Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 3vws Tutorial + Settings for Mpegable X4 Live... To make Hi Rez MP4s for your P900

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

3vws Tutorial + Settings for Mpegable X4 Live... To make Hi Rez MP4s for your P900

A screen shot from one of my favorite movies... Fifth Element.

Well guys ever since Mark posted the thread BengalBoy's Bible" How to Burn & Turn your P900 into a Mobile Theatre.. Ive been somewhat consumed with the idea of converting DVDs into MP4s that I could both personally enjoy and show off this wonderful feature we have on our P900s. Im very thankful to Bengalboy for sharing a simple and straight forward approach in taking us from a DVD all the way through to a finished MP4 that is very playable on our P900s.

Simple as it may be, there was one thing that bothered me though and that was the low quality of the image that was rendered using the standard PV Author default P800 Profile Settings. So I set out through trial and error to see if I could improve upon what the experts (thats what Mark calls um) gave us.

What I learned after a week of going around in circles (many hours) with PV Author was that I just didnt have enough control over the settings to achieve what I wanted... less pixelization and improved resolution. Yes I could increase the bitrate to help out but if I increased the size also (say from 194x144 to 320x224) it would become jerky and unacceptable to watch. I learned a lot by messing around with the various settings in PV Author but in the end I just couldnt get anything I was satisfied with... So I turned to another converter... Mpegable.

To start out I was very impressed from the minute I opened Mpegable X4 Live. Having learned the ropes with PV Author I could now understand many of the things I wouldnt have if I just went blind into Mpegable. A simple analogy I would use to compare Mpegable to PV Author would be like comparing Paint to PhotoShop. The ability to choose and adjust things in Mpegable is just great... but requires some know how before proceeding. Thankfully I had PV Author as my trainer to help me to understand what the basics were.

So what has Mpegable allowed me to do... well most of you have already been downloading the various sample movie trailers Ive been posting on HoFo over the last week or so and can testify that the quality of the video in them is quite superior to what most mp4 conversions you see offered for the P900 look like (I like to call it Hi Rez). Even better than the demo Hole in one mp4 that came packaged on your P900.

Well, as I promised that I would share my settings with you on how I did it...I will now share them along with this (hopefully) easy to follow tutorial on how to use Mpegable.

Ill be starting with a mpeg1 file as my sample file to be converted to a mp4 with Mpegable.

Ill even supply you with this short MPEG1 file (21.9Mb) for you to download and use for the tutorial that follows. (I thought the most appropriate movie file for this tutorial would be the SE Advertisement HERE (just right click on the link and Save Target As to your Desktop)

(Note: If you want to know how to rip a DVD into a mpeg1 file, I suggest you go to Bengalboys thread HERE and spend some time there learning how to do that.
    If youre having problems with ripping your DVDs to Mpeg1 please address that in Bengalboys thread... Im sure hell be glad to help you out with any problems youre having)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MPEGABLE TUTORIAL

Now to start out youll need to download the free trial version of Mpegable X4 Live from HERE and install it on your computer.

1- Open Mpegable and you should see a window that looks something like this below.

(Note: Ive rearranged and resized the windows so my view may look a little different than what you see when opening this program. You will also have to put up with that dicas logo in the upper left corner of your finished file until you pay for and register the program)

2- The first thing we are going to do is choose that mpeg1 file (SonyAdvert.mpg) that you downloaded for this tutorial and load it.
    In the Input- #1 section click on the BROWSE button (red oval) to open your selection window to browse your Desktop and then find and select the SonyAdvert.mpg file.
    Just double click on that file and it should load in the window under Input #1 box.

3- Next click on the Image Preprocessing tab

4- You should now see the window below.
    Next click on the SETUP box under the Cropping / Resizing category.

5- You should now see a new window open like in the picture below.
    You will now need to check User defined and then enter in the Resize box 240 x 196 (Note; Even though you clicked on the User defined selection it may not register a black DOT but just go ahead and enter the numbers... it should allow you to do so anyways)

Notice that when you entered 240 it automatically registers 196 for the other entry. Its because we have the auto Constrain Proportions feature checked

Now click the OK box

(FYI I always use 240 for the first entry when resizing for my "Hi Rez" converting. Though the second entry of 196, I can and will change to 174 depending upon the original mpeg1 movie file that I am converting... read more about this variation after the Tutorial in my comment section)

6- Next click on the Video Encoding tab.

7- You should now have the window open as below.
    Change the "Video Bitrate" to 396 and also change the Bitrate Control to Constant Bitrate Mode
    And just to be sure, check the other settings under both Preferred Quality and MPEG GOV Structure to see that they also match what is shown..

8- Next click on the Video Processing tab.

9- You should now see this window below.
    Click on User defined under the Target Framerate and also change the rate to 10 Hz.

10- Next click on the Interoperability tab.

11- You should now see this window as below
    Select MPEG-4 and click on Simple Profile under the Video Profile section.
    Also note that the AAC LC Audio Profile is selected.

12- Next click on the Audio Encoding tab

13- You should now see this window below
    Next change the Audio Bitrate in the Bitrate box to 24 kBit/s on the drop down menu.
    Select Mono under the Channels box.
    And also set the Sample Rate Conversion to 22050 Hz

14- Now return to the Basic I/O screen by clicking on that tab.

15- You should now be back to the main window as seen below and we are just about ready to convert.

(Note: I would like to add that you can change the MP4s file name in the Output #2 box before we go ahead and convert... its not necessary at all, but just something you may wish to do in future conversions)

16- OK... Click on the Red Dot and sit back and watch the conversion role. (it should look something like what you see below)

If all went well you should now have this new SonyAdvert.mp4 (4 Mb) file sitting on your Desktop ready for transfer to your P900 and enjoy!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

COMMENTS:

Well, I hope this Tutorial worked for you and you can now make your own Hi Rez MP4s the same way as I do... I bet you cant wait to put a few of your own files through the converter and see what happens. (maybe some of you might even want to share your converted MP4s by uploading them to ShovelhEds ftp site... thanks again Sean)

Here are a few things Id like to comment on though ...

One of the first things to realize when converting MP4s to these Hi Rez settings, is that it requires about 2 Mb (+ or -) of storage for every minute of video recording. In other words, you wont be able to fit a full length movie on a single 128 Mb MS Duo anymore. (Like you can using the P800 Profile settings). You will now have to break up a movie into segments of 45- 50 mins. and place it on several 128 Duos (recording at this kind of quality can be expen$ive... to bad we cant use a 256 Mb MS Duo in our P900s ).

Personally I dont care if I have to go through this process of using several Duos to have a complete movie at my disposal. I just carry the extra memory sticks in my wallet and swap them out when necessary. I presently own (5) 128s and can exchange content on them very easily with the use of my Sony TR1s convenient MS reader thats built right into its side. (See pic below)

IMO Id rather have a great quality video image to view and go through the process of changing Sticks than settle for a highly pixelated, color banded, un-involving image that I can fit on just 1 MS Duo.
    Anyhow most of the video clips and movie trailers (music vids included) arent really that long so they dont even enter into this issue.

Next you might ask how I go about segmenting a 2hr movie file. Mpegable has an option built in to start and stop your recording process which will allow you to do exactly what is needed. I know I didnt cover that feature in the Tutorial because I think you can figure that out by yourself... but if need be Ill try and help you out with this feature also.

The next thing I want to comment on is my final resize setting of 240 x 196. I spent a lot of time trying to develop an image in a larger resolution (i.e.320 x 208... or just anything larger than 240 x 196) and just couldnt come up with the same kind of image quality you see with my present setting. To try and simply explain (what I believe to be the problem) is that the larger you make the image the more you need to fill it with detail. For instance, Im at 240 x 196 and use a 396 k/Bit fill. If I was to maintain this same kind of quality and to fill a 320 x 208 screen I would literally have to up the bitrate a lot more... and believe me its high enough already to be taxing the limits of our precious little P900s (156Mhz processor and/or the limitations of the PacketVideo Player on board the P900) and furthermore, I have also discovered that I am already at the limit of not being able to add anymore (total bitrate... meaning both video and audio combined) to the conversion without suffering some form or another of a problem. (i.e. video jerkiness and/or audio skipping)

You may have noticed that I am at a conservatively low audio setting (24 k/bit @ 22 kHz mono) and believe me theres nothing more Id like to do but up this too. Stereo would be even better but just try it at this audio setting and see how awful it sounds.(you just need to be at a higher bitrate to utilize stereo in the mix)
    So playing the video at my chosen settings I am forced to keep the audio down or the problems reoccur (i.e. jerkiness in the video) If you wish to improve the audio, you can always compromise my video (bitrate) settings by reducing them and then you can increase your audio (bitrate).settings. Just play around for yourself and youll see what I mean.

Another thing that I mentioned in my Tutorial above, is changing the second entry of resizing from 196 to a lower number (I will often choose 174 in my movie converting). I have found by changing this second number I am able to somewhat fool the scaling aspect of the P900 into making a better image than what it would yield by just leaving it in the Constrain Proportions mode as the default is set on Mpegable. It does somewhat distort the final aspect ratio of the file but I have found I sometimes prefer this against a more pixelated image that a 196 entry gives... this again is just my personal observation and preference.

Well as you can see I can go on and on with this and dont even begin to share the whys and wherefores of all that I did in my experimenting. What I really wanted to do here is give a EZ 2 follow guide on how to use Mpegable for the novice (that will yield the Hi Rez quality) and at the same time also give to those who have been requesting my settings (those who know how to navigate Mpegable already) the ability to duplicate what I have discovered on my own... I hope I have succeeded at both!

Thanks again to everyone who enjoyed and complimented me on my Movie Trailers and were patient till I was able to put this together.

Last edited by vwvwvw; 01-08-2004 at 07:02 PM.
    3vw

Device(s)
    SE P900 + Bluespoon
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers ATT&T
    Feedback Score
    3vw...thanks for the great tutorial. I've been delaying getting Mpegable until you put out your tutorial on how to do it properly having followed the other threads on how to do it properly quite closely. Now I have no reason to put it off anymore!

Thanks for the efforts and all of the great trailers...I've impressed many people with them so far!

Keep up the good work!

Also...real quick...do the Creative TravelSound speakers work well with the P900?
    Last edited by C20LET; 01-08-2004 at 07:08 PM.

Device(s)
    V802SE
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility and
    Feedback Score
    heheh great stuff. GOing to try it with Mpegable and Squeeze.. a shootout so to speak.,

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanx C20LET...

Ever since I bought my first Travelsound Speaker system (I now own 3 of them... gota have back-ups lol) Ive been very impressed with its performance while using it with my P900. I love to play Movie Trailers for ppl (seeing most ppl can only give you a minute of viewing time anyways) and show off the portability of the P900 and Travelsound set-up. Whats nice is that the Travelsound seems to even improve the sound of my MP4s (thats compared to the P900s internal speaker) while not accentuating the problems that are inherent in the low quality that the MP4 was recorded in.

The Trailers Ive made for the P900 usually have a wide dynamic range (i.e. Spiderman II) and when played through the Combo it just leave ppl shocked with the shear volume of the presentation. In fact, they are so impressed with the Trailer that they go on talking about the movie and forget how they were able to view this kind of presentation on just my cellphone! I take that as a compliment to its ability to effectively entertain.

If you go to Creatives website and look at the specs on this little speaker system youll see they claim a frequency response that goes down to 150 Hz!!! Thats phenomenal for such a tiny little (Titanium) driver(s) that are in the Travelsound.

Maybe Ill do a freq sweep on them to actually see what the 3db down point is. Some times the manufactures likes to strreeetch the specs a little too far.

I know theyre a bit expensive but I think youll find them worth it if you like to listen to MP3s or watch MP4s in style. Just be sure to get the adapter to properly convert the output of your P900 so you dont short the mic circuit while using your phone this way.

Shovelhed..

I havent played around with Squeeze yet myself so youve got my interest... keep us posted.

Device(s)
    P900
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I can't believe that it's finally here: THE TUTORIAL

I haven't even read through it yet but I wanted to be one of the first of many to thank you for sharing your many, many hours of hard work.

OK, OK... enough of this shameless praise and admiration. I need to start reading and learning. Thanks again Don.

Device(s)
    SE P900 + Bluespoon
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers ATT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by vwvwvw
    Thanx C20LET...

I know theyre a bit expensive but I think youll find them worth it if you like to listen to MP3s or watch MP4s in style. Just be sure to get the adapter to properly convert the output of your P900 so you dont short the mic circuit while using your phone this way.
    You can skimp on price to get quality that's for sure. With devices like this, going half-a**ed isn't a good thing. Don't want to make this a TravelSound thread really, but maybe someone else can benefit from the answer to the question. Which adapter are you talking about it? The 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter I take it?..or...

My best 'trailer' experience was with your Shrek 2 trailer. Was waiting for the LOTR to start and was showing off to my friend and then this guy and his girlfriend behind us are like 'is that Shrek 2'?. Let them watch the trailer and they were quite happy (Shrek fans obviously). Then during the previews the actual preview was played and started skipping and such. The theatre had to stop playing it and started the movie instead. After the movie the couple thanked me since they wouldn't have seen the trailer without the P900! Made my day!

Hope to show off more now that you've shared your wisdom with us!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    That's a great story C20LET... it made me :laughs:

Device(s)
    P900
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vwvwvw

OK, I have read through the tutorial and I see that I was not too far away from getting that great 3VW quality video. I have just converted a couple of files using the settings and I finally have that 3VW look.

Question: I mostly am interested in watching TV shows and/or movies, both ripped from DVD or TIVO. Is there a preference for ripping at a specific quality or for starting with a specific resolution prior to conversion with mpegable?

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    SE K700i
    Carrier(s)
    Starhub
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by vwvwvw

.. long tutorial cut short
    Finally the settings .. Must try those before my trial runs out. Thanks V-Dub x 3

Device(s)
    Sony EricssonV800/S700i
    Carrier(s)
    3G MTC-Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the tutorial 3VW

Technically I'm useless but, I'll give it a go and see what I can do. I'm 100% I'll give up after 5 minutes of trying though.

Thank you...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I came here to check out something, but somehow this thread got all STICKY. Oh well.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by L Bo
    I came here to check out something, but somehow this thread got all STICKY. Oh well.
    I don't feel very stuck up . .. still looks pretty slippery to me!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Whatchutalkingboutwillis?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    GordonGecko,

I have been using mpeg1 files exclusively as my source so far... Ive tried a couple of avis from DVD Ripper but didnt like what I saw compared to using mpeg1 as a source file.

I also use another program called EO-Video to convert Quicktime (.mov) files to mpeg1 then Mpegable.

I havent done anything in regards to TV shows... What are you using to capture your TV shows? (and in what file of type?)

Jalal,

Just give it a try... I used my wife as a guinea pig to see if she could do it (she doesnt know anything about this stuff) It went just fine for her! If she can do it you know what...

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by L Bo
    Whatchutalkingboutwillis?
    It stopped a slip-in NOW... I just didn't see it a happen-in after you posted the first time. I guess it took a while for it to take a hold!

many thanx L Bo

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast