upgrade rebate and it already is much less compared to activating a new account.

Rogers also doesn't get the point that we can just cancel our service and sign up again to get the deal. Unless you want to keep your phone number.

Finally I'm pretty upset that the 3360 isn't available as an upgrade. That's so BS. Existing customers are treated like slaves... it's like eat this crap or leave it. New customers are more important.
    EF

Device(s)
    Motorla V120c
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

At least someone agrees with me

I've tried twice to upgrade my phone and both offers were no where near as good as a new user could get.

I dont mind signing another 2/3 year contract, but I didnt pay for the phone in the first place, so why should I pay now. I just want the same deal as a new user would get. I'd even pay the $25.00 fee again...

PS. I saw the 3360 at London Drugs for $149.00. I havent confirmed if thats the price just to buy. The add sas $0 after the two $75 rebates...

Seeing how rogers is changing its network, I dont know if I really want to sign up again or wait for the GSM phones...

Arghh.....

Device(s)
    SE T610
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

re..

for what i know is.. even roger change to new network.. which is GSM.. the reception will not as good as TDMA (his own network now..)

the reason is.. it is new.. need time to improve.. and not much money to building it... thats why they delay the date to introduce GSM.. (from this summer to this november... and still not sure the exact date)

if u want to change a new phone... there is so many choices.. get a sanyo5000 from telus.. u can say that is so expensive ($427)... but their $25 plan is really really cheap compare with other providers...
    or if u want.. get a 3390 from Fido.. (3390 is lighter than 3360) the good reason is.. u will be a new customer.. only have to pay $88 including all accessories.. and the main point is.. no contract.. u can change your phone whenever u want..

of cause.. if u want to stay with roger.. just threaten the sales in the store.. trust me.. just say u r a very old customer for 6 years.. but even cannot get a new phone.. nonreasonable... then they will give u a great deal.. some of my friends even can refund their phone after used it for 3 months.. =)

but.. actually.. dunno why u cannot get a new phone.. my friends in roger can get a new 8260 for free after 2 years contract.. this is free...
    Everytime when we say good-bye...
    you got a tear drop in your eye....

-- HOFO Feedback --

-- Ebay Feedback --

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-09D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Problems getting an upgrade phone?!

Originally posted by insomniac
    My 2160 is pretty much dead so I thought I'd call up and see about upgrading my phone. Ive been with cantel for 6 years, and am no longer on a term plan.

I've beeen waiting for the Nokia 3360, but when I called about an upgrade, they said that one wasnt available.

They offered me a 5165 for $200..... Its only $149 at Future Shop. (And free for new customers!?)

Seems kinda silly that I can sign up as a new customer and get a phone for $25 or free (FS has the 3360 for $25 after rebates + accessory kit), but an existing customer cant get a similar deal.

Any suggestions, ideas? I dont see why cantel gives new customers such great deals, and existing customers get nothing.

I was pretty upset, since my phone doesnt work and I dont want to spend $200 for a new phone. They didnt seem to care if I canceled my plan or not....

well abt the upgrade program... they dont allow new phones to be in their upgrade program for atleast a month...... unless you goto a store to do a upgrade.. and they also decide how much they charge you on the upgrade depending on your price plan.. if your only paying $25 a month dont expect to get a free phone even if you've been a cx for 6 yrs... just think of it this way.. the more money you spend a month.. the more nicer they are to you... 8)..

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-09D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: re..

Originally posted by YingKit
    for what i know is.. even roger change to new network.. which is GSM.. the reception will not as good as TDMA (his own network now..)

actually i have a friend who's working in the gsm network.. and she gets to test out one of the new motorola phone... and she called me for a test.. and i could hear her very good.. and she says the reception so far is very good... i forgot what phone she told me she was using but.. she says the wap feature on the phone sucks tho... but the reception wise for the gsm network is pretty good.....

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-09D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: re..

Originally posted by YingKit

but.. actually.. dunno why u cannot get a new phone.. my friends in roger can get a new 8260 for free after 2 years contract.. this is free...
    thats cause it s the 8260.. its been out for a long time. even tho its only lbeen out for less then a yr... but is concidered a old phone... 3360 is new less then a month old.. so of course they wont be able to give him the 3360 as a upgrade for a cheap price.... and yesh i know.. new customers can get it a 0 at stores... rogers just do that to get more customers... and yesh i know they should also try to retain customers rather than lose them.... but also before they try to retain you.. they will look at your record at rogers... and if your a bad customer... ex... dont pay for bills on time,... have a be huge previous payment.. or your not a high usuage customer... they will try to attempt to get you back .. but if you complain too much.. then they will just let you go...

Device(s)
    Motorola 270c
    Feedback Score
    The problem is these phones "are not" really the in store price, they are in fact worth much more. If the companies give huge discounts on the already discounted in store price, they have to raise other fees and services, and no one ever agrees with that either. Thus there is a time frame on how many "upgrades" you can do.

Can you blame rogers for wanting to activate more customers to their network? I sure cannot. Any company is out to make a profit, and the more people on the network the more prosperous it is. Are they failing a customer, who already recieved a large discount on their existing phone, by not giving them another one, and thus incorporating more red inc for that particular customer? Maybe. Maybe not. You have to remember at times that these providers are selling the service on the phone, and the handset is the creation of the manfacturer. These devices are complex everchanging, little digital organisms, and "stuff" can happen. In many cases the existing customer tends to forget about this in his current situation of having an active account with hardware that is malfunctioning, or not working as intended. This gray area of cellular in many cases is often not set out in stone, and thus the confusion involved.

This hardware trend does not seem to follow in other industries "ie: you cancel your cable tv subscription because your tv went on the fritze and you need to buy a new one" but it does with cell phones. As well, all the promotions that went on your cable account when you first signed up, well if you buy a new tv, do you get these all over again? Usually not, your relegated to the promotions for existing customers.

Dreaderus